Goodbye Jesus

So, this world we live in right now is only a test from God?

ChelseaGuy

I can't seem to go a day anymore without feeling anxiety or fear about my own loneliness and singleness at least once. I feel like I can't do much of a better job at attracting the opposite sex because I'm awkward, mostly physical awkwardness. It's semi-visible, but sometimes I think I might objectively be using "semi" as a euphemism and the reality is more harsh than that. I'm tired of having "disability" or "special" pride shoved down my throat. I really wish we didn't have to live with diagnostic labels at all.

I had my own share of rejections, heartbreak, etc. and I'm a little shorter guy... my height is 5'7" and white European, even my dad and other male members of my family are at least one-two inches taller than I am, as are most guys my same age group in my locale. How am I supposed to feel confident? Especially when there is a certain (spreading?) segment of female society my age or younger that say that they only prefer tall guys (how tall may vary, but even 5'7" isn't as lucky here) and more men are over my height in general? I had nasty outbursts in the past, a few I had in the last year turned out to be very intense and I'd have trouble controlling my emotions about it. I know I should remain confident in my stuff no matter what, but I don't know what encouragement I should be getting.

All of my anxiety and crippled emotional state boils down to the way God allows events to play out. I'm not an atheist, though. But, I'm beginning to consider reasons for his lack of existing, even though I wonder if I'll ever be or want to be convinced. I know it sounds weird talking about why I still happen to bother believing in a God who rigged the system in favor of evil and I'm angry about it, you're probably saying "Why bother?" I tried not to hate or be mad at God before, but I was either in a different mood or sugarcoating my real personal feelings with family and friends.

God wants the things of this world to be just a single, temporary test. I was talking with my dad in his truck today while he was driving me to a doctor's office, we were listening and commenting a bit on the BS about politics and recent news events. I made a comment at one point, I said that God should come down and punish all the politicians and sick people of our society. He responded to me that man should only wait to see God face-to-face for proper justice. He said that this world is only a test from God, and I tend to get flustered and emotional with even the most mild confrontation, I lose my words with what I want to say.

Wow, so this world is only a very short test compared to eternity, and it doesn't matter here at all? I believe that if my dad truly believed the recent news events were so despicable, he would feel the exact same way I do about God. This is supposed to be a test for a better life in eternity, but when eternity happens, God passes away everything about this Earth? Even things he originally credits himself for man to enjoy like having sex or romantic partners, beautiful-looking people? And he also says that it's evil sin to look at and enjoy women? (Okay, and today's church only seems to have a problem with men lusting after women, but it's a free pass the other way around) That trying to live with some mild disabilities in this life is worthless because I won't be able to "feel" desires and materials of this earth anymore? What is the point of it if I couldn't feel the experiences of this world in a "typical" way?

We really have no free will, if we did, we'd have the ability to do things like find a relationship if we desire, for example. We can still grow and learn in the process of this life, but problems and BS in society have just grown bigger and bigger each generation, we can't really impact any significant change in society anymore. Even though we are still technically autonomous beings with free will, what God has done or created has rigged the system to a wide extent. I want my family/friends (like the millions of Nazis that God set up) to stop being so brainwashed to the point from God (Hitler), that they can't see my own frustration that I have. They try to make me feel better, and it has a temporary effect, but it's not helping me feel better on a more fundamental level.

God can stand upside down, catch his head on fire, and fall into a bowl of gasoline as far as I'm concerned. :sad:

Hi ChelseaGuy

I feel for you and the situation you find yourself in. I can relate to relationship difficulties and can't provide much advice here except to repeat what woman on this forum say: confidence is a bigger factor than physical attributes. If you are a good looking guy with low confidence you'll have problems, if you are not so good looking but have high confidence levels you'll have more success. Obviously this in generalisation but something to consider. I have a friend - he's lucky if he hits 5 feet so don't be too worried about your height. I told him he should sue his parents :) 

Regarding the rest - it assumes God,  in particular the Christian god, exists. I find the entire line of conversation pointless because I don't accept that any god exists. So what someone else thinks their god has in store for us, or is testing us etc bears no relation to reality.

Life is hard, and sucks at times. No point in ranting then about a god that exists only in the minds of True Believers (TM).

If you do believe in the god you speak about above, why?

If you don't, is railing against something you don't believe going to help?

I'm partially with your dad. I mean I'm agnostic and definitely not religious, but it is a great temptation and a source of solace for me to think that this isn't really entirely real. That this is just a test. Or a lesson. Just enjoy the ride, whether it's joy or grief or pain and terror that yours is about.

That "God wants this to be a test" is a lame line, though. Your father is not being honest. It's he who wants it's like that. Who's to say what god wants? Or maybe your father meant we are just specimen on a divine test plate, ready to be scraped off and discarded for another batch. In that case he's not being all that lame. But I'd doubt that. People want nice things.

Also, I don't think your point about beautiful women is compatible. You'll have to use evolutional psychology there. Preference for certain indicators of fertility, health, etc. The "this world is a test" line of thinking pertains to cosmological questions.

The peculiarities of this world's workings, like perceiving some things as beautiful, some bodily things as pleasurable or some foods as delicious aren't really relevant in that context. Those are mundane things. You'll have to use mundane means like science to figure them out. Evolutionary psychology. That's why religions so obviously are wrong, because they insist on the mundane, which is not their domain. Like homosexuality, mixed fabrics or a young goat boiled in its mother's milk.