Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

Been six months for me. I finally feel like I can be myself for once and not have to hide my true passions. It is liberating knowing that there isn't anything wrong with me and that it is ok to love what I love and pursue my passions without guilt. My family lost all but a couple friends as we live in a small mostly fundamentalist town, but I would never go back. It is also freeing to not worry about indoctrinating my son and daughter in xian delusion. Life is so short and I want to do my best to live it reveling in truth and not floundering in lies.

It was humbling leaving xianity knowing that the easy answers it gave me were wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out since spring of '08. I remember finding EX-C Around that time as I was having a difficult time and Ex-C Helped me so much.

It is The best thing I have ever done.

6 years and counting.

Freedom is awesome even after the newness wears off.

I have "admitted" being out of Christianity just in the last few months. I've seriously been on the journey since summer of 2011 but I'm totally able to look in the mirror now and I am comfortable saying, I'm not a Christian any more.

11 years since I stopped attending Church. 3 years since I totally lost belief in the spiritual.

It has nearly been seven years.... and I haven't regretted it

I just wished that other's could of followed me

Officially it's been 5 years now for me, though the doubts started earlier. None of my family know yet, though they must suspect. They keep hammering away with the religion, prayers, and blessings, on every email and converstation. Still not sure how to deal with parents and siblings on this issue.

I know it can't be easy to hear that bullshit all the time. Hopefully hanging out with us will help a little both with finding a safe place away from the indoctrination attempts and maybe to find a way to deal with the fam. :) Welcome to you and to all our new folks.

(That is an awesome username for a Canadian. Just saying.)

• 2 weeks later...

My first doubts came 14 years ago, but I only really gave it (Christanity and Islam) the full on finger 5 years ago. Freedom is ace but not without price - post religious trauma - I haz it!

My first doubts came 14 years ago, but I only really gave it (Christanity and Islam) the full on finger 5 years ago. Freedom is ace but not without price - post religious trauma - I haz it!

Welcome, Habiba! I'm glad that you have had the intestinal fortitude to give dogma the finger and enjoy freedom! :D

My doubts started over a year ago... As of this weekend I no longer call myself a Christian. I'm an agnostic now. That may develop into full blown atheism over time. But I'm just no comfortable with that title yet.

My doubts started over a year ago... As of this weekend I no longer call myself a Christian. I'm an agnostic now. That may develop into full blown atheism over time. But I'm just no comfortable with that title yet.

Agnosticism and atheism are completely compatible terms. Most find someone identifying as agnostic more approachable than an outspoken atheist. Welcome to a larger universe!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I was a "Christianish" until April 24, 1984.

Wow! It's been over 6 years now! Time flies.

Coming up on 5.5 years. Seems so much longer than that. I haven't looked back. Life is so much more fun now.

• Like 1

I fully acknowledged my agnosticism about 30 years ago now. But I would have to say that I first started questioning faith long before that, I just didn't realize the full implications at the time.

I have been thinking back on my journey as a professing Christian quite a bit since becoming active on this site as a result of seeing the several posts concerning one being really saved to begin with. I might actually be someone who was never truly "saved" in that I can't say that I really felt confidence in my salvation. I hoped that I was saved, but could never say I knew for sure. After many years of that I realized that I am agnostic and have been very comfortable with that since the day I walked away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't "in" until 3 years ago. Since those 3 years, it has been about a month and a half since I stopped believing.

It is kind of funny because I "gave my life to Christ" Easter 2010 and finally stopped believing for good soon after Easter this year,

I became officially agnostic about a week ago (so I'm a new member in all respects haha) , after much soul-searching and right slap-bang in the middle of my final exams for uni which probably isn't the best time to fully examine your existential crises but ho hum.

I've been out since near the end of September of 2011. That whole month was probably the worst stage of my deconversion with all of the doubts crushing my faith, knowing that nothing could be done to make those doubts go away. I did have an experience very similar to that a few months before, but somehow forced myself to "Have faith" like I was told until the doubts returned, with a vengeance.

• 1 month later...

September of last year, though you can say my faith has was rather moribund for some time before that.  Though it will soon be a year there is still significant fallout over my decision.

I began doubting sometime around 3 years ago and that doubt continued to increase the more time I spent in the military away from my religious environment back home. I stopped considering myself a Christian around 1.5-2 years ago but it wasn't until about a month or two ago that I decided to really find out where I stand presently and did some research on the internet (and read some of the posts here). I then realized I am an atheist. Life is looking brighter now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 months now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was never technically in to begin with, i was merely a regular visitor who almost joined my final attempt at church. That said, i've reached my 6 month milestone as of today. I refuse to let the siren song of religion suck me back in again.

• Like 1

It's good to see this thread still in existence after 7+ years! That makes me 9+ years out of Christianity and never once turned back.

• Like 1