Goodbye Jesus

Books/movies to share with brainwashed believers to plant the seeds of doubt

Lyra

Does anyone know of good books, or other types of stories that could promote philosophical discussion (like movies, shows or story-rich video games) that could plant seeds of doubt to get someone to start questioning their religion?

I don't mean books like "The God Delusion" or "Why Religion is False" that are so obvious they'd make any believer refuse to crack the cover. I mean ones where the message is subtle enough that they'll read it, but will get them on that logical path.

For example, George Orwell's "1984," or any other story about totalitarian mind-control government, like "The Matrix." You could read/watch it together, start off a discussion about governments who brainwash their people, and  then transition into "But what if this applied to religion too?"

I personally wouldn't, either they are in a place where they are happy to discuss the ideas and the debates, or they want nothing to do with it.  Trying to force someone who is closed to accept new ideas is a mission that will end in frustration.  Especially if the effort is smoke and mirrors, they will probably not make the connection between a story on the screen and applying the ideas to their own lives.

You could try using scientific videos, but many Christians don't have a problem with the big bang, old earth, abiogenesis etc so it wouldn't matter.  The ones that do have a belief that conflicts with science will usually have a preloaded "well science is wrong" ready to protect themselves.

Talk to those who are willing to talk and leave those who don't want to talk alone. It is the same courtesy we would want from Christians. 

• Like 4

The invention of lying.

this is a comedy movie and I think I was already deconverted. I remember thinking 'holy shit' as the protagonist made up a religion, how people absolutely could have done this. Then it talks about how people waste their lives believing this bs the guy made up. It had been so taboo to even have a hint of doubt I had never really though of it like that.

The book that influenced me most on leaving Christianity was the Bible. I would highly recommend it.

If someone feels like you got them to read a book or watch a movie because you had some hidden agenda to get them to question their religion, they will probably be annoyed and not take further recommendations from you. It all depends on how you come across of course.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucy said:

The book that influenced me most on leaving Christianity was the Bible. I would highly recommend it.

If someone feels like you got them to read a book or watch a movie because you had some hidden agenda to get them to question their religion, they will probably be annoyed and not take further recommendations from you. It all depends on how you come across of course.

Perfect!

I ran out of up votes for the day.

• Super Moderator

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

Isaac Asimov

• Like 2

I'm with @Wertbag here. It's probably best to leave well-enough alone. But, having said that, I can also understand the desire to do a little feather ruffling from time to time.

For fictional books, I'd recommend The Green Mile. I also love the movie, but the book, in my opinion, is Steven King at his finest. And there is a quotation towards the end of the book that is among my favourites of all time: "If it happens, God lets it happen, and when we say 'I don't understand,' God replies, 'I don't care.'" Might be enough to start a conversation.

For movies, I'd recommend The Village which I consider to be a truly mediocre film with significant metaphorical value.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:11 AM, Lucy said:

If I hadn't read the Bible completely through, I might still be a Christian. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eugene39 said:

If I hadn't read the Bible completely through, I might still be a Christian. 

Hell, I didn't even have to read it through completely. At the beginning of my second year in Christianity, I started one of those one-year Bible plans. I got to March before stopping, and I've recently realized that it was because it was so obviously fictional. Once I got past simply reading the same verses over and over in studies and devotionals, I saw how completely just false it was by actually reading it.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 8:11 PM, Lucy said:

Second65535ing this.

However, I would honestly be a bit hesitant to blindly recommend the Bible to any and all believers, because I'd be concerned about how it might affect them. Perhaps for some people it's genuinely better not to know.