Sign in to follow this  
ContraBardus

Random interesting things thread...

This was pretty amazing...

A recent tweet from The Pope said "humility is not a virtue of the weak but of the strong who don’t have to treat others badly to feel important." You mean like god did with Job?

• Like 1

Just in case you were wondering how the axle in a car works.

• Like 1

This was cool...

mj0z512md7pz.jpg

4omc35u3setz.png

Here's a random tip that can save you some irritation and money.

If you ever need a program to do something specific on a computer [photo editing, word processing, troubleshooting specific things, or whatever].

Don't search for "free" or "download".

Instead search for "Open Source" to find what you need. This will help avoid 'limited free trials' and a lot of bloatware installations.

• Thanks 1

Guest Ann

@ContraBardus Do you have any advice on how to get around geographic restrictions when trying to watch a tv show online? I've been "dying" to watch The Orville but because I live in Belgium I cannot (according to the Fox website) because of geographic restrictions. I used to be able to find a full episode on youtube and although the quality was shite, I didn't care, now I can't use that method for The Orville fix. Yesterday I downloaded Betternet app, but it really didn't help or I'm not sure how to use the app properly after instillation. Or I just have to be patient and wait for Netflix to pick it up? I don't want to do anything illegal and am not sure if betternet app is legal?

On 11/16/2017 at 7:41 AM, Ann said:

@ContraBardus Do you have any advice on how to get around geographic restrictions when trying to watch a tv show online? I've been "dying" to watch The Orville but because I live in Belgium I cannot (according to the Fox website) because of geographic restrictions. I used to be able to find a full episode on youtube and although the quality was shite, I didn't care, now I can't use that method for The Orville fix. Yesterday I downloaded Betternet app, but it really didn't help or I'm not sure how to use the app properly after instillation. Or I just have to be patient and wait for Netflix to pick it up? I don't want to do anything illegal and am not sure if betternet app is legal?

Uninstall and delete Betternet. It's one of the worst VPN apps available and will infect you with malware.

If you absolutely need free, go with Windscribe. It's 10GB of free bandwidth a month and a much better option.

Honestly, it's worth paying for a VPN. They are absurdly cheap for what you get and usually offer multiple payment plans. All of the best VPNs cost less monthly than a subscription to Netflix. I recommend just paying for a year or two.

I'd recommend NordVPN, PIA, or IPVanish, in that order.

There is no "legal" way to get around geographic restrictions. The very act of circumventing them violates the law. The details of how serious a violation that is depend on where you are, but it is at least a violation of local licensing agreements.

That said, I've never heard of anyone getting arrested or prosecuted for this. It's kind of unenforceable.

In most countries a VPN is perfectly legal, just like torrenting is perfectly legal despite it being the #1 platform for piracy downloads. Both services have legitimate uses outside of their less legal uses.

VPN is a privacy tool, but can be used to circumvent regional restrictions because you can select where the server that acts as your IP address is located. I've done this to circumvent region blocks for Youtube videos before.

I don't know that this alone would be enough, as subscription based websites discern your location based on the e-mail address region or credit card billing address. Plus, other sites will block VPN access. Netflix does this and you won't be able to access the site if you're using a VPN. This is actually pretty rare as most sites don't care.

Your best bet to watch the Orville would be piracy and downloading the show via torrent. Site rules won't let anyone here help you with how to go about that. However, I will say that torrenting any pirate files without a VPN is a terrible idea.

You also need a decent anti-virus program and anti-malware.

Also, never ever download or torrent anything pirate file that comes in a zip or exe file. That's just asking for an infection. It's also why I recommend not downloading pirated games or other programs.

I'm kind of neutral on the whole piracy thing to be honest. I won't condone it, but also won't judge anyone for doing it. Especially in cases where it is the only available option.

Guest Ann

@ContraBardus Thanks for the info. Betternet deleted. I have never downloaded an app before, but was jonesing for The Orville.  I'm not computer savvy at all and appreciate your help and advice, even though I understood about half of what you said:fun: I'll just be patient as usual.

j1pmbccaip001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

c0nkstvdt4101.jpg

krc8p2yljk201.jpg

• Like 1

BX0hkYXxIf3AkD7tEhFdmni7m7Ft_lZHef57m8yR

• Like 2

phd051809s.gif

lnoFEkG.jpg

Since Easter is on April Fools this year do you think Jesus will come back and say "I actually came back to life on a Saturday, LOL, I pranked you guys so hard"

• Like 1

Random interesting things:

1. You have more computing power in your cell phone than all the computing power in all of NASA at the time of the Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969. Would you go to the Moon today using only your cell phone to run everything?

2. The first choice for Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz was Shirley Temple. (shudder) (Older)

No comment on Shirley Temple, but as you're an old sailor, have you ever seen a movie called Das Boot in German, or The Boat in English? There's more computing power in some hand-held calculators these days than that U Boat Crew had in their entire VHR (Vorhaltsrechner, or, loosely translated, Torpedo Speed Computer.) No wonder their Kaleuns (Skippers) and First Officers (Exec Officers) had to be as skilled as they were.

Casey

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.