Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

Guest LouiseLane

It's been slow coming the last couple years, but my husband and I finally "came out" about our recent deconversion to my very Christian family yesterday . It definitely hit the fan, but it was good to have it off my chest. It finally feels official so I will probably count March 17 as the officially official day of deconversion.

I'm a Hobbit, it's been about 11 years now. I hope I get to celebrate my 111st birthday as an Atheist!!

It's been about 30 years since I was actively involved in a church. I've been an atheist for about 10 years now.

I had doubts and questions building up for years, but I started seriously questioning my beliefs in 1999. I deconverted in early 2000.

Wow, it's been nine years now since my glorious deconversion! Praise God! :woohoo:

I've been out for a little over a year now. I never bothered to remember the exact day I de-converted, but I believe it was sometime in January of '08. I probably won't ever be able to figure out my specific ex-Xian birthday, but every day is a celebration when you're an atheist. :grin:

Guest dragonfly310

I've been honest with myself and with everyone else (I don't volunteer the info, but if asked, I'll tell 'em) for about 3 months now. I was well aware that I was lying to myself that I did believe in the Christian god. I was also aware that I was really lying to others too. I wanted it that bad. I wanted all the promises and good stuff the doctrines/dogmas promised. I really wanted the community too. Little did I know... :Doh:

Guest Newleaf

About a year and a half now. Fortunately, I switched careers about eleven years ago. I'm a public school teacher now. I was ( gulp ) a pastor for eleven years. It's aukward when I see people who still see me as their "Pastor". That person is long gone.

Difficult to measure, really.

My faith was always shaky and weak and sort of forced. Stopped going to church when I was 9 or 10... stopped referring to myself as Christian when I was 13... and I've been trying to let go completely until now (age 17). So four years-ish except that I haven't managed to stomp all over the voice in the back of my head yet.

Difficult to measure, really.

My faith was always shaky and weak and sort of forced. Stopped going to church when I was 9 or 10... stopped referring to myself as Christian when I was 13... and I've been trying to let go completely until now (age 17). So four years-ish except that I haven't managed to stomp all over the voice in the back of my head yet.

Quit trying to stomp on it. That voice is you. Tell it what to say. :)

Ryfka,

Sometimes those voices take awhile to be quieted! It's an interesting journey! Think of things you love and read about them or go out and experience them in real life. I have always loved reading, but would only read "christian" books. Now I am reading a wide variety of books (all secular!) and I feel like the whole world is opening up to me! Also, as I take in more humanistic/secular thought, via reading books and internet stuff, the old informations is beginning to feel foreign. And now, I feel like my own thoughts are taking over, good stuff! Keep it up!

Guest Eccentrus

I'm 19 now, and I threw it out of the window when I was about 13, so it has been 6 years then, I've doubted since 4 so, this didn't really surprised me, but after being a deist/pantheist for about 2 years, I finally said "A god who is not relevant and not needed in any explanation is a god whose existence is negligible". Hence I've been an atheist for 4 years now.

My entire life - hopefully still welcome here.

I don't see why you wouldn't be. I don't even know if I ever was a Xian, even though I was raised by them.

Guest flexgym

I don't see why you wouldn't be. I don't even know if I ever was a Xian, even though I was raised by them.

I have that unique perspective of being raised as an atheist by atheists, a family of engineers and scientists. I never stood a chance. Attended Fordham University of all places was immersed in philosophy & theology, between that and my buddies the right wing evangelical conservative Christians have turned a cheerful atheist into a militant atheist in the worst way.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 3 years now. I sorta left in 2005 when I stopped going to church, but I'd say I was completely out by Summer 2006.

Woah,It's been a year now,actually!

I have that unique perspective of being raised as an atheist by atheists, a family of engineers and scientists. I never stood a chance. Attended Fordham University of all places was immersed in philosophy & theology, between that and my buddies the right wing evangelical conservative Christians have turned a cheerful atheist into a militant atheist in the worst way.

I sometimes know the feeling. Other times... I think I'm a coward with absolutely no backbone.

Half a year from now. Thought I'm not out of church yet. I think I'm going to drop my membership soon.

Removing membership from a church roll is more difficult than you think. They don't want to do it. They want you back and even if you don't return, they want you in their numbers. The biggest thing is, they want your addy so they can mail you junk, in the hopes you will return, of course. It's almost impossible to get your name removed.

Removing membership from a church roll is more difficult than you think. They don't want to do it. They want you back and even if you don't return, they want you in their numbers. The biggest thing is, they want your addy so they can mail you junk, in the hopes you will return, of course. It's almost impossible to get your name removed.

I hope not. I have really much to think about right now. Then I don't live close to the church I got baptized in so that could maybe be a problem.

I live within walking distance of my old church, but they only bug me via mail. So, I can just file it in file 13 with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it's been over three years since I started this thread and people are still responding.

• 1 month later...

I started questioning Christianity in the fall of 2002. After a period of confusion, I came to realize sometime in 2003 that I didn't really believe anymore. I still went to church with my family for a while, but saw it as a meaningless chore. I've only gone to church once so far this year, though. As far as how long I've been out of Christianity, I guess I'll go with when I fully concluded that I was no longer a believer, so it's been 6 years for me.

The churches I've been affiliated with would not want someone who "rejects christ" on their membership role, since members can go to business meetings and vote. I haven't bothered canceling my membership at my last church, but if I contacted them and told them that I believed they're brainwashed with nonsense, they'd probably remove my membership without me even having to ask.

The Mormon Church I attended did not want to remove my name from the rolls either. However I was able to it. Just tell them you are now an atheist and a homosexual with an active sex life, if your church was like mine they will gladly accommodate your request. I even got a cool Excommunication document out it. Once framed and hung on the wall, it makes a wonderful conversation piece.

Mormon_Ex_Communication.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Davka

The Mormon Church I attended did not want to remove my name from the rolls either. However I was able to it. Just tell them you are now an atheist and a homosexual with an active sex life, if your church was like mine they will gladly accommodate your request. I even got a cool Excommunication document out it. Once framed and hung on the wall, it makes a wonderful conversation piece.

Dude! I am soooo jealous! My church doesn't do excommunications - it's hardly fair. I want a cool framed document too! :vent: