Goodbye Jesus

VINDICATION! :D

ag_NO_stic

Good for you. I'm in a similar situation where I just keep my mouth shut around the family. It's funny when they come to my house for dinner, I just start digging in and don't give them a chance to say a blessing. 

I love that that quote you have: "Atheism isn't a religion, it's a personal relationship with reality." I'm going to have to steal that one. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, BlindersRemoved said:

Good for you. I'm in a similar situation where I just keep my mouth shut around the family. It's funny when they come to my house for dinner, I just start digging in and don't give them a chance to say a blessing. 

I love that that quote you have: "Atheism isn't a religion, it's a personal relationship with reality." I'm going to have to steal that one. 

Haha! I can't remember the last time I invited my folks over for dinner, but I'll have to remember to do that. Not in this house! xD

1 hour ago, ag_NO_stic said:

I have a special moment to share with you all, I hope it makes you proud. As many of you know, I am a bit outspoken and feisty on the forum at times. I don't mind throwing "fuck" around or calling people out. It may surprise you to know that I'm not outspoken about religion in my personal life, I usually just shutup and think snarky things to myself. On Saturday evening, I let the snark show and it was pure beauty incarnate. Allow me to give you the details. :D:D:D

I had a headache, but went to my sister's birthday dinner anyway. The whole table knew I had a headache, because I was impatient for the bread to come out so I could have food on my stomach for the advil. Towards the end of the meal, as we were all preparing to leave, my mother asked how my head was feeling. I said it felt a lot better and she said, "I prayed for you. It was Jesus." Mind you, this was not an audible prayer, she could have just as easily not said she prayed if my head still hurt. Nonetheless, she was completely serious. I, chuckling good naturedly, said 'I wonder how Jesus would have done without the advil!" And then I just moved on before she could sass me. She said nothing about it to me later.

For many of you, this may not seem like much. I assure you, it was a huge step for me. I asserted myself to the family who has not yet had the "I am agnostic" talk yet. I think there is an unspoken understanding of where I am, but there is not much discussion about it and there has not been a line drawn in the sand. I put up with religious talk all day long and I am extremely proud of my retort. :D Cheers!!

That's so great! Self-assertion is truly a wunnerful thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

For many of you, this may not seem like much.

I'm sure many know, just exactly, how much this truly is.

I have, upon occasion, said similar things but the response is so...well...mean!

If they wanted an intellectual debate I'd be up for that. But I'm talking about where they simply say my name, in a loud, demonstrative tone. They can enjoy their fucking cult if they like.

Anyway - good on 'ya @ag_NO_stic !!!

I now how good it just fuck'n feels some times! :58:

• Like 4

Well done.

A step forward; and, with a careful dose of applied snarkyness, you might even habituate your family to it.

• Like 3

Well done Ag, I'm proud of you.

I hope further 'revelations' to the family goes well :) 

• Like 3

I remember my first Thanksgiving as an atheist. When I was expected to "give thanks" at the dinner table, I thanked everyone involved with the meal preparation -- my (then) wife, mother in-law and sister in-law. 

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

I was thinking, "Hey! At least I'm not trying to take credit for buying all of this food, ya'buncha dicks!" Even though I did...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

I remember my first Thanksgiving as an atheist. When I was expected to "give thanks" at the dinner table, I thanked everyone involved with the meal preparation -- my (then) wife, mother in-law and sister in-law. 

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

I was thinking, "Hey! At least I'm not trying to take credit for buying all of this food, ya'buncha dicks!" Even though I did...

Luckily, I'm a woman. I can just look at any generic man in the room and it's understood that I shall not be praying. xD My mom has asked me to pray for dinner before, knowing how I feel, and I just said no thanks. xD

It bothers me when my parents pray in public restaurants, it did even as a Christian.... it's so against the NT lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1