Goodbye Jesus

Can't Keep This Post Alive.

Shinobi

[][][][][]{}{}{}{}{{}

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Yep, Kenneth Humphreys - he has a site http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/ 

Well worth trawling through all his material.

"But isn't history, it isn't truth, its just more astounding rubbish from the New Testament"

This is the guy who even more than Richard Carrier has made me doubt that Jesus of the bible even existed. I  still think there is a or some persons the stories are loosely based on, but not a Jesus of Nazareth.

• Like 1

You know how we were talking about context for labels? 

There's many that fit the Jesus scenario. I'm agnostic on the Jesus issue because we just don't know. I'm also atheist on the Jesus issue because of the lack of knowledge, which leads to my lack of belief. Another important aspect is that I've become apatheist on the Jesus issue, in edition, because I don't care whether some obscure figure unnoticed by contemporary history ever did exist in ancient times. And of course it doesn't matter one bit if such an obscure figure did ever exist as one specific person, even if he did it still doesn't change anything. The story is still mythology regardless. With a little thought I could also say that I'm pantheistic on the Jesus issue too, because the story seems like a baby steps attempt at setting up something where people can identify with the whole, through a drawn out process of Jesus being the god and his church being the body of Jesus, the body of the god...

• Like 2

I would recommend Dr. Robert M Price for those that are interested in this topic. The Christ Myth & It's Problems & The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man are two of his books that deal with this issue. Price is an historian & he approaches this topic from a historical POV. 

• Like 1

If you want to study actual well-informed, intelligent and high-end scholars on the subject, read Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier and Robert Price (there are others).  Ehrman concludes Jesus actually existed but considers the stories about him mostly myth and certainly doesn't buy into the supernatural aspects at all. Carrier and Price are definitely mythicists, i.e., they conclude Jesus is entirely a mythical character based on a amalgamation of earlier mythological and real personas.

• Like 3