Goodbye Jesus

Glad to be Back - reintroduction

Deva

I joined this forum in 2006, after spending a couple years reading it and not posting anything.  Then after I started, I really got into it!  I guess I poured my heart out for about 8 years.  This site is better than any therapy I have ever been to (I have see three therapists so far).  I still struggle with Christianity and I probably always will. It is very hard to totally free oneself of fundamentalism when raised in it.  What I can say after all these years is that I at least know when I am going downhill.  That is, the old program in my brain kicks in, creating fear and then leading to the desire to re-enter some form of church where I can again feel safe, but boxed in and just following old programs that don't serve me.

I became a Buddhist in 2008.  The particular kind of Buddhism I got into was Tibetan, and I also have had difficulties with that, but I still think there is some truth in it, and it isn't oppressive to me like Christianity.  Buddha said to try his method out and not just blindly believe.

I have many old friends here, and I recently thought it just would be a good idea to reconnect with everyone.

• Like 7

• Super Moderator

I hope you've been well, Deva.  You and Noob were the first ones to welcome me here when I joined in 2007.  I've missed you and am glad to see you around again! 

• Like 3

Hi Deva. 

• Like 1

Hello, Deva!  Hello, buffettphan!  I'm still around.  These days I mostly lurk but I stop by once or twice a week to see what's happening.   I keep thinking I'll get back to being a more regular participant, but then life gets in the way.  I have to admit when the old recipe thread resurfaced recently it brought back a lot of good memories!  Anyway, I saw my name and had to respond.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Deva! So good to see you on the board! I still say to this very day that one of the nicest things that ever happened to me was the day I met you, Noob and florduh in person!! And I have to say that EX-c is still my favorite "therapy''. Hope  to hear more from you! 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Great to hear from you Noob!  I hope you're doing well and that you'll stop by to say "hi" every now and then!

• Like 2

Welcome back Deva! Glad to see you have come back.

• Like 1

Welcome back!

• Like 1

Thank  you everyone! What a warm welcome back.  There is no place like Ex-C!  I see here my old friends, Noob, Buffetphan and Margee! You all mean so much to me.  Also new friends - Jeff,  very pleased to meet you! Also Storm and Tsathoggua9! I am also a Lovecraftian, Tsathogua, and I get the reference to your name immediately.  My thanks to you all.

I am doing well, I had some issues with anxiety in the last year or so, had a relapse back to xianity, but am better now.

• Like 5

Hi Deva,

I think we met before. Funny you should say you took time out because of anxiety issues. I had to do the same!

I came across fantastic therapy (online) through a psychologist who specializes in Cognitive Behavior Therapy who created an App and a course for people who suffer from depression and anxiety but are unable to afford conventional therapy. PM me if you want to know more about it. I tell you, it's done wonders for me. Very mind healing!

Welcome back.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JenniferG said:

Hi Deva,

I think we met before. Funny you should say you took time out because of anxiety issues. I had to do the same!

I came across fantastic therapy (online) through a psychologist who specializes in Cognitive Behavior Therapy who created an App and a course for people who suffer from depression and anxiety but are unable to afford conventional therapy. PM me if you want to know more about it. I tell you, it's done wonders for me. Very mind healing!

Welcome back.

JenniferG:  Please forgive me if I say I don't remember you. I have probably interacted with a hundred or more folks here.   I did not take time out because of anxiety issues, they developed after I left.   No thank you to any other forms of therapy.  I am fortunate enough to have insurance and will pursue that route in person - if necessary. I will say that my experiences with therapists have not been too helpful and leave it at that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Margee said:

Hi Deva! So good to see you on the board! I still say to this very day that one of the nicest things that ever happened to me was the day I met you, Noob and florduh in person!! And I have to say that EX-c is still my favorite "therapy''. Hope  to hear more from you! 

Hahaha!!! 

Central Florida meet ups? 

• Like 3

On 8/14/2017 at 6:32 PM, Deva said:

I joined this forum in 2006, after spending a couple years reading it and not posting anything.  Then after I started, I really got into it!  I guess I poured my heart out for about 8 years.  This site is better than any therapy I have ever been to (I have see three therapists so far). ...

I have many old friends here, and I recently thought it just would be a good idea to reconnect with everyone.

Great to see you, Deva. Yes, this site has contributed a lot to my ability to get over the effects of the cult.

All best, f

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joshpantera said:

Hahaha!!! 

Central Florida meet ups? 

I would love one! If you would start one, maybe we could get some other Florida Ex-Cs together!

6 minutes ago, Deva said:

I would love one! If you would start one, maybe we could get some other Florida Ex-Cs together!

It's crossed my mind seeing how many of us live around here. Also, since Orlando is like the conference capital, ex-C could do something and include all that wish to fly in and participate. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

Orlando is a two hour drive for me, very doable on a weekend. I think its a good idea.  I just don't have time to organize it.

I've also considered @DarkBishop and those up near the mountains. I'll be visiting northern Georgia and Tennessee going into the fall and winter. Maybe grab a beer sometime and have a few real time discussions.

Oddly enough, I'm a couple hours away from Orlando as well. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I've also considered @DarkBishop and those up near the mountains. I'll be visiting northern Georgia and Tennessee going into the fall and winter. Maybe grab a beer sometime and have a few real time discussions.

Oddly enough, I'm a couple hours away from Orlando as well. 

That sounds great Joshpantera! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deva said:

JenniferG:  Please forgive me if I say I don't remember you. I have probably interacted with a hundred or more folks here.   I did not take time out because of anxiety issues, they developed after I left.   No thank you to any other forms of therapy.  I am fortunate enough to have insurance and will pursue that route in person - if necessary. I will say that my experiences with therapists have not been too helpful and leave it at that.

Fair enough :)

Hi Deva

I remember you from a long time ago, but you may not remember me. I'm in Australia and I gave away the oppressive cult a long time ago (in the 80s). I still have a few VERY liberal Christian friends on Facebook.

I understand what you mean about oppressive. To this day, I still feel the pressure of what other people think, and I'm in my 60s now. I have also followed some of the Buddhist teachings and also some of the Hindu teachers, but without the literalism.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue elephant said:

Hi Deva

I remember you from a long time ago, but you may not remember me. I'm in Australia and I gave away the oppressive cult a long time ago (in the 80s). I still have a few VERY liberal Christian friends on Facebook.

I understand what you mean about oppressive. To this day, I still feel the pressure of what other people think, and I'm in my 60s now. I have also followed some of the Buddhist teachings and also some of the Hindu teachers, but without the literalism.

Hi Blue Elephant.  I do remember you, but it has been a long time.  I understand about the pressure of what other people think. It is one reason why I just don't really feel comfortable in groups.  I feel like I become someone else, not free to be who I am.  I much prefer  being out in nature and observing birds and wildlife.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome back. Ready to rumble? :58:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Deva, pleased to see you posting with this buncha scalliwags and other social square pegs/oblong hole sorts!

kevinL

• Like 4

Welcome back.  All well?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ellinas said:

Welcome back.  All well?

Hi Ellinas.  Thank you for the welcome back.  Yes, I am doing well.