Goodbye Jesus

psychotherapist saying hello!

Contemplation

Hello folks,

I wanted to say hello. I'm a licensed psychotherapist in Toronto, Canada who has a special interest in working with ex-members of conservative or fundamentalist religious groups. I have a practice in Toronto, and I also do online or phone sessions with people who live in rural areas, or people in other cities who would like to work with me. I wont say too much about that here,  but feel free to send me a message if you have any interest or questions about that.

I got into this work because of my own experience growing up in a very dogmatic religious community. At the same time, I went to a "secular" school and ended up befriending a lot of non-religious kids. What resulted was a very split life, between my ultra conservative culture and my liberal education and social groups. I was utterly split and confused. I ended up with pretty severe depression, as well as a whole lot of other issues around identity and personal meaning to work through. It took a long time to really get to know who I really am, what I find meaningful, and how I want to live my life. In my experience, it's a process that takes a lot of time and care and support, and it really can't be rushed.

I'm looking forward to reading your stories and getting to know some of you.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Welcome!

I fear you may find you really have your work cut out for you here! :P

Welcome Contemplation

You have a rewarding and important vocation.... possibly one that will grow as more people start (hopefully) realizing religion for what it is.

Looking forward to seeing your posts here.

LF

On 11/19/2017 at 8:41 PM, Contemplation said:

I wanted to say hello. 

in Toronto, Canada who has a special interest in working with ex-members of conservative or fundamentalist

Hello fellow Canadian! And welcome to Ex-c!  Thank you so much for sharing some of your story. Looking forward to hearing more from you! 

Glad you found us!

I hope you stick around.  I think you will learn a lot.

Hi Contemplation.

So in Canada I can be a Psycho, and a therapist?  I may have finally found my calling! :)