Goodbye Jesus

The Interwebs and Generationa Sin

Guest end3

Guest end3

Given the pros and cons of the internet, would we think that the sharing of information, the normalization of humanity, might really make us able to see the "sins" of the generations before us?  Thoughts please? 

• Super Moderator

It seems clear that humans are incapable of learning from their history.

Given the pros and cons of the internet, would we think that the sharing of information, the normalization of humanity, would enable us to see the evidence that religion isn't real?

• Like 2

Given the pros and cons of the internet, would we think that the sharing of information, the normalization of humanity, might really make us able to see that sins aren't real?

• Like 2

Given the pros and cons of the internet, would we think that the sharing of information, the normalization of humanity, might really make us able to see the "sins" of the generations before us?  Thoughts please? 

Regarding your first point, the internet and related technology has the capability of yielding tremendous access to information.  The rub, of course, if whether the information is accurate.  Assuming it is (here, the subject is human history), it should be much easier to see the behaviors, morals and ethics of prior human generations as well as the events which occurred during those times.  Of course, there would be examples of harmful and destructive human behavior, helpful and loving human behavior, horrible and catastrophic events and beautiful and progressive events.

Your second point is about us currently sharing that information.  Again, the internet makes that easier and more likely to occur compared to, say, letter writing, book publishing or telephone technologies.  Yes, that is occurring now.

I'm glad you put the word "sin" in quotes.  That's a rather damaged word, loaded with baggage.  I suggest you avoid using it.  Notice how I did not use it above yet I still was able to convey a comprehensible message concerning human action.

Guest end3

Regarding your first point, the internet and related technology has the capability of yielding tremendous access to information.  The rub, of course, if whether the information is accurate.  Assuming it is (here, the subject is human history), it should be much easier to see the behaviors, morals and ethics of prior human generations as well as the events which occurred during those times.  Of course, there would be examples of harmful and destructive human behavior, helpful and loving human behavior, horrible and catastrophic events and beautiful and progressive events.

Your second point is about us currently sharing that information.  Again, the internet makes that easier and more likely to occur compared to, say, letter writing, book publishing or telephone technologies.  Yes, that is occurring now.

I'm glad you put the word "sin" in quotes.  That's a rather damaged word, loaded with baggage.  I suggest you avoid using it.  Notice how I did not use it above yet I still was able to convey a comprehensible message concerning human action.

Thanks,  I guess my point was that through the positive aspects you mention, we are more readably able to see the shortcomings of our immediate relationships (parents), by observing a larger population of individuals....i.e. the "normal".  But not sure the less attractive aspects of the internet though, don't outweigh the positive.   

I think we are fully aware of the 'sins' of prior generations, but we keep making the same mistakes anyway. History may be an 'early warning system', as one of my school teachers claimed but nobody heeds the warning and steers in a different direction.

• Super Moderator

I think we are fully aware of the 'sins' of prior generations, but we keep making the same mistakes anyway. History may be an 'early warning system', as one of my school teachers claimed but nobody heeds the warning and steers in a different direction.

Those who do learn from history will still be doomed to repeat in on account of those who don't.