Goodbye Jesus

So much guilt...

Christy

Welcome Christy.  I am so glad that you are free.

8 hours ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

Hey, it is great to have you aboard. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hello! Thanks you :)

@DarkFlash that sounds awful I am sorry you had to go through that but I am so glad that you were able to press through to the other side. Another similarity, my mother would keep us from certain books and movies also because they were of the "devil". I will never hold my children back from books. Reading is one of my most favorite things. And yes, they can grow and be who they are without living in fear of an angry God or the fires of hell. I finally feel like I can be who I am. I am breaking away from the days of feeling guilty for sins that were not evil or destructive. I am a good person without religion. My children will be better withought it. 

7 hours ago, MOHO said:

Welcome aboard from the Unequally Yoked club, @Christy !

Thank you for sharing your story. It so reflects what so many here have experienced. I myself dove into the bible in an attempt to qualm my doubts but wound up disbelieving based on what I read. Also reading sections of the books that @Geezer recommends as well as excerpts from Leaving the Fold on Jorneyfree.org assisted in my deconversion and in putting my mind at ease regarding the fears and guilt that you mentioned.

You are so fortunate to have your spouse and best friend along for the journey.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

I'm sorry MOHO, I can't imagine how hard that must be on you. I've read a few things you've posted on hear about your wife still following Christianity. My heart is with you. I am very lucky that my husband and I seemed to come out of religion at the same time. We always shared our questions and disagreements over Christianity and I think that is what led to our coincidence. Will your wife listen to your side, the reasons you don't believe? I will add that website to my list of things to explore. Thank you for the welcome! 

7 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

You can start with telling people who want to evangelize or argue with you that you don't believe in sin and you reject that you even need to be saved in the first place. When they ask why, you can say if Adam and Eve actually happened as described in the Bible, then how were they supposed to know that God wasn't evil if they didn't have that knowledge yet. You can talk all about how the history of the bible is flawed, it's not faith if it actively goes against scientific discovery, and also fuck them lol. You can point out, as a parent, that you'd never deliberately set your children up to fail your standards and that you could never even conceive of creating a hell for people to go to at all. 

They shut up pretty quick when they can't use "sin" as an argument. They'll try again and you just go...."No. Morality is a social construct."

Hahaha!!! 👏👏👏👏love it!! 

7 hours ago, God said:

I am most definitely an ass. 

I knew it the moment you blamed Eve for your fuck up! 😂

6 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Welcome Christy.  I am so glad that you are free.

Thank you. It feels good to drop the chains of religion. 

. .Books. I'm an avid fan of comic books (The Flash preferably) and so is he with all of his chosen favorites. .until certain villain names are mentioned. Most recently was a new enemy in Barry's universe introduced and on instance was the talk about him nulled due to my father dismissing the convo. Reason? His name is Godspeed. In the home when I was younger though we owned the 2003 Daredevil film could we only call him "DD" which to this day to me is very much ridiculous and yet hilarious as it should be. Question though. Does anyone remember how problematic Christians made owning a Pokemon game years ago? If not it's cool. Mine were trashed due to their devilish looks and spiritual influence.

Hi, Christy. Yes, the 3 pillars of Christianity are guilt, shame and fear.

I only served 10 years (after growing up agnostic) in a Pentecostal church so was easier for me to disengage from its hold. The whole belief system is nonsense.

I guarantee those people in the Pentecostal church that supposedly experienced Jesus were just having a little brain chemical euphoria coupled with group-think and creative imagination. They just dont have the guts to admit that God never really ever showed up in person and that the whole deal is merely a fervent wish as opposed to reality.

3 hours ago, DarkFlash said:

. .Books. I'm an avid fan of comic books (The Flash preferably) and so is he with all of his chosen favorites. .until certain villain names are mentioned. Most recently was a new enemy in Barry's universe introduced and on instance was the talk about him nulled due to my father dismissing the convo. Reason? His name is Godspeed. In the home when I was younger though we owned the 2003 Daredevil film could we only call him "DD" which to this day to me is very much ridiculous and yet hilarious as it should be. Question though. Does anyone remember how problematic Christians made owning a Pokemon game years ago? If not it's cool. Mine were trashed due to their devilish looks and spiritual influence.

My son loves The Flash. We watch the show and follow the comics. Him and my oldest daughter pretend to be Barry and Godspeed and race through the yard and play fight. My parents didn't have a problem with Pokémon but they wouldn't let me read Harry Potter and later didn't want me to see the movies. 

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

Hi, Christy. Yes, the 3 pillars of Christianity are guilt, shame and fear.

I only served 10 years (after growing up agnostic) in a Pentecostal church so was easier for me to disengage from its hold. The whole belief system is nonsense.

I guarantee those people in the Pentecostal church that supposedly experienced Jesus were just having a little brain chemical euphoria coupled with group-think and creative imagination. They just dont have the guts to admit that God never really ever showed up in person and that the whole deal is merely a fervent wish as opposed to reality.

You are right. Those three things are how you are controlled in this religion. I believe your observation of a Pentecostal service is spot on! 👍

Welcome Christy, your story sounds pretty familiar to mine. I've never felt close to god either and guilt was what controlled me. Basically I stayed in the church because my doubts were deep enough down there that it took a lot for them to surface. And I know the sense of freedom youre feeling, isn't it awesome after all that guilt and depression because you just didn't feel good enough? No amount of forgiveness equaled that feeling of freedom for me when it finally arrived. 

It's very very hard to deal with parents and let them know... Several months down the road I'm still trying to find the courage to do it myself. Don't rush it, give yourself time to adapt and gain strength before and if you go through with that. I wouldn't go through with it at all personally if it wasn't necessary, but it is because I can't live a pretense. 

Welcome to ex-c, we are glad to have you here 🙂 

-TS

@TruthSeeker thank you very much. Yes, to be done with the guilt is liberating. We are good people, Christianity made me feel like I wasn't. I would like to keep it from my parents but I know that won't be possible. We will soon be moving back to my hometown and I know we will be assumed to go along with the parade. I can't fake it anymore. I've gone too far and my eyes are opened too wide. We are currently 10 hours from them. We move back next year... 

You will need especial strength to be able to withstand the wiles of the wicked [one].

Moving away from our parents was one of the best things that we could have done.

You will need to strengthen your new found "non-faith" before going back into the lion's den.

Family and relatives are the hardest to stand up to. My prayers and thoughts are with you now and next year.

Many blessings!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cal said:

You will need especial strength to be able to withstand the wiles of the wicked [one].

Moving away from our parents was one of the best things that we could have done.

You will need to strengthen your new found "non-faith" before going back into the lion's den.

Family and relatives are the hardest to stand up to. My prayers and thoughts are with you now and next year.

Many blessings!

Thank you Cal