Goodbye Jesus

Ex-C losing popularity

SerenelyBlue

I don't get why this site has shrunk so dramatically.  This is such a wonderful place for ex Christians to come to....

Many (most?) forum-type sites such as Ex-C are experiencing less traffic these days.  The reason, in large part, is the growth of social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

When Dave created this website, it was probably (close to) one-of-a-kind.   Now there are support sites for ex and deconverting christians all over the web.

• Like 2

It is depressing.

• Admin

Ex-C has been online since 2001. The forum has been in continual operation since 2005. In this fast-paced brave new world, that's an eternity. 

:Old:

Happens every summer. Folks find tons of things and activities to stay away from their e.lives.  Somewhere after August and peak vacation times we'll have a full house going.

kL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SkipNChurch said:

Happens every summer. Folks find tons of things and activities to stay away from their e.lives.  Somewhere after August and peak vacation times we'll have a full house going.

kL

^^^came here to say this^^^

Happens every year without fail. 

Ex-C has indeed changed. But as Jeff said, it still does it's thing.

Getting depressed over Ex-C going through its annual cycle is no different than getting depressed because the wind blows.

• Like 5

I joined back in 2005, but once I unburdened what was on my mind I stopped posting.  I find I get inspired to return when I run into stupidity on Youtube or in the news. But I'm probably like others who browse but are not regular. I have a long history here but certainly not as prolific as many others.

Perhaps rather than post count you need to check unique logins.

• Like 3

I visit this page every weekday, but I don't always post anything. I really enjoy each visit, though!

• Like 3

I've been reading since 2012 and posting sine 2014 (different user name) and have seen the trend mentioned by @SkipNChurch and @Fweethawt.

I don't do any other social media. This is it for me. I'm only on Disqus so I can comment in the Main Blog area here.

That said I'm glad to see the recent, seemingly, decrease in posting is just an annual trend that will go away in a few weeks.

• Like 4

I used to have another account before, so I've been around for a while.  This place used to be packed at one stage...

I wish I'd found it sooner. The same has happened to sports, and politics forums I used to go on. I don't see how social media can really replace the quality of discussions. I suppose it's a time thing as well. When people only spend so much time online they might prefer to chat to the few people they know instead of many anonymous people even if there are helpful and insightful posts on forums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeT said:

I wish I'd found it sooner. The same has happened to sports, and politics forums I used to go on. I don't see how social media can really replace the quality of discussions. I suppose it's a time thing as well. When people only spend so much time online they might prefer to chat to the few people they know instead of many anonymous people even if there are helpful and insightful posts on forums.

This is why I spend so much time here. There are few better platforms for having a good discussion on topics that is available to everybody.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 2:11 PM, Tsathoggua9 said:

I visit this page every weekday, but I don't always post anything. I really enjoy each visit, though!

Same here!

• Like 2

This topic comes up from time to time. There is definitely a seasonal ebb and flow to the traffic here, but the level of activity also increases and decreases aside from this. People tend to come, post intensively for a while, and then leave. That's just a part of what this site does. People come here when they need help, then eventually they don't need it anymore. I see this as a testament to how important this site is more than anything else.

New members do seem to come in waves though, for reasons that I have yet to figure out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been here since 2004, though with a hiatus.

Rock on, everyone

• Like 2

For me, personally, I have started to be more at peace with where I am. I have accepted that I could not control indoctrination but that I can control not staying that way....and you can only say the same Matt-Dillahunty-Bart-Erhman buzz word phrases so many times before you realize that there isn't much you can do to get people to open their eyes until they're ready. I also felt like venting my personal problems on here all the time without doing something about it was a bit of a time waste.

Ex-C has a special place in my heart and it brings me comfort. I still visit but the posting, at least for me, is kinda the same thing reworded over and over. I'm willing to do it, but I'm far less up in arms about it, I've calmed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Some winters are colder than others. Sometimes the stream dries up and sometimes it floods its banks. So it is with online communities, Grasshopper.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Not only am I going to snatch the pebble from your hand, showing you that I am ready, but I am also going to throw it at you.

• Haha 3

...and then I'm going to pick up a 200lb red-hot whatchyacallit that scar my forearms for life....just to show that I"M NOT INDOCTRINATED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All of us just showed our age, y'all know that, right? :HaHa:

• Haha 3

Age is an illusion. We are merely cosmic forms of the eternal universe flowing though vibrating cells on everlasting winds of calm.

(LogicalFallacy channelling his inner Deepak Chopra mumbo jumbo b/s nonsense. :D )

• Haha 2

I have been lurking lately, as well as not checking it every day, because I just haven't felt like I had anything to add to anyone's discussion.  Also, sometimes I feel like the same discussions just go in endless circles (esp. the political ones).  I'm also glad to hear that there is a seasonal element to this because I do still value it greatly as it is also my only social media.  You guys are awesome in your openness and support!

• Like 1

I visited this site a lot before I became employed at two different places. I just don't have the time. But I do enjoy it when I have a few minutes to check in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1