Goodbye Jesus

Fun with believers! What happens when the thing you pray for happens before you get a chance to pray?

Daffodil

Got a mission letter from a friend that is still heavily steeped in the fairytale.  Her husband is overseas and asked for prayer about an important decision his group had to make.  Because of the time difference, the decision was made while the prayer request was still going out.  So she then goes on about how prayer is still effectual even if it is "late".  She cited something C. S. Lewis wrote about how the prayer can still affect god's decision because he is timeless and sees all at all times.  ?  Smack . . . My . . . Head!  There is so much wrong with this, even from a CHRISTIAN perspective!  So, god, who is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and all the other "omnis", needs you to chime in with your opinion?  You really think you have anything to say that would sway the maker of the universe?  What about what I was told, that prayer is not for changing god's mind, but for changing my heart?  Which is it?  Is he a candy machine or not?   So glad I'm not struggling with that crap anymore!

I used to absolutely love Lewis.  I even thought he was a bit counterculture at the time.  Unbelievable!  

• Like 2

The Christian version of prayer results: I make bullshit up to support my belief in an omnipotent being for which there is no evidence.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

You really think you have anything to say that would sway the maker of the universe?  

Every church in my city was praying on a 'prayer chain' for my sister to live for 24 hours. And I was down on my knees for a few hours myself begging and pleading. Didn't work for her. I guess he wanted to bring her 'home' and leave her 2 children without their mother. They had a very hard life because we couldn't sway god to change 'his' mind.....

Prick. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

TL;DR Christian version: I make bullshit up to support my belief in an omnipotent being for which there is no evidence.

TL;DR!?  Seriously?

28 minutes ago, Margee said:

Every church in my city was praying on a 'prayer chain' for my sister to live for 24 hours. And I was down on my knees for a few hours myself begging and pleading. Didn't work for her. I guess he wanted to bring her 'home' and leave her 2 children without their mother. They had a very hard life because we couldn't sway god to change 'his' mind.....

Prick. 

Oh I'm so sorry, Margee.  Same thing happened with my dad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

TL;DR!?  Seriously?

That might have been the wrong thing to put: I was attempting a sarcastic punch at Christians and basically they pull shit out their mouths to justify their beliefs.

I read your entire post... I wasn't saying your post was TL.... my bad. I've correct my post to read better.

*Cookie*?

efee84ff6d42a1834a45bd84fb3b42d8.png

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

That might have been the wrong thing to put: I was attempting a sarcastic punch at Christians and basically they pull shit out their mouths to justify their beliefs.

I read your entire post... I wasn't saying your post was TL.... my bad. I've correct my post to read better.

*Cookie*?

efee84ff6d42a1834a45bd84fb3b42d8.png

Awww, sure!  I thought that was weird and wondered if you meant the Christian stuff.  No worries! :)

• Like 3

Then why aren't they praying for dead people to be healed of the diseases that killed them?

• Like 1

God knew what they needed before they even asked. How Great is Our GOD?!?!!

When we pray, God answers with a "Yes", "No", "Not yet" or "Dude, check again. I done got that shit covered!"

• Like 1

The excuses for failed prayer soon run very very thin for an unbeliever, yet for the faithful these "defences" sound rational and reasonable.

At risk of losing your home, pray to keep it, lose it anyway. !0 years of living on the poverty line in trailers, saving every penny and eventually being able to afford another home......Its a miracle, God heard your prayer and answered it 10 years later/

Got a nasty illness, pray for it to be healed and it isn't........God is testing you/God never gives you more than you can handle/Gods ways are not our ways.

Pray to find your car keys.....find them........Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, PROOF OF THE POWER OF THE LORD........................

Etc, etc, etc, unto to infinity   

• Super Moderator

"god is just testing your faith."

Doesn't the bible say that god has rendered unto every man the measure of his faith?  In other words, we have whatever faith god gave us?  How much faith, and how strong, was determined by god when he rendered it.  Why does he need to test it?  Doesn't he already know both the quantity and quality of what he gave us?  And why does he need to test it constantly?  How much proof does he need that what we have really is what he gave us?  Fucking bastard.