Goodbye Jesus

Issues with Money

surferdude

Hi all! I'm 45 years old and haven't been a Christian since I was 18 years old.I was a Christain from 14-18. When I was younger I didn't have a mind of my own so I was really easy to persuade. I really bought into the whole thing in an extreme way. I remember money being taught as if it were a bad thing or evil. For most of my life I haven't been good with Money for various reasons. But I think what I was taught at such a young age not being able to really understand deeply effected me. I know many people who are very devout Christian who are very successful and have lots of money. I'm trying to figure out went wrong with this interpretation. 

My reason for this post is. I'm in a stage where I'm trying to grow, but I have old beliefs that were put on me at a young age that are holding me back. I'm wanting a different career and more money! I've been anxious and fearful that I could go to Hell for it or something. I've even had thoughts like "That's too much money" Who says that? A big part of me know this is nonsense. But I'm afraid too! Please help Me! Thanks!

1 hour ago, surferdude said:

Hi all! I'm 45 years old and haven't been a Christian since I was 18 years old.I was a Christain from 14-18. When I was younger I didn't have a mind of my own so I was really easy to persuade. I really bought into the whole thing in an extreme way. I remember money being taught as if it were a bad thing or evil. For most of my life I haven't been good with Money for various reasons. But I think what I was taught at such a young age not being able to really understand deeply effected me. I know many people who are very devout Christian who are very successful and have lots of money. I'm trying to figure out went wrong with this interpretation. 

My reason for this post is. I'm in a stage where I'm trying to grow, but I have old beliefs that were put on me at a young age that are holding me back. I'm wanting a different career and more money! I've been anxious and fearful that I could go to Hell for it or something. I've even had thoughts like "That's too much money" Who says that? A big part of me know this is nonsense. But I'm afraid too! Please help Me! Thanks!

Howdy!  I'm 56, and I've never been good with money, either.

I gave away many thousands while I was a believer, which I wish now that I had invested in Microsoft and Amazon back in the day. Believers are taught that God will always provide (sermon on the mount), but that is a complete lie, just a great sounding lie intended as a marketing ploy to get you to commit to belief.

I've seen a lot of posts here recently from others who are fighting against the fears they were taught. It takes time to overcome, but it also takes a fairly firm direction about who you would like to become. 45 isn't necessarily too late to start a new career, I did after being laid-off from an IT job. But you can't simply want more money, you need concrete things you want to do and become, and then take steps towards those things consistently.

• Like 1

Hi surferdude

So you weren't part of prosperity gospel movement obviously.

I have never had issues with money. Part because my parents taught me a bit of money management, (Despite also teaching the world was 6000 years old) and part because I have always had an interest in finances so have studied it... probably why I'm an accountant... kinda explain a lot. And I've never had the fear of money thing because we were always taught to donate to the church and 10% in tithes etc so the more we earned the more god was allowing us to give. Like Fuego I to gave many thousands over the years. Probably fully 10% + some for 15 years. 

I can tell you that the more you give to the church the less you have, god doesn't 'reward' you with more money like some say. Hard work gets you more money.

However your issue is deeper than just management - and from I can glean from you it stems from fear.

You say you don't believe in god... but afraid you might go to hell because you are trying to earn more money? So is there lingering doubts about god and hell, if so what are they?

Ultimately you are going to have to over come the fear that's holing you back, and I'm not talking about being reckless and taking silly financial risks, I'm talking about the fear that makes you think that money will send you to hell.

It won't. Why? Hell doesn't exist. We're born, we live, we die. That's reality.