Sign in to follow this  
whitehorse

Bible philosophy

Do you think that it's ok to hold some biblical beliefs? I'm never going to be a Christian (Ever again) but there's a few verses that resonate with my current world veiw. But maybe it's because I have not found suitable replacement concepts.

Do you think that it's ok to hold some biblical beliefs? I'm never going to be a Christian (Ever again) but there's a few verses that resonate with my current world veiw. But maybe it's because I have not found suitable replacement concepts.

There's wisdom in the Bible, sure, along with the nasty stuff.  I'm sure there's wisdom in the Koran and other religious books.  But there's a great deal of wisdom written by others too: Shakespeare, Marcus Aurelius, Benjamin Franklin, Emerson, Thoreau, the many great novelists and essayists.  I'd suggest making up for lost time by exploring beyond the realm of scripture.  It's been an eye-opener for me to read some of the great atheists, many of whom were centuries ahead of their time.  There's great stuff in 'The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever', edited by the great Christopher Hitchens.  Or look for the writings of Robert Green Ingersoll on the Secular Web.  

If if I were raising kids, I'd want them to be familiar with the Bible, warts and all, along with other scriptures.  But for those of us who were immersed in it for much of our lives, its important to counter that indoctrination and reprogram our minds by setting the Bible aside and exposing ourselves to the alternatives.  

• Like 3

There's wisdom in the Bible, sure, along with the nasty stuff.  I'm sure there's wisdom in the Koran and other religious books.  But there's a great deal of wisdom written by others too: Shakespeare, Marcus Aurelius, Benjamin Franklin, Emerson, Thoreau, the many great novelists and essayists.  I'd suggest making up for lost time by exploring beyond the realm of scripture.

No I don't read the bible anymore, it's all in my memory.