Goodbye Jesus

How Old Are You?

TexasFreethinker

I'm 24, but I look 12. It's a nightmare. I get carded everywhere I go.

I'm 25 but I look 30. Getting carded is a rarity and I somewhat miss it.

Gorillaz changed my life.

Jeez! I am one of the old ones here! I thought there would be a lot more Boomers.

But kudos to all the newer generations. I love how, in spite of everything, you are critical thinkers. Give yourselves gold stars!!!

29. But, I wonder if the stats coincide mostly with internet usage. I think the greater chance you use the internet the more likely you are to deconvert from easily debunking an idea with no merit.

29. But, I wonder if the stats coincide mostly with internet usage. I think the greater chance you use the internet the more likely you are to deconvert from easily debunking an idea with no merit.

35 and I'd agree that just by the average numbers online within these ageg roups, you're likely to have a higher number of deconverts within each. Would be a fun statistics experiment.

True! I work with a guy who's in his 70s, and deconverted around my age when I studied biology. He's a massive technophobe and would never use a computer, yet alone the internet, but would love a site like this. I'm sure there are lots of "silver sceptics" out there!

I'm 24 and about to tumble over into the precipice of real adulthood - 25 :P

It would be very interesting to know whether the ready availability of information on the internet makes it more likely that one will deconvert. It may be the case, but many people on ExC say that the most influential thing for them in terms of deconversion was finally reading the Bible with an unbiased mind. For me, the internet played no role in my deconversion and I had been using the internet for many years before I deconverted. When I came to ExC, I had already fully deconverted, but I was looking for like-minded people so I didn't feel so alone because it felt like I was the only person who had ever deconverted from the religion. It was so good to find other like-minded people who had experienced the same things I had experienced.

Bear in mind also that the internet is full of Christian sites who encourage their fellow Christians, offer apologetics, and many online Christian resources. While they have ready access to information which could help them deconvert, it doesn't happen to millions of Christian internet users.

• 1 month later...

25 with less than half the maturity of my teenage siblings.

When I came to ExC, I had already fully deconverted, but I was looking for like-minded people so I didn't feel so alone because it felt like I was the only person who had ever deconverted from the religion. It was so good to find other like-minded people who had experienced the same things I had experienced.

I deconverted without the help of the internet, but I do recall an atheist troll on the AOL religion forum that shocked me with a few criticisms I'd never heard. I was already on my way out at the time though.

I wish the internet had been more robust at the time of my deconversion. Access to info would have certainly sped up the process, which took years given I was left to my own faculties to figure out.

I think like you imply, info alone won't do it though. You need to be in the frame of mind where you are seeking truth as opposed to assuming you already have the truth. Without that, the human mind will help you protect your biases regardless of how ill-conceived they are.

Jeez! I am one of the old ones here! I thought there would be a lot more Boomers.

But kudos to all the newer generations. I love how, in spite of everything, you are critical thinkers. Give yourselves gold stars!!!

Boomer here, also. And also surprised, though hopeful, to see so many young critical thinkers.

This board seems most useful to people who are in the process of deconversion or in need of a peer group in the years after deconversion, which would explain why the boomers who deconverted years ago might not be here in huge numbers. And those who are deconverting late might already have good contacts outside the church and enough real-world experience to see that they're not alone in their disbelief.

I'm 25 now, and de-converted in the spring of 2007, so back when I was 20. smile.png

27. I converted at 14 and basically have been de-converting ever since.

• 3 weeks later...

I was originally accreted as planetary dust in the Gliese 581d system, but after the Glieseans experienced a catastrophic stripping of my atmosphere and the subsequent macro-particulate generator explosion deep within the planet, the heavier compounds that would eventually form my body were hurled violently across many light-years of space, only to get trapped in the weak gravitational pull of a large nickel-iron core, liquid water covered planet called Earth. I was formed into a human body in 1974 and have forced to live as chemicals given rise to consciousness rather than just chemicals for the last few years. Eventually, I hope to become simple, inanimate matter once more, and with any luck, a planet-wide explosion will send me back out into the void to journey as the cosmic wind blows me yet again.

LOL @ Jose

I'm 31 now. I cut all ties to Christianity by the time I was 24 or so, and I started doubting the major tenets of the faith when I was about 20. Of course, I always had some doubts and was more liberal than my friends, but I ignored the cognitive dissonance until I studied the world religions and basic philosophy academically.

I'm currently enjoying being 25. I joined the madness of Christianity at 19 and managed to escape when I was 23. Part of me would quite like those 4 years back. Another part of me knows it made me who I am.

56 years old now. Only deconverted about 9 months ago. I often sit and wonder how things could have been different . . . . .

• Like 2

35. Somedays younger. Somedays older.

Well, duh? I'm the geezer. So at whatever age a guy looks like a geezer.....that's my age. Whenever someone refers to the old geezer down the street, they're referring to me. I was in high school when JFK was assassinated. If you don’t know who JFK was then you’re a whippersnapper. And if you’re a whippersnapper then you should be listening to itunes and texting other whippersnappers instead of posting stuff here.

• 4 weeks later...

And if you’re a whippersnapper then you should be listening to itunes and texting other whippersnappers instead of posting stuff here.

Ahahaha! Don't worry Geezer, I do that while posting here. I'm 23, and my deconversion happened in college, although I didn't accept it at the time.

North of 40. Not like, the Arctic Circle 'north'. More like Maine. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Hi I'm new here. I just recently deconverted (over the process of several months). I'm 32.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I'm going to be 23 in the next couple of weeks. I'm a young texting, Ipoding, whippersnapper who knows who JFK is!

Guest Babylonian Dream

I'm 24, but I look 12. It's a nightmare. I get carded everywhere I go.

Welcome to the club! Come to New York, let's go to buffet's and get charged kiddie prices! XD

Hi I'm new here. I just recently deconverted (over the process of several months). I'm 32.

First post! Welcome, from a fellow Texan who also deconverted in his 30s. :)

My dad and sister are in Dallas and I visit them regularly! Next time I'm there we should hang out!

First post! Welcome, from a fellow Texan who also deconverted in his 30s. smile.png