Goodbye Jesus

Precessional Cosmology

Robert_Tulip

Introduction

My name is Robert Tulip, and I have joined this forum on the invitation of Josh Pantera, with whom I share interest in astrotheology, specifically around deconstructing Christian beliefs against the frameworks of ancient astronomy and myth.  As Josh mentioned in a recent thread, when we first started discussing these themes I thought Jesus existed, but reading mythicist literature rapidly brought me to the view that Jesus was entirely fictional.

I have long had an intellectual interest in Christianity.  I wrote my BA Hons thesis in philosophy on Precession of the Equinox in Christian Theology (1985), and my Master of Arts Honours thesis in philosophy on The Place of Ethics in Heidegger’s Ontology (1991), addressing the theme of the meaning of being as care.  Both my BA and MA theses sought to present a constructive critique of Christianity from an atheist angle, respecting the ethical story of Jesus Christ while rejecting all supernatural claims. 

I call myself a Christian atheist because I take the view that atheism is the tradition of thought that best adheres to what I consider the highest ethical values, logic and evidence. I also see those scientific rational values at the origins of Christianity, except that it is necessary to excavate the historic rubble of Christendom to find the hidden fugitive traces of the real origins.  I have a core interest in reconciling faith and reason, recognising the social values of faith (worship, trust, belonging, vision, community, ritual) but the failure of traditional faith to subject authoritarian traditions to rigorous rational analysis. 

The enduring value of Christianity is in how the story of Jesus seeks to connect the temporal world of history with the eternal truth of the universe through a message of love.  The problem is that the nature of this connection between time and eternity has not been well understood in the popular church, and requires a scientific theology, with radical reform to excise the miraculous and supernatural errors of tradition, seeing these parabolic traditions as pure symbolic allegory. 

In rejecting the fictional accounts of the New Testament, my view is that Christianity began as a Gnostic secret Platonic mystery hermetic wisdom tradition that combined the philosophy, religion and astronomy of the Hellenistic world to invent a universal anointed saviour.   The popularised meme of this Platonic Noble Lie became the Jesus of Nazareth in the Gospel of Mark.  The Jesus Concept then became so wildly popular that it obliterated nearly all evidence of its real mystery origins, which are in a pure high philosophy.  The task of reverse engineering the real origins are to analyse the most plausible cultural evolution of how the rational nature of the universe came to be imagined as reflected in a story of a perfect man, Jesus Christ.

This hermetic theory, on earth as in heaven, reflects the visual astronomical cosmology of precession of the equinoxes, which perfectly explains the meaning of Jesus Christ as alpha and omega, a symbolic presentation of the actual observation of the movement of the spring point from Aries into Pisces which occurred in the year 21 AD, and therefore became the basis for setting the Jesus story in the time of Pontius Pilate.

I have just retired after thirty years working with the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.  I am married with two adult children.

• Like 1

Hi Robert

Welcome to Ex-C. Wow that was a most interesting into. Thanks for posting.

I have dabbled in the subject matter mainly through the introduction of Josh. I actually need to catch up on some reading and videos as Josh suggested that I may be mistaken in my criticism of Zeitgeist.

Meanwhile I'll follow the two of you in your discussions which should be interesting.

Cheers

LF

• Like 1

Hello Robert, and welcome. I think I recognize your name from the Biblical Early Writings forum. I used to hang out there but have not done so recently. 

My parents, esp. my father, believed that Jesus was a yogi who had attained union with God and who taught practices that can enable anyone to progress toward that goal. They believed he lived on after he rose from the dead and that he continued to teach disciples. They thought much of Christianity's narrative was invention that concealed the mystical teachings, though the narrative did allow the ethical teachings to continue.

I'm looking forward to more of what you write.

Thanks for joining Robert.  A while back in the ex-christian spirituality forum, I had mentioned to a struggling christian girl that I have a friend who considers himself a christian atheist. She found the suggestion interesting and I tried to explain, but it's good to have here to explain your own unique ideas about atheism and christianity. The environment here is largely that of more or less newly ex-christians, some who have been struggling back and forth between ex-christianity and christianity, a few old deconvert's of over 20 years or more like myself, and now you who maintain both an atheistic and christian philosophy at the same time. 

I'm thinking that you're unique perspective input my help others in terms of the struggle between christianity and reason, which we all volunteer our time to try and address and possibly help others with. I think that the purpose of ex-C in helping others who are struggling with christianity may benefit from the christian atheist perspective that you offer. It serves to dismantle christian fundamentalism, for one thing.  And it represents one of the steps in social evolution that some of us have discussed here before, concerning people getting away from run of the mill christian theology and advancing into more sophisticated ways of thinking.