Goodbye Jesus

Praying For Permits

nutrichuckles93

So I still sometimes browse my old church's facebook page, to amuse myself with whatever has recently been posted. The church is a 22-year-old mobile church (renting school auditoriums for sunday services) finally getting its own permanent building.

Tonight, they posted asking for prayers for the fire marshal's inspection in the morning. They've been doing the same over the last few months for all the other permits and inspections required for a building.

Isn't it kind of amusing that they want such normal practices that are likely to get passed to be prayed over? Do they have such little faith in their all-powerful god to get a building open to the public he allegedly cares so much for? Lol, I thought it was amusing, as I do with many of my old church's non-dangerous idiosyncrasies.

• Haha 2

Christians claim their God is awesome ... but you have to pray to him for simple shit to happen.

Why don't you make a claim that the building rests on ground that was once used for Voodoo rituals or some other evil nonsense. Just put a bug in someone's ear about it. :) Draw a pentagram on the ground in chalk every night near the area just for fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"UPDATE: The building passed the fire marshal's inspection! Praise god! Thank you so much for your prayers!"

Like seriously, this was no act of god. It was human work of properly prepping a building for inspection. Fuck the fuck off.

2 hours ago, nutrichuckles93 said:

"UPDATE: The building passed the fire marshal's inspection! Praise god! Thank you so much for your prayers!"

Like seriously, this was no act of god. It was human work of properly prepping a building for inspection. Fuck the fuck off.

God guided the hands of those workers and put it in their hearts to follow the necessary codes and regulations.

Or else god caused the inspectors' eyes to be blinded to the infractions. Either way, hallelujah!

• Like 2

So that's how Christians get every prayer answered--they pray only for things that they know are going to happen anyway. I supposed they tell themselves and their congregations that atheists don't get permits. lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, R. S. Martin said:

So that's how Christians get every prayer answered--they pray only for things that they know are going to happen anyway. I supposed they tell themselves and their congregations that atheists don't get permits. lol

Just another reason to express their OCD by saying, "Praise Jesus!"

I received some insight re Christians who get all their prayers answered by a pastor wearing a Jesus T-shirt (a street epistemology video). He said with conviction over and over that every prayer that he prays correctly is answered.

Therein lay the catch. If a prayer was not answered, her claimed responsibility for not praying right.

That showed me very clearly why not to take these people at face value.

I had real needs and I was unable to live with my then-current situation. I could not afford this praying rightly or wrongly approach. When it becomes a life and death matter, sometimes you have to decide that God is not answering; I've got to do what I gotta do. 

At that point, you don't need to hear about not having enough faith, and that God answers all prayers. Praying for permits, MY ASS! I could pray for daily food and transportation, you name it, I could pray for it and get my prayers answered because I already had the stuff in my possession. Just like those people who knew they would get the permit. But forget about real needs, deep needs. 

• Like 3