Goodbye Jesus

Jon, I believe (without evidence) that you have toothache.

bornagainathiest

Jon,

I believe that you have toothache.

Is my belief true because I believe it?

Please answer my question.

Thank you,

BAA.

• Like 2

Jon, I believe that an invisible pink unicorn floating around Saturn has a toothache. Prove me wrong!

• Like 1

Jon, I believe that if you don't get your act together and get your sorry butt back to the debate forum, pronto, you'll be teleported into an alternate universe where a Saturn-orbiting invisible pink unicorn with a toothache will use its horn to stuff habanero peppers up your butt.  Prove me wrong!

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Jon, I believe you are incapable of adequately addressing the challenges put before you in this thread.  Prove me wrong.

Jon, I believe that after the Saturn-orbiting invisible pink unicorn with a toothache uses its horn to stuff habanero peppers up your butt, that the smoke of your torment shall rise from your asshole for all eternity. 

• Like 4

Umm so we are hijacking BAA's thread now? The confidence level for Jon is waaayyyy high!

Jon, I believe that after the Saturn-orbiting invisible pink unicorn with a toothache uses its horn to stuff habanero peppers up your butt, that the smoke of your torment shall rise from your asshole for all eternity, but if you accept the pink unicorn died for your sins you can be saved from this fate.

• Like 3

It's not a high jack. We're building the myth. Exactly the way the bible was built over the years.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fweethawt said:

It's not a high jack. We're building the myth. Exactly the way the bible was built over the years.

Ahhh 2,000 years hence they will tell the story of the invisible pink unicorn that saves mankind.

Despite extensive scientific expeditions to Saturn turning up nothing the true believers will proclaim that the unicorn is from another dimension and that the world will soon end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Umm so we are hijacking BAA's thread now?

"Hijack" is such an ugly word.  I prefer to think of it as "enhancing." :P

27 minutes ago, Astreja said:

"Hijack" is such an ugly word.  I prefer to think of it as "enhancing." :P

True, it was a poor choice of word.

We are expanding on BAA's initial question... kind of how the Christian God expands every time you show that a previous version is unlikely :D 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2017 at 8:16 AM, bornagainathiest said:

Jon,

Thank you,

BAA.

(Bumped for Jon's attention.)

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

Thank you,

BAA.

Don't be so silly.You need evidence, if you ask me if I have toothache I will tell you: NO.

You could ask the people around me "does Jon have/show signs of having toothache?" again the answer is No, becauce its not true.

Look Jesus bore testimony of himself, the apostles bore testimony, prophets predicted jesus coming, people through the ages bore testimony, secular historians in jesus time write of him.

My answer to you is: come on, get real, thanks for your question, I hope your not mocking me with your "one liners", but questions about me will never solve the "jesus" mystery.Thank you for your question.

Jesus bore testimony of himself, the apostles bore testimony,

That's just what's claimed in the Bible, which is loaded with problems and completely unreliable.

prophets predicted jesus coming,

That's not true. The claimed prophetic fulfillments were New Testament writers repeatedly taking Old Testament verses completely out of context.

people through the ages bore testimony,

They were just reiterating what they were brainwashed with.

secular historians in jesus time write of him.

That's not true. There's not one single reference to Jesus from the time that he was supposed to have lived.

You need evidence,

Indeed you do need evidence, but you don't have any for your man-made religion.

• Like 1

Don't be so silly.You need evidence, if you ask me if I have toothache I will tell you: NO.

The irony is strong with this one. 

So you agree with us that something isn't true just because you believe it?

You could ask the people around me "does Jon have/show signs of having toothache?" again the answer is No, becauce its not true.

Look Jesus bore testimony of himself, the apostles bore testimony, prophets predicted jesus coming, people through the ages bore testimony, secular historians in jesus time write of him.

Nazareth as a city isn't mentioned in history until at least 100CE, there are no first hand witness accounts, what we have are copies of copies of copies of copies going back for years. We know that these copies have been altered. We know they have errors in them. We know the earliest one was possibly around 30 years after Jesus was supposed to have died. We know that the writings in Josephus are interpolations, and the only other secular source of heard of is from Pliny the Elder and that source is suspect. And all these sources are years after the supposed events. There are no contemporary accounts, no writings of major events like graves opening, no record of a world wide census, no record of the slaughter of Herod. There is also no prophesy that fits Jesus. They were all shoe horned in by desperate Jewish writers looking for a Messiah.

Asserting that you have reliable testimony is not the same as demonstrating you have reliable testimony.

My answer to you is: come on, get real, thanks for your question, I hope your not mocking me with your "one liners", but questions about me will never solve the "jesus" mystery.Thank you for your question.

Oh the irony is soooo strong, you can feel its POOOWWEERRRR. @Jon do you read what you write?

One liner? Maybe you should go back through your previous incoherent posts and check out all your one liners. Your answer to BAA is about the most coherent answer we've had from you and the irony exuding from it is giving me a headache. You don't even understand even this simple exercise - the question was never about YOU - don't flatter yourself. The  question was about belief and whether reasons for holding a particular belief are valid.

• Like 1

Jon,

If it is silly for me to believe (without evidence) that you have toothache...

...why is it not also silly for you to believe (without evidence) that Jesus rose from the dead?

• Like 4

Just a fairy tale, Jon.  Grow the fuck up.

• Like 1

What is your decade Jon?

are you in your teens, 20's, 30's???

I'm guessing from your posts that you are rather young. 

It might help us know how to better interact with you.

Your posts are just a mess 

• Like 1

I am predicting the mention of 'first hand witness accounts' of the resurrection to be presented as evidence.

@Jeff I am guessing teen. Old enough to formulate a correct answer to BAA's question, not old enough to realize the irony of his answer.

What is interesting is that he jumped straight onto presenting assertions for Jesus when BAA didn't mention religion at all in his question. It was a question of reasons for a belief.

Jon,

Thank you,

BAA.

So you once, believed there was a God?

Now you don't believe? Great.

Our belief's can go up and down, like they reside on a cosmic set of weighing scales.

What you believe today about something might change tomorrow.

C'mon you believed in God yourself. Remember the verse "casting down argument and reasoning, bringing such thoughts,voices to christ".

As believers and ex-believers, the bible is full of warnings.

What convinced you about God?

what now convinces you against God.

The mind is the battle ground.

A spiritual person can recieve the things of God.

You asked me about belief.

Even the demons believe and tremble, You should know that little known vice called faith is the key.

In my present situation i believe a lot of wrong things, but by faith i know God is good.

• Super Moderator

If testimony is solid enough evidence for jesus; then why shouldn't we believe BAA's testimony concerning your toothache?  You obviously have one; because BAA said you did.

So you once, believed there was a God?

Now you don't believe? Great.

Our belief's can go up and down, like they reside on a cosmic set of weighing scales.

What you believe today about something might change tomorrow.

C'mon you believed in God yourself. Remember the verse "casting down argument and reasoning, bringing such thoughts,voices to christ".

As believers and ex-believers, the bible is full of warnings.

The mind is the battle ground.

A spiritual person can recieve the things of God.

You asked me about belief.

Even the demons believe and tremble, You should know that little known vice called faith is the key.

In my present situation i believe a lot of wrong things, but by faith i know God is good.

Jon,

I won't be responding to any of the above - for two reasons.

First, because this thread is specifically about my evidence-free belief that you have toothache.  So, while I did ask you about belief - I asked you specifically about that particular belief and no other.   Please stay focused on the subject of this thread - my beliefs about your teeth.

Second, because I am still waiting on your response to this question.

...why is it not also silly for you to believe (without evidence) that Jesus rose from the dead?

Please be so good as to answer this question.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 2

Actually, I'm in an unusual position here at Ex-C:  I never believed.  I was a "cultural Christian," baptized as an infant but not indoctrinated because my parents were not churchgoers or particularly religious.

Reading the Bible at a fairly early age provided me with exactly one useful concept (Matthew 25:35-40), and I had a WTF-type reaction to the rest of it.

To Jon's credit we are now getting some coherence and discussion. 

I was brought up from the cradle believing in God. I think a big part was not wanting to go to hell. I think I believed because I believed.

what now convinces you against God?

Lack of any reasonable evidence, and if I have no good reason to believe in god then I have no good reason.

Present some reasonable evidence and I'll consider it.

• Like 2

Jon,

I won't be responding to any of the above - for two reasons.

First, because this thread is specifically about my evidence-free belief that you have toothache.  So, while I did ask you about belief - I asked you specifically about that particular belief and no other.   Please stay focused on the subject of this thread - my beliefs about your teeth.

Second, because I am still waiting on your response to this question.

Please be so good as to answer this question.

Thanks,

BAA.

Actually I have no teeth.

So I am telling you, I dont have toothache.

Actually I have no teeth.

So I am telling you, I dont have toothache.

Here's what the RedNeckProfessor wrote about this yesterday, Jon.

If testimony is solid enough evidence for jesus; then why shouldn't we believe BAA's testimony concerning your toothache?  You obviously have one; because BAA said you did.

So why should you be believed over me?