Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

July 27, 2003. Came in a total sudden crash..have a thread posted on another board with the whole thing for all to see..I go and bump it once in a while..so it doesn't get lost.. :lmao:

Its a dead board now, all but a few posters go there.

Anyone wants to read it, pm me, I'll give ya the link.. :P

I'm not as secure as everyone else in the thread is...I'm still new to being a deconvert.

I've given up on Christianity because I don't agree with or believe it anymore...

And now I'm not sure what I believe insofar as which diety is out there. I still believe in concepts like: Karma, reincarnation, spirits, angels, and existence beyond this one...

But I'm also open to the possibility that there is nothing after life except oblivion.

I'm an aspiring writer and I love to imagine and believe...So maybe that is just a strong part of my personality?

I don't know. I am just in a phase of uncertainty right now and it is....for lack of a better term...weird. It's hard rejecting everything that you knew and thought was real your entire life.

I feel really sorry for my mom and family members because they really do believe it with all their hearts...They are such good people but have spent their lives in the religion.

I'm still a newbie to the dark side, only about a half year for me. It's quite an adjustmetn...

It's kinda like when people asked me how long I had been a christian. I don't know. It wasn't like there was a moment where BOOM and I all of the sudden changed what I believed. So in all honesty it has probably been several months, but who knows.

Like others here, losing Xianity was a process. It started for me when I was somewhere in my mid-20's. It was a gradual erosion until December of 2001.

A bad encounter with a fundie ex in 12/01 marked the end of my waffling about it. I took the red pill and haven't looked back since. So I guess I've been completely Xianity-free for over 4 years now.

I've sort of morphed a lot in that time period. The most recent change came after a minor altercation on another board with yet another fundy type; I slipped from being pantheistic pagan to being hard agnostic/soft atheist at that point, with a working hypothesis that god is a reflection of the individuals who believe in him/her/it/them.

Hmm, in thinking about this I've noticed that for me spiritual shifts and developments seem to follow a pattern - starting with initial doubt, then a period of looking around and theorizing and thinking and doubting and dithering and not being sure what to believe, then reaching an abrupt kind of moment where everything just sort of gels in one instant - and then it's all conscious and all undeniable.

Interestingly enough it seems like those undeniable lightning-strike moments have been triggered largely by fundie types.

Funny how that works.... :scratch:

I started doubting when I was 16 ('round 1999), but didn't actually deconvert from Christianity until around St. Paddy's Day 2004. The opening entry of my personal Grimoire has 3/17/04 on it, and begins with the text:

"I have come to the conclusion that my beliefs are more Pagan than Judeo-Christian..."

Started feeling a bit uncomfortable with the whole religion idea when I was 15, in 1999. I've officially been out of Christianity for six years.

all my life and still countin.

How did you remain free? Were you ever approached by someone who attempted to convert you? (I pity the poor fools... :grin: )

I hadn't been to church regularly for any length of time for about 15 years, and actively discounted elements of Christianity for even longer than that, but still considered myself a Chrisitian in the sense of believing and following the fundamental tenets. I only discovered it's all man-made last Christmas. Everything makes sense now. :)

Two years today!

:jesus:

that's somewhat odd. there wasn't a day when i woke up and said "i don't believe in jesus anymore." it was a slow process. it was about a year ago and took a few months.

I was excommunicated from the RCC in 1996 and spent the next year or so searching for another religion with some dogma.

I got sucked into a Fundy club for about a month, but my natural bullshit meter was off the scale for most of that time, so after the initial emotional conversion wore off (2 days), I was just killing time.

I went church-free, but considered myself Catholic (despite them considering me hellbound) until August 28, 2002 and yes, I literally went to bed believing and got up an atheist.

I didn't sleep at all and it was one of the worst nights of my life, but I wouldn't trade the truth for anything now.

I started doubting when I was six. if Santa was made up, couldn't these other guys be made up too? I began to think of myself as an atheist in seventh grade. That would be thirty-four years ago.

I don't remember when I stopped being a Christian/Catholic, but I do remember that around this time last year I officially decided I was an Atheist. Weak Atheist would probably best describe where I am today. Last March I had a problem with thinking there is no Heaven and Hell. It was absolutely terrifying. Didn't read history or study other religions. Just studied philosophy. 1 YEAR!!!! :clap:

Nivek, you were in the Assemblies of God? They're the ones who made those Hell Houses. Did you ever participate in one of those? If not, see the movie. Incredible.

