Goodbye Jesus

Flat Earther building own rockets

mwc

His first test of the rocket will also be the launch date — Saturday , when he straps into his homemade contraption and attempts to hurtle over the ghost town of Amboy, California. He will travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

The daredevil/limo driver has been called a little bit of everything over his career — eccentric, quirky, foolhardy. Doesn’t bother him. He believes what he believes, including that the Earth is flat. He knows this thought is a conundrum, given that he’s about to launch himself into the atmosphere.

Down the road, he’s intending to build a rocket that takes him to space, so he can snap a picture and see with his own eyes.

“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

AP

Looks like he's come up with a method in order to test things out now if only he could come up with a catchy name for this method?  Maybe the Hughes Method seeing how he's the first?  I like it.

I hope he doesn't go too high and accidentally poke a hole in the dome in the sky.  That could let all the air out and possibly cause another flood.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mwc said:

“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes

That should be enough to provoke those around him to take measures to protect society from him and anyone else who truly feels that way.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
22 minutes ago, mwc said:

“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.

Pure gold.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Take a picture? You can see it live on the International Space Stations live youtube feed!

The guy is obviously intelligent if he can build his own rocket... what then is it that causes people to believe ridiculous stuff against all evidence? The answer is not  that they are unintelligent so what is it?

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The answer is not  that they are unintelligent so what is it?

Crazy.

2 hours ago, florduh said:

Crazy.

Hmm so intelligent and crazy are not mutually exclusive?

I suppose not - Newton believed in alchemy!

And what this is, purely and simply, is a clinical psychotic reaction. They are crazy. They are stone. Cold. Fuck. Nuts. I can't be kind about this, because these people are watching The Flinstones as if it were a documentary. - Lewis Black

5 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The guy is obviously intelligent if he can build his own rocket...

By Saturday evening we'll know for sure, depending on whether he survives the trip or not.

• Haha 1

Nutter.

Oh no, it's delayed.

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to "prove" that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to do so on public land.

Hughes made other pitches, including a plan to fly over Texas in a “SkyLimo.” But he complained to Ars Technica last year about the difficulty of funding his dreams on a chauffeur’s meager salary.

A year later, he called into a flat-Earth community Web show to announce that he had become a recent convert.

“We were kind of looking for new sponsors for this. And I’m a believer in the flat Earth,” Hughes said. “I researched it for several months.”

The host sounded impressed. Hughes had actually flown in a rocket, he noted, whereas astronauts were merely paid actors performing in front of a CGI globe. “John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,” Hughes agreed. “Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception.”

The host talked of “Elon Musk’s fake reality,” and Hughes talked of “anti-Christ, Illuminati stuff.” After half an hour of this, the host told his 300-some listeners to back Hughes’s exploration of space.

Kind of reads like "Limo driver 'converts' to flat-eartherism -- gets suckers to fund idiot rocket idea."

mwc

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2017 at 12:55 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

Take a picture? You can see it live on the International Space Stations live youtube feed!

The guy is obviously intelligent if he can build his own rocket... what then is it that causes people to believe ridiculous stuff against all evidence? The answer is not  that they are unintelligent so what is it?

Maybe he's good with details and not big picture? Forest for the trees. :shrug: 

On 11/24/2017 at 5:28 PM, mwc said:

Kind of reads like "Limo driver 'converts' to flat-eartherism -- gets suckers to fund idiot rocket idea."

I wondered about that myself when I first heard about this and the funding scenario. It's still funny, though.

• Haha 1

Perhaps he's trying for a Darwin Award.

• Haha 1

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Atmosflat.

Hmm... I learned a new word today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh my God atmosflat... of course. What else could they call it if the Earth isn't a sphere?

Part of me wants to see this nutjob succeed, though I wonder if he's the type who'll be honest with his discovery-should it ever get that far.

Any curvature visible?

That vid is clearly a fake.  More fake than, oh I don't know...New Zealand!

mwc

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mwc said:

That vid is clearly a fake.  More fake than, oh I don't know...New Zealand!

mwc

Looky... we already have one level 100 Edge Lord troller here..... stop trying to compete with him :P 

17 minutes ago, bornagainathiest said:

Any curvature visible?

Flat earthers would say he is using a fish eye lens which makes flat lines appear curved.

If every flat earth person everywhere did this, and if they all were perfectly in the center of the ‘disc’, what would that mean???

Hmm