Goodbye Jesus

Quoting - Question for Mods

LogicalFallacy

Hi ya'll beings of great and terrible poooowwwaaa

I've noticed for some time when we quote the quote not longer contains the quoted persons name which makes it really hard tracking multi quotes, or those from several pages back.

Also when you 'quote' a person who has quoted someone else, its only picking up the member whose post you are quoting. In the old forum it would quote both the quote the member quoted and the member you are quoting.

In the example below I have pretended to quote BAA who has quoted Bibler. What is currently happening is that it would only pick up BAA's post and not even put his name there like this:

----Post-------------------------

quote "Prove it" /quote

(Me) @BAA He can't prove it he has no evidence

-----End Post---------------------------

So in the above example we can't see what BAA was referring to and have to trawl back, and members can't tell BAA said that unless we tell them so (Hence  @BAA). At this point I have sad face.

So I think an ideal format is:

-----Post---------------------------------------------------------

quote=Bibler "God exists" /quote

...quote=BAA "Prove it" /quote

(Me) @BAA He can't prove it he has no evidence

-----End Post------------------------------------

I hope that makes sense.... not sure if my web syntax is correct for demonstration purposes

Edit: Per what @sdelsolray said the quotes should be nested which is what I am trying to show above.

Goodbye Jesus

I second LF's motion.  The new quoting system sucks.  It doesn't reference the poster who is being quoted, it doesn't have a built-in link to take me back to the quoted post and it won't allow for nested quoting (unless done manually and even then it's difficult).

• Like 2

it doesn't have a built-in link to take me back to the quoted post

It actually does. There's a little arrow in the upper right corner of the quote box. Click that and it'll take you to the post being quoted.

Anyway, I also agree that quote boxes should include the user name of the person being quoted. That would make conversations easier to follow.

As far as quotes within quotes, that would also be nice as long as there are limits. The old board did get a bit ridiculous when people would keep 15 or so rounds of quotes within quotes. Instead of going overboard like that, perhaps it could allow for keeping quotes within quotes but limit it to 3 or 4 rounds; that would be helpful. 

• Like 2

You're correct Citsonga, I just clicked on the left icon which opens or closes the box and didn't notice the arrow icon on the right.  Stupid me.

• 4 months later...

Being new here, I would welcome a link to an explanation of posting syntax.  For example I cannot find anything on how to break up a quoted post into sentences and reply after each one.