Goodbye Jesus

Natural Disasters when US tries to divide Israel's Land, etc.

Kris

I had these two articles sent to me on Facebook by a family member-- how can I debunk these.  I did check the events, and the dates to appear to line up, give or take a few days.  Is this coincidence or something else?  Do these people just not count devastating events that don't happen to coincide with discussions regarding Israel?

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/62044-10-times-god-has-hit-america-with-a-major-disaster-after-the-us-attempted-to-divide-the-land-of-israel

and

http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/prophecy/disasters.html

Goodbye Jesus

The US is huge, it has a wide range of geographic and industrial features that lend itself to disaster.

Chances are you can pick any day of the year and attribute a disaster to it. It's called cherry picking - Christians are pros at cherry picking.

They just had two hurricanes smack into them - apparently this lines up with bible versus and was gods judgement... strangely enough on the reddest of the red states. Go figure.

You are right - its the same as prophesy: they count the hits, discount the misses, and when it doesn't fit its reinterpreted to fit. Welcome to religion!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So in some cases god has the disaster hit when talks begin and in other cases the disaster just sort of forms?

Like the "perfect storm" in the first example and Katrina.  They just sort of "spin up" when talks begin or when the last of the settlers are going.

But in other cases you have Clinton meeting with Assad and you get an earthquake that day or the Madrid Peace Conference gives you Hurricane Andrew hitting Florida.

God sure isn't consistent in these disasters is he?  Sometimes it's when the talks (or whatever) start (or before) and other times it's long after they're over and people on the ground are moving out.

I haven't looked but I would imagine that a lot more talks have occurred on this subject than just these ten.  It's really like "god" is waiting for natural conditions to be met as opposed to creating those conditions to send a message.  And if this is a message about Israel it's not clear because a lot of god's mouth pieces sure think it's about other things like gay marriage and who knows what else.

mwc

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Maybe god causes the talks because he knows disaster is about to strike.  

Or maybe we live in a random universe where infinite possibilities exist and therefore, by simple dint of probability, talks and disasters occassionally coincide by pure chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How would one go about falsifying such a claim? You can't disprove that which can never be falsified. The claim is simply made on a whim, with no evidence supporting it whatsoever. In the mind of the person making it, it can never be wrong or proven wrong, so why even get into that discussion? It's like arguing with a cat. 

https://explorable.com/falsifiability

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Kris said:

I had these two articles sent to me on Facebook by a family member-- how can I debunk these.  I did check the events, and the dates to appear to line up, give or take a few days.  Is this coincidence or something else?  Do these people just not count devastating events that don't happen to coincide with discussions regarding Israel?

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/62044-10-times-god-has-hit-america-with-a-major-disaster-after-the-us-attempted-to-divide-the-land-of-israel

and

Three step retort process:

1. The bible is bullshit.

2. I reject your fear.

3. Thank you.

You don't have to debunk claims that seem to coincide with a book of bullshit, do you?

It's like someone claiming the Flying Spaghetti Monster is cursing the world. It says so right here in this obvious book of FSM BS. Nobody would believe that. Why should anyone believe what the bible says? Ask them that. Or simply tell them that there is absolutely no reason to believe anything in the bible. Period.

I wouldn't even argue tit for tat bible verse against bible verse. Arguing bible verses kind of gives credence to their bible. Just denounce the entire bible and all they can hit you with is some vague threat that they made up themself. Which is what these 2 articles are: BS someone just made up.

Start sending them Alex Jones Infowars articles to this person. Unsubscribe from their FB feed.

Why does God punish his own followers in the bible belt? LoL Seems more logical to wipe out those heathens in California. Maybe Jesus is angry at Confederate statues. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Kris said:

and

I suggest you spend time with learning to distinguish among and between non-sequitur, coincidence, correlation and causation.

As to debunking the items on your lists, the compliers of those lists assume causation.  Demand they demonstrate causation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

That's just silly. Every good Christian knows that natural disasters are caused by homosexuals. 

Next.......

