Goodbye Jesus

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

I feel like I am breaking into someone else's clubhouse by registering on this site as I am a Christian and not looking to deconvert. My friend is now an atheist and wanted me to come here so as not to be insulated by Christians and Deists. I don't really know what to talk about, so the first thing that came to mind is which behaviors of Christians are most annoying to atheists? How can Christians be less objectionable? 

Welcome to the site.  I'll tell you right off you're probably in the wrong section of the site.  This area is not highly moderated and can be rough.  You might want to try the rants section (even though it sounds worse than this one).

The short answer to your question, for me, is evangelism in its many forms.

mwc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PennySerenade said:

I feel like I am breaking into someone else's clubhouse by registering on this site as I am a Christian and not looking to deconvert. My friend is now an atheist and wanted me to come here so as not to be insulated by Christians and Deists. I don't really know what to talk about, so the first thing that came to mind is which behaviors of Christians are most annoying to atheists? How can Christians be less objectionable? 

Welcome Penny

You and I have already started an exchange so you are off to a great start.

Browse the topics primarily in the Lions Den, Christian Theological Issues if you are wanting to respond to our conversations about religion. You can even start your own topics, ask us why we don't believe in God etc.

However be prepared, you may find material on this site, or ways of thinking that will severely challenge your beliefs. There are a number of Christians who frequent this site - @ironhorse and @end3 are the two regulars who we engage with. We generally try and be polite, but we hit hard... very hard.

As far as breaking into the clubhouse - no we welcome Christians to debate with us. The only thing I wouldn't like is if a Christian then cried that we were challenging their beliefs.

Regarding the top section around Rants and replies - be aware that certain sections have restrictions on the content that Christians can post. So while we don't mind you going into the Lion's Den and proclaiming we are all going to hell, doing so in Testimonies, Introductions, or Ex-Christian life will cop you a warning, and if you persist, a ban. Those areas are for de converting Christians to share without having Christians preaching at them.

If after some time you feel you are ready for formal debate there is the Arena and Coliseum where you may challenge a member to debate over a specific topic.

As to how can Christians be less objectionable? Stop trying to put your bronze age biblical belief's into law! Keep state and religion separate. I don't care what you believe as long as you don't try and force it on me. (This is not directed at you personally... but it is an annoying thing Christians do)

Oh and what mwc said about Totally of Topic - this is the place where dung gets thrown about at Ex C. Thick skin and willing to kick a poster in the nuts is necessary to survival in here :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PennySerenade said:

I'm not an atheist but if you want to hear my answer: The combination of 1. assuming the Christian view of "truth" is the only valid one, and 2. the desire to convert everyone else. The one or the other can be bearable, but the combo is what (to me) makes it obnoxious.

Quite a few will now probably want to point out the frequently-encountered holier-than-thou arrogance, habitual use of lies, and the reality denial of fanatic Christians, but arguably, I think these derive from the above-mentioned root causes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PennySerenade said:

Watching them pray for things that you know they couldn't be screwed with.

Nah you're welcome on the site as others said. 

Annoying behaviors? Currently I'm the most bothered by them telling me that their god did what I did. Like when there's success with a project, especially if there was a random coincidence that somehow made things better. Or when I avoid car crashes.

Oh, and childhood indoctrination that makes children fear hell and demons, and pray with tears in their eyes for people who aren't "saved". There are so many healthier ways to teach kids about caring for the well-being of loved ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Haha 3

Hi, Penny. I think it's cool of you to sign up because your friend asked you to, that's already way more decent of you than some friend responses many of us have experienced. Of course if it's your "wink wink" friend, we're cool with that too. Only god knows, right? :P

Frankly, it took me losing my faith to realize how completely uneducated I was on what it is atheists actually believe. Like I thought I knew, but I just....didn't. So any "christian OWNS atheist" videos were always powerful to me because I believed the content of the video. Any atheist watching it just laughs at the complete lack of understanding on topics like objective morality, the history of the bible, the history of the church, science (in general). I encourage you to really educate yourself on where we're actually coming from before you attempt to evangelize, many of us used to spout the SAME STUFF you will be tempted to tell us. We're just over it. It's SO ANNOYING to have scripture spouted at us when it's literally more myth than anything else. It's SO ANNOYING to be talked down to as though "we've just yet to understand how god feels about suffering, but...we'll get there." It's SO ANNOYING to be evangelized to as though we don't know where you're coming from, when you in fact don't know where we're coming from. So yeah, we've already heard all your beliefs. Sit back and take it all in for a bit, listen to what we have to say.

