Goodbye Jesus

A beautiful scene from a movie, talking to a child about God

Insightful

My wife and I watched a sweet movie last night called Gifted.  It’s the story of a 7 year-old little girl (Mary) who is extremely bright, particularly in math.  Because of her mother’s suicide, she is being raised by her uncle (Frank).  Much of the movie focuses on their unique relationship, his doubts about being able to be everything she needs, and a custody battle that ensues.

There is a really beautiful scene where she is sitting up on his shoulders while the sun is setting in front of them.  They are primarily silhouettes because of the backlighting.  And they have this exchange:

[Mary]  “Is there a God?”

[Frank]  “I don't know.”

[Mary]  “Just tell me.”

[Frank]  “I would if I could. 

But I don't know. Neither does anybody

else.”

[Mary]  “Roberta knows.”

[Frank]  “No. Roberta has faith...

and that's a great thing to have.

But faith's about what you think, feel.

Not what you know.”

[Mary]  “What about Jesus?”

[Frank]  “Love that guy. Do what he says.”

[Mary]  “But is he God?”

[Frank]  “I don't know.

I have an opinion.

But that's my opinion and

I could be wrong.

So why would I screw up yours?

Use your head.

But don't be afraid to believe in things

either.”

“Tell you what though.

We all end up back together at the end.

That's what you're asking, right?”

[Mary]  “Yep.”

[Frank]  “Okay. 

Find something else to worry about, will ya?”

Why I love this exchange:  I think Frank did an amazing job of helping her to think about these issues clearly – teaching her to differentiate between belief and knowledge.  I love that he didn’t rip on Roberta’s faith, but also made it clear that Roberta doesn’t KNOW. 

He displayed a lot of humility, too, by not forcing his opinions on her but leaving space for her own journey and discovery.   I love that he tells her “use your head” but also balances that with “but don’t be afraid to believe in things either”.

He finds the root of her question - the fear of being separated from loved ones – then comforts her in a general, appropriate-for-a-seven-year-old way “we all end up back together at the end”.  He’s not overpromising either – he doesn’t paint a lofty picture of a conscious eternal bliss.  Maybe it’s just that our molecules coalesce again in the same universe…

And then, I love that he tells her: “find something else to worry about, will ya?”  He’s helping a kid focus on… being a kid.

It’s so sad how fundamentalist beliefs force children to contemplate loved ones burning in hell and obsessing about superstitious ideas.

What’s particularly beautiful about the scene is how understated the whole thing is.  It’s casual, tender, and compassionate.  By staying not-too-serious, he avoids unwittingly affirming her anxiety. 

I think it resonated with me because it’s such a beautiful and perfect way (IMHO) to talk to a younger child about God and eternity as an agnostic married to a believer…  Exactly the tone and balance I want to strike with my kiddos…  I thoroughly enjoyed it and wanted to share!

• Like 3

That's a good movie. My wife and I watched it a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

I LOVE THIS!!! I am just about to post a topic about how to handle things with my kiddos. This is very inspiring. Thank you!

• Like 1

Minor correction: She wasn't on his shoulders during this specific scene.

Anyway, here's a clip of it:

• Like 1