PennySerenade

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

On 12/7/2017 at 3:41 PM, PennySerenade said:

I think people can choose what to believe, actually. 

Perhaps irrational people can. For those of us who are rational, though, there is simply no way to choose to believe something that is demonstrably false. We cannot do it. It is not and cannot be a choice.

• Like 3

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
On 12/9/2017 at 12:31 AM, Vigile said:

See, in my mind, that makes god an abuser. He demands I believe in him and all that entails (worship, etc...) or I will be subjected to horrific punishment. In human law, this is called extortion and we send people to prison for it. Real love is freely given. The kind of love god demands comes under the veil of threat. Christians like to say he gives people a choice, but this isn't a real choice just like Vito Corleone didn't give the movie producer a real choice when he put a gun to his head and told him to sign a contract. 

You might even argue that you've freely chosen, but you still are left to contend with the rest of us who are not given that free choice and that speaks directly to the character of your god. 

Not only does Christianity teach that God demands that you believe in him, but it has him demanding your belief without evidence and despite contrary evidence. He hides himself from you and allows everything in life to make it appear that he's not for real, and then will only prove himself to you at the final judgement, at which time it's too late to believe in him. You're doomed. (At least according to the Bible; I recognize that evidently PennySerenade holds an alternate unbiblical perspective of eventual universal salvation.)

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 6:21 AM, PennySerenade said:

I did not say Christianity was logical. 

On 12/7/2017 at 6:38 AM, PennySerenade said:

I agree it is absurd and illogical and dumb. Why do I believe it? I believe it is true. 

I can not give you any proofs or satisfactory answers. 

On 12/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, PennySerenade said:

Sure, it is nonsense. I know the implication. I believe in something completely absurd, dumb, and illogical. 

I'm curious here. Are you actually admitting that even you yourself recognize that Christianity really is absurd, illogical, dumb nonsense? Or are you instead just acknowledging that it appears as such to other people (along the lines of 1 Corinthians 1:18-25)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Citsonga said:

I'm curious here. Are you actually admitting that even you yourself recognize that Christianity really is absurd, illogical, dumb nonsense? