Goodbye Jesus

Codependence

ExTeknon

I am new to this forum and in tbe process of separating from Christianity, so my question msy seem a little simplistic. 

To me, Christianity now seems like classic codependency. We lowly sinful humans can't do anything without God, and God needs us to worship & glorify Him. So the Bible continues to remind us that we sin all day every day to keep us dependent on a God.

Thoughts?

Successfully separating from Christianity requires education, study, & research. It is simply not enough to tell someone the Bible is not literally or historically true. 

A Yale University Professor of religion told her class the Bible is literature not  history. It must be read, understood, & interpreted as literature to understand it. Another Bible scholar said the Bible must be viewed as a collection of book length parables. 

What they both are saying is that the Bible isn't true. It's basically a collection of fictional stories with fictional characters. Historians have never found a historical Jesus. The only place Jesus has ever been found is in the gospels. There is no evidence any such person ever existed in the flesh. The same is true for the Apostle Paul. His missionary journeys appear to be nothing more than fictional stories.

I realize that is a lot to hit a person with that's in the early stages of leaving their faith. I realize Christians believe the Bible is true & factually accurate, but it isn't and that's the big secret the Church doesn't want people to know for obvious reasons.

Bart Ehrman would be a good religious historian to read or to watch his YouTube videos. There is a lot of good information on this site too. Read & ask questions. 

Oh yeah, welcome aboard. I'm glad you found us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe “codependence” refers mainly to the person who is in a relationship with a person who is “dependent” on alcohol, drugs, or any other addictive, destructive substance or behavior (also addictive gambling). 

Codependent behavior manifests in controlling behavior in an attempt to help or manage the alcoholic/drug-addict/etc and develops into destructive behavior itself sometimes worse than the dependant themself. 

I am currently working through a classic book on codependent behavior right now. 

I believe many people are using this term incorrectly, I know I was. 

It makes finding help easier when the terminology is correct. 

I may be missing a wider, current usage of the term though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But yes you are correct about the reinforcement of how helpless one is...

the thing no one mentions in church is just how “helpless” people are even with god.  Church people are not noticably different in their behaviors imo. 

If anything, their repressed state breaks out in other worse ways. 

We are human and we are going to always have human tendencies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Jeff's definition of "codependence"

But JehovahJesus does, in many ways, fit the description of a profoundly dysfunctional parent or spouse.

- He can be infinitely cruel to anyone who doesn't believe him

- He commands his followers to kill people, even little children

- He is obsessively controlling even about trivial things

- He discriminates against women solely because of their gender

- He tells his followers that he will do extraordinary things for them if they just obey him, but when they ask (prayer), he doesn't

- He is so arbitrary and his commands so self-contradictory that even his most devoted followers can't agree on what he wants them to do (which is why we have Protestants, Catholics, etc)

- etc

• Like 4

Echoing R_Collins, the Bible god fits the classic narcissist and psychotic definitions, and will show "love" but only to make people grovel more and have a reason to accuse them of violating his love.

"Look at all the things I do for you and you STILL went and ate the damn fruit! I ought to kill you right now just to show the angels who's boss. But I'm merciful, so instead you get to live a very long life filled with suffering because of what you did to me. Every day you will be reminded of what a shit you are, and that you NEED me. You are nothing without me."

His character comes out in full horror in the book of Job. And Job's response is exactly what he wants. Here's a link to an article I wrote years ago on this nature of the Bible god:

The God of Abuse

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Fuego, I read your article "The God Of Abuse". It is very insightful. Thank you for all of the hard work and thought that you put into writing it!!