I stopped at about 18, maybe 19. I remember asking my then-boyfriend if he was Christian, pressing him to say "yes". I felt bad about it later, but now I don't because he was an asshole and deserved it.

Nivek, you were in the Assemblies of God? They're the ones who made those Hell Houses. Did you ever participate in one of those? If not, see the movie. Incredible.

I stopped at about 18, maybe 19. I remember asking my then-boyfriend if he was Christian, pressing him to say "yes". I felt bad about it later, but now I don't because he was an asshole and deserved it.

Makes me think about the asshole that got me wrapped up in Non-demon. I wish I could track him down and rip him apart for making me feel like shit. Apparently I was not Christian enough for his exclusive fucking cult. All I ask is for his addres so I can write a 15 page letter. I would start it off with "do you believe you are a good person..."

Lessee...carry the 1... :scratch:

I guess about 12-13 years. For the first few years I was in kind of a spiritual fog where I still kind of believed but had no faith, so if you count that it's more like 15 years.

However, I've only been a card-carrying atheist for about 4 years.

I can honestly say I've never felt better in my whole life. :woohoo: Nuts to Jebus!

well i deconverted when i was 19.. from 19-21 i was in kind of a agnostic, leaning towards atheist, phase.. ever since i turned 22 i kind of solidified my beliefs, i am 23 now. so a hardcore athiest for about a year

Two years today!

:jesus:

that's somewhat odd. there wasn't a day when i woke up and said "i don't believe in jesus anymore." it was a slow process. it was about a year ago and took a few months.

Did you read what I wrote on page 2? I consciously came to a descision one day that I no longer believed in Jesus and Christianity after studying for 2 1/2 months. Why is it so odd that I remember the day? I remember the day I became a Christian also, it happened to be on the same day 13 years prior, now that is odd if you ask me. Both were life changing experiences for me and dates are something I remember.

Technically I was never a christian....*hehe* my parents didn't get around to organising the Seven Day Adventist baptism which usually occurs around 14 yrs? (I think)

but nah..I left it all behind around 30 odd years ago......

until my sibling decides to go off with the foo foo bumnuts christian group and tackles me head long in a mind lock about 8 years ago now...I didn't hang around long there either...that old 'i hate church' feeling wouldn't go away.

So....there's ample proof that the ol' chrisitan message doesn't stick - with or without the required dunking.

Like I've mentioned on this site before ...I 'received' the spirit alright...but it was dark sided :HaHa: Yeah....heard all about satan, guilt and all that shit!

I had been a doubter off and on for years growing up as an xian. I went from fundy to liberal over the years. The end of November, 2004, I finally admitted to myself and to my husband that I didn't believe any more. My husband, fortunately, is very supportive! So, it's been a year and four months....

Like I've mentioned on this site before ...I 'received' the spirit alright...but it was dark sided :HaHa: Yeah....heard all about satan, guilt and all that shit!

Hee hee - they don't call it the 'Good News' for nothing!

"Guess what? You're evil and God's gonna kill you! Satan wants to eat your soul! Jebus is your only chance - bathe in his blood!" :eek::twitch:

Heh. Whole lotta ex-A of G's here. Over 14 years Christ-cult free now. When I was sixteen, a "friend" tried to cast the "demon of pride" out of me at a prayer meeting (I had whooped his ass in tennis the day before and teased him about it). I was already starting to question the faith I had been raised in and being told I was demon posessed was the final straw. The fact that everyone in the room agreed with him was enough evidence for me that the followers of this faith were too stupid for me to ever want to sit in the same room with again. For awhile, my mother was crushed that I rejected the religion she raised me in, but in time (i.e. when she went to college to complete her education in her late 40's) her mind was opened and she no longer was a Christ-cult follower either. Every member of my immediate family was once a dedicated A of G cultist and has since rejected their beliefs in favor of thinking for themself. For all of the claims of family values, my family became closer and more loving once the burden of religion was off our backs. Casting aside the cross of religion and following the messiah who is freedom of thought is the true path to salvation.

Another ex-Assemblies of God Christian here.

~I've been an ex-Christian for almost 4 years now.