Goodbye Jesus

The Institution of Marriage

So I've been hearing a lot about the institution and sanctity of marriage lately.  Even though in the Old Testament men had multiple wives and concubines, Christians still believe that marriage is only between one man and one woman.  This is an old argument.  One I never hear is that the Apostle Paul lamented that men could not be more like him, that is celibate, and stops just short of admonishing men for having sexual desires at all.  Paul only allows for marriage for those men who can't control their urges, in which case it's better for them to marry rather than just having sex with whomever they fancy.  SO, according to Paul, marriage is basically for the weak.

Another thing I hear along the same lines is how to look upon a woman with lust is committing adultery in your heart, which is just as bad as physical adultery.  I watch religious television, and some of the larger churches allow for pastor's wives to preach as well some weeks.  Almost invariably these women are pretty attractive.  Why didn't these preachers marry plain or homely women?  Did they sin by finding a woman attractive?  Should they be held accountable for marrying women that turn them on?  Furthermore, borrowing from the above, should they be talking about how strong in God they are when they can't live up to Paul's standard?

1989, the Bible is only sacred to those that believe it is sacred. The bible is literature not history. It is only authoritative for those that allow it to be. The truth is that it is a collection of ancient mythical stories. No historical Jesus or Paul has ever been found. The laws, rules, & customs found in the Bible are based on various ancient civilizations beliefs & traditions.

What the bible & Paul says about anything should not influence people who are not believers. And that is true for a lot of stuff Jesus supposedly said too.

• Thanks 1

I realize that the Bible only applies to Christians, but their standards affect us all in one way or another, particularly here in the Bible Belt.  However, there's the base hypocrisy Christians have in this regard that I thought was interesting enough to share an opinion on.  If I inferred that the examples set forth by Paul apply to everyone, it was a mistake on my part; I certainly don't believe in these things and don't expect any non-Christian to be beholden to them either.

If your point is that both the Bible & Christians are inconsistent & contradictive in their actions, beliefs, & teaching then I agree.  

• Like 1

God had to talk to people in ways they could understand so, you know, he couldn't just tell them to not marry a bunch of women all at once.  They wouldn't go for that.  It would be too much to take.  Just like giving up slaves.  So he says to the ones way back that they can have a bunch of wives and then fewer and fewer until they're down to one wife then Paul says maybe none unless you really gotta get some.  See?  God is super smart.  Ween dudes off the wives. 

Oh, and god just said "Cut your dick off."  No weening the weenies.  So god sometimes doesn't give a shit.  What do you care?  Ain't got no women.

And the slaves?  Well, he forgot about that.  Slaves forever baby.

mwc

Marriage is for those who are too weak for celibacy.

God loves old virgins.

You might even get to marry Jesus someday.

Somehow it will magically be totally not gay.