Goodbye Jesus

Movie Pass

mwc

This is sort of a review so I figured I just toss it in here.

When Movie Pass announced that it was going to be $10/month for unlimited movies my wife and I signed up.  It didn't go well since their site was swamped.  But once we got through it it wasn't so bad.  Until we were told we couldn't actually use it for several more weeks until our special card came.  That sucked since we wanted to give it a go.  We finally got our cards and were able to try it out and it all makes sense now.

How the whole thing works is it requires both the app on your phone and the card.  The card is a regular old debit card.  So when you want to go to a movie you have to be within 100 yards of the theater, you "check in" via the app (this allows you to charge to your card), then you have 30 minutes to actually purchase your ticket with your card at the ticket office just like usual.  

If you change your mind, or the movie is full when you actually try to purchase the ticket, there's a cancel option on the app.  This is important as you can view one movie per day with the movie pass.  You're also limited to 2D movies only (no special screens like 3D, RPX, IMAX, etc.).  I also believe you cannot rewatch the same movie twice.  If you want to see that wonderful Emoji movie again the second viewing is entirely out of your pocket and not amortized.

So we saw two matinee movies over the weekend.  Total cost of the tickets was around $15/each so we're ahead $5 so far this month.  Each person has to have an account.  Since it's a Mastercard debit card it works pretty much everywhere they do (Mastercard debit cards work at every theater around me).  I imagine we will be able to watch at least a couple of movies a month so this will be worth it for us.  Even if we only catch one a month a full fare movie is about $9.50 so we're only down half a buck.  We tend to buy some sort of snack at the theater, overpriced as they are, since we know that's the only way the theaters make money.

The app itself provides you with the list of theaters and movies you can see at those theaters.  If it doesn't appear you cannot use movie pass.  It also "checked in" to the current/next showing.  It assumes you're at the theater to watch the movie right then and there.  Not buy tickets for a later showing to return at that time (if the option exists I haven't found it yet).  The app is kind of cruddy at the moment.  It didn't work at all when I signed up so it has improved in that it works now.  Not high praise I know.  I think this will improve since it really has no other place to go.

Anyhow, if think you might like to catch a couple of movies at the theater or give yourself an excuse to catch a couple more movies that way then think about grabbing one of these things.

mwc

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Thanks for posting this.  We were thinking about getting the Movie Pass and then read about all the problems, so decided against it.  It sounds like they're working out the bugs and if that's the case, it is a good deal, especially if it covers all or at least most movies.    Sounds like it's worth looking into again.  

It's actually a pretty good deal.  We're using to watch all those "Let's wait for NetFlix" sort of movies.  We've already got a life time of those already.  It's not like I'll use it for Star Wars since I'll pay to watch that on IMAX (got a real one nearby). 

That's another thing.  You can't use the card to offset costs.  So if you use it to check-in one movie but buy a ticket to another (without using the cancel feature) or try to "upgrade" your ticket by paying for part out of pocket or something that can get your Movie Pass revoked.  They track it all and since that's how they make money they're pretty strict (their site has the rules) although it's actually as simple as I make it above (2D showings only no special screens or features but opening day is cool).

We saw Despicable Me 3 and Baby Driver (at an AMC with electric reclining seats).  Two different theaters.  Two different prices.  No problems.  Same exact procedure at both.  Drove up.  Parked.  Checked-in in the car.  Walked over and bought our tickets.  Success.  The only thing different from how we normally do things is we now buy our tickets separate instead of together.

At the second theater the girl at the window asked us about it and wanted to sign up even though she worked at a theater since it worked elsewhere.

I don't know if their business model will hold up but if it fails I'll enjoy it until then and cancel it if they try to stick it to me.

mwc

It has to eventually fail right? I mean, they are planning on getting their money back by selling analytical information or something. But until it does, I say take advantage of it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.