Goodbye Jesus

Spirituality - one perspective

Orbit

An Ex-C member recently asked me if I would talk about my journey and spirituality, so this post is by way of an answer. If you are still questioning, and haven't completely severed from Christianity, this post may be triggering for you, so exercise your judgment. I myself have been comfortably severed from Christianity for about 5 years, and don't subscribe to any religious dogma, organized or disorganized. Some think of exploring spirituality as a stop on the path to atheism; for me however, atheism was a necessary step to jettisoning religion, leaving me free to explore spirituality.

What do I mean by "spirituality"? I mean human psychology, emotion, philosophy, and systems of meaning. I see spirituality akin to self-therapy. For example, studying Hindu and Zen Buddhist philosophy provides insight into the human condition. Meditation provides self-insight, and less stress/more clarity of mind. Those are all very practical things, and they make me feel good. There's nothing wrong with endorphins! My basic practice is regular meditation.

There are quite atheistic strands in orthodox Hinduism, and of course in Zen Buddhism, but even theistic religions can have value if you control how you use them. For example, meditating using the Buddhist goddess Quan Jin, or the Hindu Avelokiteshtevara, or even gasp! Jesus (don't go there if you're not fully ready) as bodhisattvas of compassion is treating them as symbols of human qualities, not deities, giving a symbolic face to relate to as you begin the meditation. As you continue the meditation, the faces that served to focus you on the human quality meld into your own, and you absorb the idea and the associated emotions. It's a meditation technique. All gods/bodhisattvas etc are symbolic archetypes that spring from the human mind, they are psychological vehicles and you can use them therapuetically. They are symbols, tools. Again, this is my take on it; your mileage may vary. You'll have to find what you're comfortable with and works for you. This lets me use symbols that resonate with me from around the world. Besides, I like candles and incense. Do I value internal consistency in this? No, because emotions and human psychology are not consistent,. The subconscious doesn't care about logic.

So in my journey I moved away from the black and white thinking that was useful early in my deconversion (religion=bad/atheism=good) towards an entirely different interpretation of religious symbols and rituals. Am I an atheist? Yup. But I find religious mysticism can provide the symbols and tools that are psychologically powerful and emotionally satisfying.  Would I ever join a religion? No.  Would these religions approve of the way I use their symbols? No. I could say more I suppose, but this is probably more than enough to generate discussion. I'm happy to talk about  meditation  if anyone's interested.

I list my religion as "Dinner". That's pretty accurate.

• Like 5

Back when the Magical Egypt series came out I was very intrigued and caught up in it. They touched on ancient technology, the mysteries of possible advanced civilization lost to time, and several mystical aspects that they thought were present in ancient Egypt. In episode 7, Illumination, they touched on Talismanic technology and what Talismans are. So for the hell of it I created my first Talisman out of a river stone. I chose to draw the tetragrammaton in Kabalistic style from top to bottom: 

yosher%20transparent%20small-crop-u13555
It forms the human image. And around that I drew pictures of stars and galaxies fading off into the distance. It captures the time when I began to realize that god represents the universe and ultimately existence itself, as infinite and eternal, omnipresent, and ultimate mystery. Existence itself and man, are one and the same. Everyone are sons of daughters of the realm of existence itself, the absolute. And I drew other images from mythology that also correspond to that. 

Later, I created a second Talisman one summer from another river stone, this stone was a ballast stone taken from an old Spanish Galleon off the central Florida coast. The treasure divers had a bunch of them and asked if I wanted to take one. I imagined the history of that stone. Having come across the ocean from Europe, and of course it's geological history in Europe before arriving here in the new world and sinking just off the coast. It's engraved with similar imagery what includes YHWH and YHWSH. And deals in terms of the realization that the Jesus myth is simply another way of the human mind grasping at it's place at the right hand of god, the right hand of existence itself. The two being one. 