Seriously, rational people can't waste their time thinking about this bullshit. Unsupportable assertions are religion's stock in trade. Leave them to their fantasies and move the fuck on already.

• Thanks 1

I prayed and Jesus told me to block all these religious wack jobs on FB. :)

• Haha 1

Well, I wonder if god is mad at poor Mexico now-- 2 earthquakes just a couple of weeks apart!  And all the hurricanes that seem to devastate the island countries.

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Well, I wonder if god is mad at poor Mexico now-- 2 earthquakes just a couple of weeks apart!  And all the hurricanes that seem to devastate the island countries.

Serious question, Kris.  

Between 1346 and 1353 God saw fit to kill up to 200 million people in Europe and Asia in a particularly agonizing and drawn-out way.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

So was this natural disaster caused by the United States trying to divide up the land of Israel?

2 hours ago, Kris said:

..........And the communities on fire, and the landslides... and the floods... and the avalanches... and the blizzards... and the heatwaves... and the tsunamis......

It pretty well looks like Armageddon (and it's all very sad) but it's just ''the story of the earth'' hun. Whether we like it or not. Cold, hard facts. (hug)

Worth the watch even if every fact is not true. It will give you a good idea how we got here.

2 hours ago, Kris said:

The message seems pretty clear.  God is telling them to pay for the wall.  He's going to tear down their things as a message to build this other thing.

Or maybe he's telling Mexico to stand up to the US against the immigration stuff.  So he's ruining their land so they must come here.  Or maybe...

mwc

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Do you have evidence of a causal link between the occurrence of these events and this "god" you mention?

Of course not.

Why, then, do you wonder about it?

It's very important to note that God seems to primarily send earthquakes along well defined plate boundaries and fault lines - there is no link between sinful people and living on fault lines.

He also sends tornados during a particular season down a particular defined area known as tornado alley. Why hasn't a tornado dropped in on my house to obliterate this particular atheist?

He also will punish people with volcanoes - strangely enough all judgements seem to go to cities within the vicinity of volcanoes.

God also sends Tsunamis - again a very peculiar observation is that Tsunamis only strike coastal areas and are triggered by earthquakes or underwater seabed movements.

For all of these disasters we have causal links that can be predicted and explained. Like  sdelsolray mentions, not one of them are linked to god.

"God sent an earthquake to that city because of the sin of homosexuality" B Tamaki after the 2001 quake

No, that city is sitting right on major fault lines and its been said for years that one day that line is gonna give. The line gave - that's it. God never featured, there was no prophesy of said earthquake, and the vast vast majority of people killed by it were not homosexuals. (This is a real example of an earthquake in 2011 that badly damaged one of NZ's cities.)

On 9/16/2017 at 1:04 PM, florduh said:

That's just silly. Every good Christian knows that natural disasters are caused by homosexuals. 

It's true. Every time I daydream about a boy god smites another country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knightcore said:

So you're the one.  Stop it.

mwc

• Like 1

16 hours ago, knightcore said:

Could you make it so that it preferentially hits Kim Jong-Un? Perhaps if you daydream about Jang Hyun-seung...

17 hours ago, mwc said:

So you're the one.  Stop it.

mwc

I can't, god made me this way just so I could go to hell and I can't defy his creation.

3 hours ago, Rounin said:

Could you make it so that it preferentially hits Kim Jong-Un? Perhaps if you daydream about Jang Hyun-seung...

I don't have a grip on my divine powers yet, it's too unsteady.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, knightcore said:

I can't, god made me this way just so I could go to hell and I can't defy his creation.

Well, sure, but at least maybe fantasize about someone somewhere else for awhile?  Some places need a rest.

mwc

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2017 at 7:28 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

It's very important to note that God seems to primarily send earthquakes along well defined plate boundaries and fault lines - there is no link between sinful people and living on fault lines.

Omniscient god knew from the beginning of time that homos would one day congregate in SF and Key West, where he sends hurricanes instead as he's diverse like that. 

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Currently it would seem that He hates those who speak Spanish.

• Haha 1