Goodbye Jesus

"Indoctrination State" - AronRa Lecture

Citsonga

I understand and agree, for the most port, with where the speaker is coming form and empathize with his concern but why does he have to look so creepy?

I think our point of view that no religion should have such control over education and politics would have greater acceptance if some of the speakers would make a consorted effort to look more presentable to the masses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MOHO said:

I understand and agree, for the most port, with where the speaker is coming form and empathize with his concern but why does he have to look so creepy?

I think our point of view that no religion should have such control over education and politics would have greater acceptance if some of the speakers would make a consorted effort to look more presentable to the masses.

Agreed! That's always been my beef with Aron Ra (odd name too). When he declares his atheism to Christians, I'm sure they're like, "Of course!!!"

• Like 1

Haha. I'm guessing he's a rocker. Anyway, yeah, I can see how that can be a turnoff to many believers, but dismissing valid arguments just because one doesn't like someone's hair is extremely shallow.

16 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Haha. I'm guessing he's a rocker. Anyway, yeah, I can see how that can be a turnoff to many believers, but dismissing valid arguments just because one doesn't like someone's hair is extremely shallow.

Certain appearances give clues to a person's character, Citsonga and, in this case, it's more than just the hair. Regardless of whether my conclusions are accurate or not - the general population (there I go with my broad sweeping statements again :P) will lend more credibility to those who look and act more like them. It's just human nature. 

It seems to be an uphill battle to motivate a cross-section of the populous to give up their superstitions and, taking an interest in one's appearance, when speaking, will help a great deal.

I like Aron Ra's look. The long hair suits him, I think.

But, let's say he cut his hair to more "acceptable' levels. He still wouldn't exactly be a conventionally handsome fellow. (And I say this with utmost respect for the guy.)  Now he would just be a guy with a regular-looking haircut, who presents views unacceptable to most mainstream Christian Americans. What exactly would that accomplish?  What's next? Lose weight, have plastic surgery, etc. just to "fit in" with a crowd that will always hate your worldview, because, ya know, "yer a lousy goddamm filthy commie hippy atheist"?  No, keep the unconventional look, I says....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

Certain appearances give clues to a person's character, Citsonga and, in this case, it's more than just the hair. Regardless of whether my conclusions are accurate or not - the general population (there I go with my broad sweeping statements again :P) will lend more credibility to those who look and act more like them. It's just human nature. 

It seems to be an uphill battle to motivate a cross-section of the populous to give up their superstitions and, taking an interest in one's appearance, when speaking, will help a great deal.

Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but that's stereotyping. To put it more bluntly, assuming that you can discern his character based solely on how he looks is what's known as prejudice.

I do agree that there are plenty of people who would disregard him based solely on his appearance, but that doesn't change the fact that it is prejudice. People who have half a brain and actually care about truth will understand that what really matters is the arguments he presents, not whether or not he cuts his hair a certain way or gets plastic surgery or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but that's stereotyping. To put it more bluntly, assuming that you can discern his character based solely on how he looks is what's known as prejudice.

I do agree that there are plenty of people who would disregard him based solely on his appearance, but that doesn't change the fact that it is prejudice. People who have half a brain and actually care about truth will understand that what really matters is the arguments he presents, not whether or not he cuts his hair a certain way or gets plastic surgery or whatever.

WOW!

I struck a nerve with some folks here.

Yes, my opinion is prejudiced.

yes, I am stereotyping.

yes, it is prudent to not judge the proverbial book by it's cover.

But, Citisonga, that's how people ARE. The delusion that just because we are taught not to be prejudice does not mean that it does not happen. I've found it best, in the long run to accept people's first impression tendencies and work with them.  yes. you have a right to show up for an interview dressed inappropriately but the interviewer does not have to hire you. That's life.

No, I do NOT, personally, dismiss AronRa's value due to his appearance.

I am simply stating that the masses WILL judge him and, if he is serious about running for office, he should take note.

As for bursting my bubble, Citsonga, NOTHING has been burst here but I can see how my comments could affect some people to the point of wanting to lash out at me. Bad news...so shoot the messenger!

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

WOW!

I struck a nerve with some folks here.

Not really. I was just pointing out a fact.

Yes, my opinion is prejudiced.

yes, I am stereotyping.

yes, it is prudent to not judge the proverbial book by it's cover.

But, Citisonga, that's how people ARE.

That is pretty much what I pointed out in my previous post.

The delusion that just because we are taught not to be prejudice does not mean that it does not happen.

I did not say that it doesn't happen. Quite the opposite. Re-read the very post you were replying to and you'll see that I acknowledged that a lot of people do that.

I've found it best, in the long run to accept people's first impression tendencies and work with them.

That depends on what you're attempting to accomplish. How do you know that AronRa isn't trying to break stereotypes by showing that someone who doesn't look like a doctor or lawyer can still be intelligent and present strong arguments to support his points?

yes. you have a right to show up for an interview dressed inappropriately but the interviewer does not have to hire you. That's life.

Apples and oranges, my friend. I said absolutely nothing about job interviews. We're simply talking about AronRa's videos here.

No, I do NOT, personally, dismiss AronRa's value due to his appearance.

That's good to know. It's not the impression that your previous post gave, though. You seemed to be presenting the "clues" from appearance as a matter-of-fact.

I am simply stating that the masses WILL judge him and, if he is serious about running for office, he should take note.

Again, I already said in my previous post that a lot of people do stereotype. As far as if he'd run for public office, sure, it's not likely that someone who looks like him would get elected, based on people's prejudices. It's even less likely that he'd get elected simply because he's an outspoken atheist. However, here we're just talking about his appearance with regard to the points he makes in his videos.

As for bursting my bubble, Citsonga, NOTHING has been burst here but I can see how my comments could affect some people to the point of wanting to lash out at me. Bad news...so shoot the messenger!

I wasn't lashing out or shooting a messenger. I was simply stating the fact that judging people based on one's perception of their appearance is prejudice. It's quite a shame that people will completely disregard someone's argument just because the individual doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what someone should look like.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

Not really. I was just pointing out a fact.

That is pretty much what I pointed out in my previous post.

I did not say that it doesn't happen. Quite the opposite. Re-read the very post you were replying to and you'll see that I acknowledged that a lot of people do that.

That depends on what you're attempting to accomplish. How do you know that AronRa isn't trying to break stereotypes by showing that someone who doesn't look like a doctor or lawyer can still be intelligent and present strong arguments to support his points?

Apples and oranges, my friend. I said absolutely nothing about job interviews. We're simply talking about AronRa's videos here.

That's good to know. It's not the impression that your previous post gave, though. You seemed to be presenting the "clues" from appearance as a matter-of-fact.

Again, I already said in my previous post that a lot of people do stereotype. As far as if he'd run for public office, sure, it's not likely that someone who looks like him would get elected, based on people's prejudices. It's even less likely that he'd get elected simply because he's an outspoken atheist. However, here we're just talking about his appearance with regard to the points he makes in his videos.

I wasn't lashing out or shooting a messenger. I was simply stating the fact that judging people based on one's perception of their appearance is prejudice. It's quite a shame that people will completely disregard someone's argument just because the individual doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what someone should look like.

Yes, my friend. it IS a shame that some people will completely disregard someones opinion and value based solely on appearance.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your meaning in any of this dialog. It's difficult, sometimes, to get the gist of someone's true meaning w/out voice inflections, facial expressions etc.

Let's hope that candidates losing elections due to their lack of religion becomes a thing of the past.

• Like 1

BTW, CitSonga,

thank you for taking the time to clear the air!

• Like 1

Thank you, too, man.

• Like 1