Now of course that flies in the face of any way the orthodox religions would be willing to take it. But that's what my Talismanic stones detail. And I've kept them on my book shelf since they're creations. I will often pack one in my suitcase when traveling. I think that Talismans work in unison with our mind, more importantly our subconscious mind - and that essentially magic and mysticism breaks down to tools which can be used to provoke certain things with the power and influence of the human mind. Ravenstar and I were having discussions about this around the time that I ceased using ex-C during my divorce. She gave me some useful advice in this area. And ultimately I went through some pretty dangerous terrain more or less untouched by it and coming out smelling like a rose, at least for a while before entering some more dangerous terrain. But again, more or less smelling like a rose in the face of danger. 

I'm very mystical and mind oriented. And very atheistic all at the very same time. 

I'm putting a certain vibe out there. And it's more or less very protective in scope. I know that it's coming from my own mind because I'm always putting out those signals. And I also know, by way of personal experience, how consistent it can be. And I've utilized mythological motifs, even to the extent of our own judeo-christian motifs, in the process of formulating my own mystical / spiritual outlook which lacks in the positive belief in gods. 

• Like 3

Got any pics of your talismans?

@Orbit

This falls in line with how I want to eventually evolve into a more spiritual minded life. Using the small truths and valuable lessons from other religions that aren't necessarily religious based but just hold great moral and humanistic value. I probably wouldn't include a Jesus picture because right now I hate Jesus, so very negative energies there. But maybe an inscription of the Golden rule or something. I've always saw great wisdom in that.

I have an idea for a zen garden for meditation including many symbols from different faiths as focal points. And incense is a must. Incense is very calming for me. Especially the woodsy incenses. 

I really have no clue how to meditate tho. It almost seems impossible to accomplish with a 7 year old, two teenagers, and a wife around most the time. Maybe you can give me some tips on short meditation for those small amounts of time I may have to devote to it. 

DB

@Joshpantera

I like your use of talismans and other religious symbology. I've thought about making some runes lately. I've always felt a connection to runes for some reason. Ever since the short period of time I was wicca in my teenage years.

DB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman

A talisman is an object believed to contain certain magical properties thought to draw good luck to the possessor, or offer the possessor protection from possible evil or harm.[1]

Ravenstar was very good with this sort of thing, having been involved in magical practice with Wicca and so on. I've only grazed the esoteric from a mainly academic view like comparative world mythology. A good source for comparative esoteric studies is Manly P Hall, honorary 33rd Mason of the Scottish Rite. But I have my own personal views on magic and mysticism as I mentioned earlier. Believe is a strong word, but I'm all but convinced that chants, incantations, curses, and anything considered magic can only work in so far as a tool that can provoke the mind into action. If for some reason any of this is seen to work, it's a testament to the unknown depths of the mind in relation to the world and other people for so than spooky, supernatural spirits carrying out some one's wishes. And you can contrast my opinion here with other topics such as Awareness Broken Down, because the two correspond to one another. 

I'm pretty convinced that all spiritual, mystical, esoteric and even magical practice would gain in clarity by moving past the supernaturalist world view. And that may sound strange. Because those things are completely wrapped up in supernaturalism. But when you dive heavily into issues of consciousness and mind it's not so strange. And it's also not to be feared unless of course you live in fear of your own mind and it's potential. The protection of a Talisman could be the protection we can generate with our own minds, in conjunction with the minds of other people, animals, and the environment. It's speculative, but interesting to experiment with and consider. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Chop wood, carry water...

• Like 1

@Orbit

This falls in line with how I want to eventually evolve into a more spiritual minded life. Using the small truths and valuable lessons from other religions that aren't necessarily religious based but just hold great moral and humanistic value. I probably wouldn't include a Jesus picture because right now I hate Jesus, so very negative energies there. But maybe an inscription of the Golden rule or something. I've always saw great wisdom in that.

I have an idea for a zen garden for meditation including many symbols from different faiths as focal points. And incense is a must. Incense is very calming for me. Especially the woodsy incenses. 

I really have no clue how to meditate tho. It almost seems impossible to accomplish with a 7 year old, two teenagers, and a wife around most the time. Maybe you can give me some tips on short meditation for those small amounts of time I may have to devote to it. 

