Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

6 years! (3 years of it while attending Xian college- quite a feat if I do say so myself).

:)

Guest Master Spade

I've been Free for over 10 years!!

What made me open my eyes to the fact that religions are all FAKE?? I read the entire bible. That thing is filled with SOOOOOO much contradiction!! Why don't people just READ the entire book with an open mind?? Why....because they've been Trained to FEAR questioning their religion!

Bottom line...ALL religions are MAN MADE!!

Ive been studying the occults since i was 13. I even tried to have faith the Christian God only a few years ago but still could not bring myself to do it. I think it was just trying to grow up and be a good father. However i realized that didnt matter. Plus i wanted to be an Out spoken and active Atheist in Alabama. Because Atheist get a bad rap and are treated with no respect because of their respects. I had a strong passion about this and started organizing an organization here in Alabama.

Back to the question. 14 years however dureing those i practiced, Wicca, elemental magic, and satanism and a whole lot of others.

But once i became an Atheist 4 years ago it was an Enlightenment. I felt great and never looked back.

• 4 weeks later...

officially for me about 5 yrs now. but looking back at the prior 35 yrs i dont think i ever really bought into it. even when i was a little tyke i thought church was boring and i couldnt wait to leave!

For almost seven years now. And damn what a great seven years it's been. If I don't like the way something is going, instead of praying to god to fix it, I just go and fix it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm still struggling to admit/accept my atheism tomn myself never mind my family, but I'd say I haven't been a Christian for over a year now. I haven't attended church regularly for over 3 years and I had serious doubts and questions for many years before that! It's been a long drawn out process but it's a to kick a habit eh?

About 6 or 7 years, depending on where you draw the line. It was definitely not black and white for me. About a year and a half of gray. It's only been this last year that I've truly lost my fear of being wrong. I think it might have something to do with the fact that every 7 years, all of the cells in our body have died and have been replaced, so essencially I'm a different person. Hooray! Fuck Hell!

According to an old blog, after spending a few months reading the Bible for pretty much the first time ever, I became an antitheist on January 20th, 2006.

I guess that's as good a date as any.

God and religion's worth died in late 2005. In January of 2006 I registered at the Association of Former Pentecostals and began seriously thinking about severing myself from religion. Then I saw the words "humanism" and "freethought", and that was that. You might say January 24th is the anniversary of my "rebirth" as a human being, free from exterior control.

Just want to add that my husband of 11 years has left christianity. We started together as christians and now both athiests. It has been only a few short months since he left and nearly 6 years for me. WOW! We are now attending a Sunday Humanist group together with our two youngest children. Finally, my prayers have been answered...j/k.

DD

Since before the registration date I have on this current board. I was around for the previous two incarnations of ex-c.

Damn.

That's coming up on what, 7 years now? Wow.

• 1 month later...

Hello All!

I just joined the board today. Wanted to throw in my 2 pennies on this one. Officially(other than the occasional family wedding deal) I have been Xianity free for at least 10 yrs. Probably somewhere between 10 and 20 yrs all together. I deconverted gradually, well really since my teens. (I'm 40 now.. 41 in the Fall) I had nothing but my own personal Will and Determination. I even did my own little renouncing ritual, complete with "I renounce you Jesus Christ! I renounce you God the Father!, etc" aloud to myself. I'll share the full tale some time, perhaps in another thread or even a post of my own! :) During my deconversion, I knew nothing about Atheism, I just knew I wanted.. NEEDED to run far, far away from the madness which had been a part of my life. I did the deconversion all on my own, first hanging onto things via Paganism/WitchCraft/Satanism... even up to a few months ago, I was calling myself a Heathen(Norse pantheon).. but thanks to the beauty of FaceBook and some polls, I have moved into the Pantheist encampment. (One poll was about the accuracy of the Bible and the other one was about 'Were Atheists/Agnostics going to Hell?") I am presently working my way thru Dawkins' "God Delusion" book. :) And yes, I have a huge TBB list on Amazon of Atheism/Humanism/Transhumanism type books. Being on this site has been like revisiting an old wound and finding it doesn't hurt. Reading others' tales of nightmares and woes thanks to the fundies insanity, has aided me in remember bits and pieces from my own past. I thank you all. Hope to make some new friends and learn quite a bit.

Hello All!

I just joined the board today. Wanted to throw in my 2 pennies on this one. Officially(other than the occasional family wedding deal) I have been Xianity free for at least 10 yrs. Probably somewhere between 10 and 20 yrs all together. I deconverted gradually, well really since my teens. (I'm 40 now.. 41 in the Fall) I had nothing but my own personal Will and Determination. I even did my own little renouncing ritual, complete with "I renounce you Jesus Christ! I renounce you God the Father!, etc" aloud to myself. I'll share the full tale some time, perhaps in another thread or even a post of my own! :) During my deconversion, I knew nothing about Atheism, I just knew I wanted.. NEEDED to run far, far away from the madness which had been a part of my life. I did the deconversion all on my own, first hanging onto things via Paganism/WitchCraft/Satanism... even up to a few months ago, I was calling myself a Heathen(Norse pantheon).. but thanks to the beauty of FaceBook and some polls, I have moved into the Pantheist encampment. (One poll was about the accuracy of the Bible and the other one was about 'Were Atheists/Agnostics going to Hell?") I am presently working my way thru Dawkins' "God Delusion" book. :) And yes, I have a huge TBB list on Amazon of Atheism/Humanism/Transhumanism type books. Being on this site has been like revisiting an old wound and finding it doesn't hurt. Reading others' tales of nightmares and woes thanks to the fundies insanity, has aided me in remember bits and pieces from my own past. I thank you all. Hope to make some new friends and learn quite a bit.

I didn't have any nightmares to escape, but it still took me about 20 years to deconvert, and that was 20+ years ago.

Dawkins' book is good, but I like all of the stories.

As for me, not long enough. I started doubting last summer or at least feeling disconnected. It wasn't until the last two months I started embracing the idea of no longer being a Xian.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's somewhere between two and three years, depending on where I start counting.

It'll be 6 years this Summer. 6 years since I came out of the closet, got kicked out of my church, and discovered asatru paganism (lot of changes for me that year).

• 3 weeks later...

Not long enough.

About 7 to 8 years. I started having doubts when I was 14 and realized I no longer believed when I was about 17 or 18. I submitted my deconversion testimony when I was newly deconverted and I remember that my mind was still messed up back then. I'm doing better now. Still haven't told my family (in unequivocal terms) that I'm an atheist but I think they've figured it out.

Started having doubts when I was 16, left when I was 17. Never going to turn back either, f that lol. :grin:

It's been only about a week since I've known for certain that I don't believe this, and I never will again. But it's been a long time coming. I started doubting about 3 years ago when I was 14 and actually came to the point where I called myself an atheist. But I was coaxed back in with apologetics, intellectual gymnastics, and peer pressure. It took several years of bouncing back and forth between doubt and belief before I finally realized the truth. This site actually helped me to finally admit to myself that I don't believe anymore. If I hadn't found this site, I actually might still be trying to convince myself I believed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out "officially" for nearly a year. Satrted having doubts in my teens, but never really critically examined the faith until my late 20's and early 30's. Even that took a number of years.

Been Atheist since about November, but Agnostic/non-religious since confirmation. Wasn't horribly religious in my life, but quite glad to not believe it anymore.