Goodbye Jesus

The Gifts of the Spirit

ironhorse

Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

And I'm sure that "someone" probably came up with the answer by approaching the scripture with his/her beliefs and then trying to validate them.  Which means the answer is wrong.  Unless Ironhorse agrees with it.

Now that I think of it, there is probably a book in his dad's library that will tell IH what he independently thinks and believes. I'll bet it won't be the Bible though. It will be what someone else tells him the Bible is really saying.

• Super Moderator
22 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Now that I think of it, there is probably a book in his dad's library that will tell IH what he independently thinks and believes. I'll bet it won't be the Bible though. It will be what someone else tells him the Bible is really saying.

Because the bible doesn't really mean what it really says.  What it REALLY means is... whatever Ironhorse agrees with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Because the bible doesn't really mean what it really says.  What it REALLY means is... whatever Ironhorse agrees with.

Yup. We Ex-Christians should start our own denomination complete with Bible proofs and what various authors say that agree with whatever we want to claim is true. It could be a lot of fun!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Yup. We Ex-Christians should start our own denomination complete with Bible proofs and what various authors say that agree with whatever we want to claim is true. It could be a lot of fun!

The great thing about the bible is that most of it is so vague that you can use it to support whatever worldview you have.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 12/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So, you reference other scriptures to better understand what you already believe.  Which means you do "approach the scriptures with 'my beliefs' and then try to validate them".  Which is EXACTLY what those other guys (who are wrong) also do.  So, again, I must pose the question, what makes you any different from them?  Please try to answer the question this time.

@ironhorse

If the gifts of the holy spirit has ceased, then the question would be "When do they start again" Does this mean those who possess such power's in the future trump current day Christians? I myself don't think that the Bible say's these gifts did cease, rather it was evidence that such power's didn't work in the first place. 

These kind of Christians excuse themselves from the obvious, by claiming that spiritual gifts ended for a time they can continue believing contrary to the evidence. 

• Super Moderator
On 12/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So, you reference other scriptures to better understand what you already believe.  Which means you do "approach the scriptures with 'my beliefs' and then try to validate them".  Which is EXACTLY what those other guys (who are wrong) also do.  So, again, I must pose the question, what makes you any different from them?  Please try to answer the question this time.

@ironhorse

15 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Which means you do "approach the scriptures with 'my beliefs' and then try to validate them".

The quote you posted is not what I said:

This is the what I stated:  

First, I do not approach the scriptures with “my beliefs” and then try to validate them by cherry picking or reading into the text that which it does not say.

What makes me different from “them”? Who are the “them” you are referring to?

I am not practicing “my view” of reading and studying scriptures.  I am trying to follow what the scriptures tell us about reading and studying the scriptures: Heeding the warnings concerning false teachers, test the spirits and to rightly divide the word.

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

~ 1 John 4:1

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

~ Acts 17:11

• Super Moderator

The "them" would be the false teachers to whom you refer.  The guys who are wrong even though they use the same methods and techniques you use for interpreting the scripture.  So I'm still waiting for you to tell me what makes you any different from them.

@ironhorse

13 minutes ago, ironhorse said:

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

~ 1 John 4:1

Do not believe every spirit, nor every man, nor everything you read. Determine for yourself if something is useful to you or if you might deem it to be oppressive or manipulative in some future time. If someone wants you to think a particular religious way (with consquences like Hell if you don't comply), beware. If someone's belief system is above criticism, they are infected with a mind virus. Assume your mind will be similarly infected if you begin to follow their path.

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, ironhorse said:

I am trying to follow what the scriptures tell us about reading and studying the scriptures

Image result for circle