DB

Can you find the time to take a bath? That sounds weird, but you might be able to get 20 minutes of relative peace and silence that way. Or take a walk--not all meditation is "sitting" meditation. You can take a deep breath and become mindful of your breathing, your surroundings, feel connected to all living things.  Be mindful whatever you are doing. It's hard when time alone is at a premium but there are small things you can do. Even 5 minutes at a time to calm the mind is surprisingly refreshing.

Talismans are merely symbols.  As I see it, they have the power that is invested in them by and to the individual mind, whether made or adopted from another source by that individual.

I've not made a talisman as such, nor do I rely on one.  I wear a pendant that has a bindrune design, but its' meaning for me is completely different to that which it is supposed to bear according to some who use these things.  It's supposed to be a protective amulet, apparently.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a stylized, minimalist version of a caduceus and, as such, merely represents my obsession with the Greek pantheon.

I have a glass "eye charm" used throughout the eastern Med; as far as I'm concerned, it's cultural symbol and a bit of decoration.

I have drawn a few pictures that are meant to express ideas relevant to my particular outlook, but these are nothing more than rather amateurish artworks.

Working out what, precisely, a symbol - talismanic or not - means is actually not that easy.

The most accurate and definable use is where there is ongoing, common understanding (alphabet and numerals, for example).

Next comes instances where there is a sort of negotiation between the understanding of the maker/user and the observer, which is only really possible where there is some level of common cultural comprehension.  I suppose the cross is actually an example of that; as is the hammer and sickle, or the crescent and star.  Folklore may be a rich source of such symbols also, I suppose.

Finally, there is the process of giving meaning to something that is of unknown original purpose.  What precisely did the statue of the Minoan so-called "snake goddess" mean?  In reality, we don't know.  But it can still take on the meaning an individual wishes to give it.

Bottom line, however, there is no intrinsic meaning in symbols.  So, as the meaning is "given", so is the influence.  Talismans are whatever you want them to be.

• Like 1

@Orbit

Have you ever felt a strong energy buzz about the third eye chakra level? 

When I go into meditation I'll sometimes develop a sort of buzz right there in the forehead, it's a type of natural high. I've been working in an office and put on youtube Brain Synch brain wave videos and meditated to where it was an intense feeling. I hear someone walk in and then have to come out and go talk to them. But the buzz can be lingering. I've wondered if it's the effect of heavy breathing itself, pumping yourself full of oxygen. 

@Orbit

Have you ever felt a strong energy buzz about the third eye chakra level? 

When I go into meditation I'll sometimes develop a sort of buzz right there in the forehead, it's a type of natural high. I've been working in an office and put on youtube Brain Synch brain wave videos and meditated to where it was an intense feeling. I hear someone walk in and then have to come out and go talk to them. But the buzz can be lingering. I've wondered if it's the effect of heavy breathing itself, pumping yourself full of oxygen. 

You can definitely give yourself a "high" if that's what you're after. I have used binaural beats for that in the past, but I tend to take meditation a bit more on the serious side these days. You can definitely change your brainwaves, though, and hence, your perception. That kind of thing doesn't really lead to useful insights, imo. But, sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered.

You can definitely give yourself a "high" if that's what you're after. I have used binaural beats for that in the past, but I tend to take meditation a bit more on the serious side these days. You can definitely change your brainwaves, though, and hence, your perception. That kind of thing doesn't really lead to useful insights, imo. But, sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered.

It's not about being after anything, it's just what happens from meditative states by extension of engaging in the them. And I've found it interesting to observe. 

It's not about being after anything, it's just what happens from meditative states by extension of engaging in the them. And I've found it interesting to observe. 

I meant no disrespect. Yeah, you can experience all kinds of trippy things when you meditate. For me, there are different kinds of meditation. There's Zen meditation, where you focus on the breath and clear the mind. Then there's meditation where you focus on something, a symbolic representation. Then there's mystic meditation, where you attempt to feel at one with the universe and all things in it, becoming god, as it were. They all have their place. I have a friend that talks about walking meditation, where he becomes mindful of the forest he is walking through. He also finds playing the bansuri flute to be meditative. There's much variety in practices and goals. I find that keeping a meditation journal of my experiences helps me gain insight into my own psychology.  Is it all navel-gazing? Sure it is, but it's cheaper than therapy!

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.