Goodbye Jesus

Religion Destroys Lives

Blamtasticful

Here is a sad story that I want to share with you all. It came from an atheist vs. theist debate group I frequent on Facebook. Stick around though because the first Christian response on the thread made me want to punch my computer screen. 

Hello people,

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with my #LifeUnderConstruction. Anyway, recently I met this girl. She's really nice and beautiful both on the inside and the outside. Before I could say "Jack" I was too into her.

Anyway it turns out she's ill and she fears she'll die soon. So, a Christian girl that she is, she doesn't want to comit any sin so that when she dies, she'll go to heaven. By sin I mean she doesn't want to 'fornicate,' among other things. She's now leading a strict 'no pleasure' lifestyle because she wants to go to heaven.

I look at her and I'm both offended and bewildered. She's a smart girl and I can't believe that she thinks she'll go to heaven after she dies. I looked at her when she spoke like "these religious folk have taken this children stories and belief a little too far."

Anyway I'm worried for her, not because she's going to die (I hope she doesn't) but because if I were the one in her shoes, I'd be living life as much as possible. I'll try to enjoy what's left of my life with the people I love, making love (if that's what I fancy) having deep conversations, etc. not restraining myself because I'm afraid that if I live my life as I want, I'll go to hell.

Your thoughts please.

A very sad story indeed by a young person. It's not about the sex it's about being saddened over repression. But the Christian response will blow your mind.

"If she has repent from those sins, she will be pardoned, God will have mercy on her,so she can live but eventually if she die as a repented girl then will be in Paradise."

This is why pascal's wager is fucking bullshit. All she has to do is be a good girl. Just keep walking on egg shells with the constant fear that you'll go to hell. Just never be happy and experience fun things before you die. This is disgusting; it's inhuman. If god does not exist than this is a tragedy beyond description. I encourage the people here to not ever forget why we push back against religion. Religion is cancer; time to cut it out.

• Thanks 2

But how, in a humane manner, do we do it in a situation like this? We can't violate her wishes even if we disagree with them and believe that she is destroying what life she has. In her mind, she has latched onto joy unspeakable that is just "around the corner," the minute she is "called home." We atheists know that death is the end. She does not know this. Let her have the comfort of her delusion if that's what keeps her sane in this difficult time. For her, that is quality life for the time she has left. 

It seems more like fear than joy imho. I would let her go because I don't think I could do anything.

• Like 1

That's why I always compare the god of the bible to an abusive spouse. Sure he'll "forgive" you (at the price of blood), but you'd better watch yourself or he might be pissed at you for being human again. "Kiss the son, lest he become angry and you be destroyed in your ways" The bible teaches believers to cower before the threats of damnation, so even if they think they are forgiven, they still have to account for their thoughts about sin. Jesus started that one with his "even looking at a woman with lust is adultery". Lust is built into every sexual animal on the planet. Take normal and call it perverted and evil, then provide the snake-oil cure. That's religion.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blamtasticful said:

It seems more like fear than joy imho. I would let her go because I don't think I could do anything.

I know. But what can you do? Violating her wishes is not going to make the fear go away. I agree with you that religion destroys lives. It's so sad.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Really is sick and disgusting the mental abuse religion inflicts upon children. Religious indoctrination should be considered child abuse

• Like 1