Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

It was a gradual process for me but the decision to just go ahead and leave it all happened on October 5th. It was at that point I found out I had a full time job awaiting me if I left Bible college. Until that point I was stuck and thought I might as well finish my degree because I could just use that as a base to move to something else in a related field. So on that date I informed everyone who needed to know that I was throwing in the towel. I had been not believing for quite a while before hand but I was still heavily involved and I would sway a little bit back and forth. It's now that I am completely free from the influence that I am stable and heading forward.

I've been out of it for most of this year, although it's felt much more like a gradual process. My first doubts started after I graduated from a fundamentalist Christian high school back in May 2006, and I have become more and more skeptical since, particularly in the political arena (I've been appalled by the poor behavior & attitudes expressed by many former friends & classmates towards Pres. Obama, for example). I've lacked any Ah-ha! moments of changing belief, however. Earlier this year I changed my religious beliefs to "Agnostic" on Facebook, and then earlier this month, I changed them to "Atheist". Richard Dawkins in his "The God Delusion" convinced me that it's not a bad idea to believe what the balance of the evidence indicates. The last time I attended a church on Sunday was early 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped going to Church about 10 years ago, but I kept on reading the Bible and praying on a daily bases up until a couple of weeks ago. I think it was a gradual process of 10 years until I finally dared to admit to myself that I'm not a Christian any more. 

Two years today!

:jesus:

Left Christianity years ago but stopped believing completely only about a few months ago I guess. Hard to pinpoint exactly.

I'd have to say September of 1994 when I moved outta the house and went to college. Never looked back.

Did go to church with mom a couple of times when I was visiting, mainly because I was awake and she asked.

I just remember feeling so uncomfortable that the next time she asked I just said no.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a gradual progression for me, from being confirmed (and realizing at the time that I didn't believe in Jesus), to believing in God but not going to church, then realizing I felt uncomfortable in a church (this was sometime in college) to, over a few years, realizing I didn't even believe in God in that spiritual, overarching being sense anymore. So probably about a year or so ago since I was fully aware of my nontheism. Just me and the universe now (and all of you! :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Its been almost 2 years for me. I don't know the date.

Its been almost 3 years since i started looking for the truth, and became an atheist. However it working on one year since i announced that i do not believe in any god.

Been out almost a year. It's an anniversary I will celebrate with much joy!

After Growing up in a Christian home, discarding my parent's Dutch Reform church for one much more Happy Clappy. and then moving out of the house and deciding" No ways I'm either going to hell or there is no hell". I'd say about 12 years.

That said I have gone through many phases, and one of them, having a 4 year old was wondering if I am denying her a tool for coping with the day to day difficulties of life, by not giving her an easy "one size fits all, we'll tell you what to do" Answer via Christianity.

I've luckily come to my senses, and now feel slightly nauseous that she enjoys Bible class in Nursery school ( can't escape it in my country) But have also decided I will treat her interest in Jesus like I do her interest in Santa and the tooth fairy :)

Is there any place on here that newbies are supposed to introduce themselves By the way?

Never was in it although I had a bout of half-serious curiosity around the age of 20-23 but it seemed too shallow to satisfy my needs.

Officially free since 1990. I initially stopped beliving a few years before, but denied (ignored) it for a few years. It would be a few years before I would tell anyone though.

2 years and 3 months! It's funny to think I became free just a year after I was baptized in a local high school swimming pool! I guess the chlorine killed the holy spirit that was supposed to enter me.

Wow...over 3 years now! Hard to believe that I was such a mad fundy at one point in time! Still sad for the friends lost due to my de-conversion, but I've made lots of new and saner friends since.

Is there any place on here that newbies are supposed to introduce themselves By the way?

I've been wondering the same thing since I started posting.

To answer the question, I started my deconversion about 6 years ago, but it was very slow at first. I decided about 2 years ago that I could no longer consider myself a Christian at all. I told my parents about 6 months after that. I've only been open about my beliefs with relatives since December.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering the same thing since I started posting.

To answer the question, I started my deconversion about 6 years ago, but it was very slow at first. I decided about 2 years ago that I could no longer consider myself a Christian at all. I told my parents about 6 months after that. I've only been open about my beliefs with relatives since December.

To answer you both. A great place to start is in the Ex-Christian Testimonies forum. You'll find that people are really supportive here. :)

Just realized today it's not even been three months. November 17th, 2010 is my deconversion date.

It's been technically over a year now since I officially left Christianity, although to be honest, my mind and heart left it many years prior.

It's been 20 years for me, but sometimes I can still smell the pews.

I am not sure if I have ever been a christian, but I have thought and worried about it for a good 15 years, during most of my adult life. Since a few years I am free of doubt and found peace in atheism. Since my childhood I never felt any attriction in christianity , it has always been a weird thing to me. But my parents are among the finest people I know and I never could face it that they build their lives on an absurd , crazy idea so I ignored the whole thing for many years and hoped that somehow, someday I would understand it. When I got troubles in my own life I finally had to accept the fact that christianity could never be an answer for me. I still am not sure how to act towards family members who do believe. We ignore the subject mostly, although we do know each others view. It's a strange thing , the 'I -know-that-you-know-that-I-think-your-faith-is-absurd-but-you-are-fine-and-still-love-you"- dance. It still feels like an uncomfortable barrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Eighteen years! The first few years were hard, mainly because of my divorce, and my family. What it all did to my kids was really hard, but I was being basically dishonest before, so what choice did I have? I don't think anything is ever easy, but I could never go back. I know it for the Bullshit it always was, now.

Apparently I was an Atheists for an eternity,,, until I was born into a Christian home. [/satire]

Like many others have posted, I can't seem to point out a certain moment in time when I thought "I'm an Atheist". Although there was a couple of memorable moments that helped get me to the point where I am today.

One time, at age 14 I asked my parents if I could stop going to church. My father wanted to kick me out of the house and my mother would not allow it.

Another time was about the same time I joined this site. I was at work and a coworker kept talking about how God has blessed him and his family soo much. He was trying to get me to say something good about God, and I kind of flipped. I told him there was no God and then I ranted for a while. After that I was "known" as an Atheist, but I had my doubts about a God well before that.

I'm still working on gathering sanity I lost during my cult years.

I suppose it's been a full 2 years now, but honestly, I'm not keeping track. All that matters now is that I'm free!

Started questioning a few months back. Broke the news to in-laws a few days ago and sent an e-mail today to my parents. So very new!

• 2 weeks later...

1 year this month! :grin: