Goodbye Jesus

Lets debate

Jon

I don't want any questioning people trolling on the net to be convinced to stay in Christianity because of a debate I played Yahweh's advocate in and won.

DB

Haha, the thought of this is hilarious... you know when you are so good at debating a side you don' agree with that people think you really believing what you are debating for. 

• Like 3

Haha, the thought of this is hilarious... you know when you are so good at debating a side you don' agree with that people think you really believing what you are debating for. 

I wasn't trying to sound conceded or anything. It's just I know when I was trying to keep my faith I would accept anything that remotely sounded reasonable. I was fully expecting LB to blast me out of the water already but I wanted him to fight for it. It's not a debate if I don't try to win lol.

DB

• Like 1

Sorry, not sticking to the rules formally because fuck @Jon - this is his fault.

Had some shit to deal with at home, including a pastor finally wanting to 'catch up' out of the blue after nearly a year. Have to wonder who's planning what.

I shall return and respond asap.

• Like 2

Sorry, not sticking to the rules formally because fuck @Jon - this is his fault.

Had some shit to deal with at home, including a pastor finally wanting to 'catch up' out of the blue after nearly a year. Have to wonder who's planning what.

I shall return and respond asap.

PosterJon has nothing to do with your agreement to enter the debate.  Stop whining.  Deal with it.  

• Like 1

PosterJon has nothing to do with your agreement to enter the debate.  Stop whining.  Deal with it.  

1) Bullshit. Jon is the one who said he wanted to debate in the first place. DarkBishop offered to step in on a lark - he asked someone else, namely a moderator, and not me. I am under no obligation to take this exchange anywhere near as seriously as I would an exchange with someone who came here with a hurtful, poisonous agenda - like, say, Jon. I will participate because I enjoy the exchange and because I have respect for DB, not because I am some representative of anything. I don't appreciate your tone.

2) Whining? I have a real life and I do not belong to Ex-C according to your (or anyone else's) imagined expectations. If and when I get back around to the debate AFTER I have finished dealing with some serious issues at home, I will do so as I see fit. My reasons for not responding have nothing to do with you, the debate, this site or anything else that could be construed as your business.

3) Deal with it? You're acting like the typical Christian asshole right now, in case you hadn't noticed - you're just expecting me to toe your perceived line and "stay in the game", and no explanation from me could possibly suffice to offset your belief that I should be doing XYZ just the way you expect me to.

I have serious problems facing me in the real world right now, and I am surrounded by only the most sincere of praying, Lord-trusting Bible-thumpers. That shows you the extent to which they are going to be of any help.

I have zero personal resources to be able to deal with some very pressing concerns, and coming here only to find that you're taking that tone with me just makes the pressure feel even worse.

In short, with all due respect, go fuck yourself. You want to treat my involvement here like I belong for your entertainment and merely at your pleasure? This is the response you get until you show me a good reason why the hell I should bother with you.

So this is the after show discussion?

LB, bottom line, and personal shit aside, you thought you had a tactic that has not been successful when applied to an in house practice sparing match. And now you're cowering down a bit for some reason. It's not very different than the time my buddy, who thought a head lock was the answer to every confrontation, tried head locking me. I let him have the lock. Then I reached for his throat with one hand. He had to defend his throat with the free hand that wasn't locking my neck. That tied up both of his hands leaving me with a clear shot at grabbing him by the throat with my free hand and choking him out before he could choke me. His strategy had to be reconsidered thereafter. And BTW, he was never able to beat me in a physical confrontation via his head lock approach. 

Why don't you try and change things up a bit and focus on the next way of arguing after an 'appeal to credentials' isn't sufficient to shut down an apologetic christian. I have thoughts on the debate myself, but I'm just observing. And to be honest I expected that you'd come out swinging harder and more effective than you have so far. Why not get back in the ring and show us what you've really got. We're rooting for you, remember that. 

• Super Moderator

This isn't blood sport. It's an exercise in argument and the positions taken don't even matter. It's for fun and practice against real adversaries arguing about something real. Sheesh.

• Like 2

This isn't blood sport. It's an exercise in argument and the positions taken don't even matter. It's for fun and practice against real adversaries arguing about something real. Sheesh.

Now Florduh, come on now. 

This is absolutely real, and serious! Everything in the universe is at stake. If LB doesn't win, then the god of the bible is immediately proven true and real. And the christians will trample over this website chanting praise to YHWH. 

• Like 1

Noooooooo!

You gotta win!

Im not going back!!!!!

meh... Im good. 

LB, let's get serious for a minute. Instead of focusing on cutting their throat on the issue of credentialism why don't you focus in on the bloody obvious fact that there's NOT one particular "god" of the bible to begin with? Who exactly is the "THE" god of bible? Christians are in fact worshiping a variety of "gods" as if they all refer to one god. 

That seems like a good direction moving past the limitations of credentialism which by itself can't shut down the argument. There's a ton of relevant evidence to refer to. And so far I've only seen christians deny this, not embrace it and try turning it around to their favor. 

Lol that's funny Josh. Look he said he has real life stuff going on. I understand real life stuff especially when the odds can be stacked against us in our particular predicament. He may have holy rollers coming at him from all sides. 

That being said. @L.B. we don't see your day to day life. We can be here as a support when you can get online. But I think your reply to sdelsoray was extreme. Yah gotta keep a cool head. Hell just take care of your business if you need to and we will end this debate. Real life is more important than what's going on in here. 

DB

• Like 2

Hey what the hell. No pointers from the peanut gallery. That's cheating. But yeah I probably could come up with something. Just have to see what angle he went with.

Is this practice a tag team match, then? 

If so where's my partner?

Hey what the hell. No pointers from the peanut gallery. That's cheating. But yeah I probably could come up with something. Just have to see what angle he went with.

Sorry DB, since this debate is so not serious and just practice for fun, I figured we ought to head him in a better direction and give you the sort of challenge you want to take on in terms of conceiving apologetics against strong ex-C assertions. Not to mention I added it here outside of the debate forum in question. 

• Like 1

If so where's my partner?

Shall I be both, or would you prefer some one else? lol

Eh? I already commented on both of your positions giving you both pointers.

I must admit I was very surprised at LB's opening. From a pure debate point of view, arguing that the opponent does not have the authority or ability to argue is IMHO a poor argument.  You need to dismantle the opponents argument, not the opponent.

In saying that, I believe L.B when he says he has major shit going on, so as far as "you must debate you agreed" we can afford to ease up. Far better we support our friends in hard times and getting miffed that we didn't get our debate finished.

Perhaps if L.B agrees someone else can take over his position of God does not exist if he doesn't intend to finish the debate once RL gives him a break?

• Super Moderator

This is certainly going well.......

Guys, I agree with florduh in that we're not here to give LB a hard time or discourage him. This must be constructive criticism, if anything. I'm serious about rooting for him. 

My wife is in the ER. I'm bailing out here. Don't know when I will be back, but I have no mental energy for the debate now.

• Like 2

My wife is in the ER. I'm bailing out here. Don't know when I will be back, but I have no mental energy for the debate now.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she gets better with whatever is going on.

My best wishes, L.B., to you and your wife. I've been there, and I know a little of what you are going through is like. You can only take one step after the other. Peace

Take care of things at home Bro. I am sorry to hear about your wife. I hope everything is better soon.

I am going to start working on a complete reversal of my position in this debate. It's stalled long enough. Since we didn't get to finish I don't consider it a win. But I do believe I won the first round at least. Maybe next time it will work out better. Win, lose, or draw it was an educational experience ?

DB

• Super Moderator

LB, I wish you the best medical science has to offer.

L.B my thoughts are with you are yours. Hoping for the best, and as TRP says the best doctors can provide.