Goodbye Jesus

I wish

Zenh

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

@ag_NO_stic said: "Do you know how huge sun worship once was? "

You mean like the Son of God? :D There are sources that show early Christianity was pulling in a lot of pagan practices into their fledgling religion.

Also the Egyptian's worshiped Aten, which was an aspect of Ra. Later on this would morph into Amun, then Amun-Ra.

@Joshpantera might be better equipped to answer this, but it would be intriguing to know if there is any relation between sun worship, whether Egyptian or other Near East cultures, and the Canaanite  El? 

If sun worship can be traced to El, then essentially Christians are worshiping ancient sun gods :D 

I see I've been summoned. I'm out of state and flying around this week. But the short answer is that I've read about El being associated with the planet Saturn. And worship on Saturn's being the premise for the Jewish Sabbath. The creation account in Genesis 1 being a much later development after the Sabbath had long been tradition already. 

The other issue is that there was a more ancient Saturn worship that apparently was over shadowed by solar worship, or died out to solar worship. In any case, there is solar worship association with YHWH that I've read about as well. 

On 7/18/2017 at 11:54 PM, Zenh said:

I do too. I can't rationalize hell. All our sins only have temporary effects. It is sadistic no matter how much people try to say God's "justice" makes it perfectly fine. It makes me boil with rage. There was a pastor rejoicing when George Carlin died claiming he's burning in hell. I am so mad about that. If anything that pastor is going to hell,  not George! He was relishing in it with a kind of sick pleasure that made me want to vomit. George is my favorite comedian, and I wish I could toss religion aside like he did.

You realize that according to Biblical scholars, hell as you think of it wasn't invented until the Middle Ages, as a way to control people and keep them dependent on the Catholic Church. Early Church figures/saints did not believe in hell that way. The Jews did not believe in hell. In the NT, when Jesus talks about what is translated "hell", he uses the word "Gehenna", which refers to a garbage dump outside Jerusalem where the funeral pyres of the poor burned. Look into the history of the development of hell--you'll find Jesus didn't believe in what you think of as hell.