Also, what @yunea said.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For me:

1. Assuming we deconverted because we are mad at the church, because someone hurt us, etc... We aren't so shallow and these assumptions are insults to our characters. 

2. Be pro war and nationalistic. 

On the other hand, if you guys take James seriously in terms of how he defines true religion, you're cool with me. I don't care if we don't believe the same things. As long as you're loving and want to help others we agree on a human level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hey, @PennySerenade,

Are you asking this question in  hopes of re-packaging xianity to make it more palatable?

What irks me the most about xtians behavior is when they quote or paraphrase the Bible in a discussion and then strut about like peacocks because no one can counter THAT argument. Of course they would FIRST have to prove that there is a modicum of truth or accuracy to anything in the Bible.

Second up is when they act as though they have complete and utter control and authority over me because they "have the authority of Jesus and/or God, behind them. Of course THAT is the what all religions were invented to accomplish in the first place.

Finally when someone rants about finding a parking place at the mall because they just preyed for one and God found them one. Of course God stopped ignoring all of those starving children in Africa for a moment to find said pious, deluded, self-centered, individual a parking spot. :49:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, PennySerenade said:

Hello PennySerenade.

I'm not annoyed by this but I do think it's a great shame when Christians fail to keep their word.

A Christian member of this forum called Ironhorse is currently trying to avoid keeping his word.

This thread explains it.  http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/77981-please-remind-ironhorse-to-keep-his-word/?tab=comments#comment-1161095

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome to Ex-C. No, you don't have to be an Ex to hang out.

Annoying Christian behavior? Generally anything under the umbrella of insisting (sometimes through force of law) that non-Christians comply with their religious beliefs. This would include efforts to teach Creationism as science rather than religion and Christian morality legislation.

I could care less what people do on their own dime and time. Pray over dinner, I'll be respectful. Invite me to church, I'll politely decline. Tell me gays are going to Hell or insist the Lord's Prayer open our city council meeting, we have a problem. And please stop promoting the lie about how you're so persecuted; for example, there is no war on Christmas so just stop it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, florduh said:

Welcome to Ex-C. No, you don't have to be an Ex to hang out.

Annoying Christian behavior? Generally anything under the umbrella of insisting (sometimes through force of law) that non-Christians comply with their religious beliefs. This would include efforts to teach Creationism as science rather than religion and Christian morality legislation.

I could care less what people do on their own dime and time. Pray over dinner, I'll be respectful. Invite me to church, I'll politely decline. Tell me gays are going to Hell or insist the Lord's Prayer open our city council meeting, we have a problem. And please stop promoting the lie about how you're so persecuted; for example, there is no war on Christmas so just stop it.

The persecuted one is pretty rich. As someone who actively believed the world was persecuting me as a Christian and now, as a non-religious person in the Bible Belt in USA, I can tell you EVERYONE hates the resident atheist. Even if most people don't go to church every Sunday or believe in fundamental Christianity, don't challenge the subjective idea of "god" or you're evil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Penny,

I'm going to have to put my six and a half Outer Srbishastankovik Zoltoys into pot.  (>.002us cents)

Fucking religious folks preaching and pretending that "SEX IS A SIN!!!!!!".  That with all the lack of life that goes with not being able to dress as one wants, hang with who you'd prefer,  date a favorite list of possibles, being told that "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!", use your dime and time as yours. 

Sex. Not being able to fool around and play as kids experimenting. Dating when ready. having someone else's moral code jammed down your undies as a chastity belt. Forbidden in many cases to make decisions with whom, how many, often, when and when. Being shamed as a female when that lil flap of vestigial skin breaks before your MAN takes your virginity...
Told that women are to be pure and clean while we men get to fuck around and that be ignored or covered up when they did what hard cocks little heads cause big heads to seize up.

Seriously, being told as a kid at home in sunday (Pick a day!) classes youth groups pastoral counselling that you exploring how good your body feels when it is self explored or touched by an other or others IS B A D.

Nothing fucks up a good religious kid when  he or she reads some good science fiction and discovers the Big O about same time.

