Goodbye Jesus

Oldie-newie

Emme

Hi!

I've been gone for a while but now I'm back. Sassy swede who left religion at 13 but it's still in my life as I work at a christian work place and my family is religious. I'm not angry at Christianity anymore but it's in my life and I have to deal with it. Hopefully you can help me!

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, Emme said:

Hi!

I've been gone for a while but now I'm back. Sassy swede who left religion at 13 but it's still in my life as I work at a christian work place and my family is religious. I'm not angry at Christianity anymore but it's in my life and I have to deal with it. Hopefully you can help me!

Good afternoon @Emme

xianity is very much a part of my ex-c life as well.

-I own a small business.  I’ve stopped serving god and now serving my clients is my new religion.  I’m not about to scare them all off with my views.

-my kids have good friends.  I value their friendships more than any mythology.  I’m not about to get my kids blacklisted from birthday parties b/c of my views.

-I stay mostly in the closet about religious views, not because of fear but because I have higher priorities.  Plus, we can come here and perhaps a few other obscure places to check in with reality and stay sane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, @Emme.

If by "help" you mean ensure that you are not alone and, occasionally, provide marginal advice on how to deal with the fundy's then, yeah, we can do that.

I am an official member of the Unequally Yoked Club who has come out but still attends on Sundays because Mrs. MOHO has asked me to. I don't go into the sanctuary and, instead, guard the door and patrol the parking lot/neighboring area for bums and active tweakers.

I have to deal with Mrs. MOHO's religious addiction one moment then slink off to my home office or guest room, where I crash, and read Ehrman, Dawkins, Hitchens et al on my Kindle the next. Yes, grape juice helps tremendously with this daily regimen. The fact that the Mrs imbibes as well is also a huge help and makes the situation tolerable.

We have a business (I work in IT management) but also live in a Christian community so I have to careful not to pis people off. I have had some degree of success here. The formula is that when subjected to "bless you", "god be with you", "can't you just FEEL the lord", or my fave "I prayed for you/it/them/this/that/the other thing and X happened!!!", I just keep my mouth shut and walk away.

I know this will not always work and, upon occasion you/I may have to whip out our knowledge of theology in rebuttal. Don't expect any positive progress as a direct result but, sometimes I just have to give back. You know?

Welcome to the forum and,  as @padgemi says, it's good to be able to come here and get some exposure to sanity.

• Like 2

EMME!!!!!

Door is always open :)  VERY pleased to find your name and post again!

As usual we're here to do what might and can be done. **I** am so pleased to have you choose to post here at ExC.

kevinL

• Like 2

Welcome back Emme!

Most of us are still surrounded by christianity so pull up a chair and we can all help each other!

(hug)

• Like 2