Do I espouse kids being taught to jack or jill off at any opportunity? Nahh, do let them know what might be considered private best done when others won't be so damn offended.

kevinL

• Like 2

On 11/29/2017 at 6:39 AM, primaryzero said:

Oh man. I lived in this stage for the longest time, the "cool" one with the "great sense of humor" who was sarcastic and funny and joking about all the horseshit Christians do. I wouldn't be surprised if, in his quest for authenticity in his faith, he ends up deconverting. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Oh man. I lived in this stage for the longest time, the "cool" one with the "great sense of humor" who was sarcastic and funny and joking about all the horseshit Christians do. I wouldn't be surprised if, in his quest for authenticity in his face, he ends up deconverting. 

Are you saying this YouTubion is a Christian? What are you saying exactly, damn my Homer brain.

19 hours ago, PennySerenade said:

How about hypocrisy?

That is, Christians saying one thing, but doing another.  Claiming to hold to a certain standard, but living by another.  

Such as Christians saying that no evidence would shake their faith, but living their lives by evidence.

Every day heeding the evidence of their eyes and ears, but then rejecting any evidence that would falsify their faith.

This hypocritical double standard is quite objectionable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bornagainathiest said:

How about hypocrisy?

That is, Christians saying one thing, but doing another.  Claiming to hold to a certain standard, but living by another.  

Such as Christians saying that no evidence would shake their faith, but living their lives by evidence.

Every day heeding the evidence of their eyes and ears, but then rejecting any evidence that would falsify their faith.

This hypocritical double standard is quite objectionable.

Aye aye, simultaneously upholding the science that says the world is spheroid and gravity exists, while rejecting the science that says the earth is 4.5 billion years old, and evolution is fact all because of some interpretation of the bible that runs against these facts. I am of course referring to creationists.... like my dear parents. And worse, saying these things are a conspiracy to destroy Christianity. How low do they have to go?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

Are you saying this YouTubion is a Christian? What are you saying exactly, damn my Homer brain.

Lol yes, that's my understanding. He may have renounced his faith, but I know he was when he made some of these videos. Mind blowing, right?

1 minute ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Lol yes, that's my understanding. He may have renounced his faith, but I know he was when he made some of these videos. Mind blowing, right?

He's very creative, but at least he understands the Christian condition.

1 minute ago, primaryzero said:

He's very creative, but at least he understands the Christian condition.

It can't be long now. :D

The short answer is that most of us don't want to talk about God or your Faith, or our lack of it in most cases. That's pretty much it. Any other normal topic of conversation is fine.

We don't want to talk about God for the same reason you probably don't talk about whether Santa Claus or Unicorns are real with other adults. Atheists don't hate god for the same reason adult Christians don't hate Santa for not bringing them a toy they wanted when they were six. This is hard for a lot of Christians to get their heads around.

A lot of us don't like the church and some of the ideals it promotes, or what the idea of God enables some people to do, but we don't hate God for the same reason we don't hate Darth Vader for cutting off Luke's hand in the Empire Strike's Back.

We definitely don't want to have constant arguments about it and spend very little time thinking about it. Again, for pretty much the exact same reason most people don't spend time thinking about elves, what elves might think about what they're doing, or whether elves helped them find their lost keys. Again, this is another things some Christians can't quite get their heads around. Atheists don't spend a lot of time thinking about the idea that there is no God any more than any other person thinks about the idea that there is no Superman.

Christians don't generally have to defend their beliefs. They are pretty much accepted at face value. Atheists, if they are known to be atheists, are constantly having to defend their beliefs in conversation. Its exhausting and annoying.

Many Christians think that they do, it's what they are often told from the pulpit, but most people don't really care to argue with you about it as long as you accept the idea that "Jesus is God". Atheism is another matter entirely.

At the end of the day, your friend will be fine talking about pretty much anything but God. We don't even care if you mention God in passing such as "I thank God for that", or say something like "Bless you" when someone sneezes, or "Merry Christmas" as a greeting around the holidays. Most of us just accept those as expressions, and don't really put any more thought into it than that, and generally don't want the conversation on the subject to go any deeper than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mwc said:

Welcome to the site.  I'll tell you right off you're probably in the wrong section of the site.  This area is not highly moderated and can be rough.  You might want to try the rants section (even though it sounds worse than this one).

The short answer to your question, for me, is evangelism in its many forms.

mwc

Thanks for the warning and your answer. I thought this was the most benign subforum, and I don't really want to debate- so I thought this would be the best place to post.

Thanks for telling me that evangelism is objectionable to you. 

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

Thanks for telling me that evangelism is objectionable to you. 

Well, duh. Would you enjoy constant "invitations" to experience the wonders of Islam or the joys of Scientology?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1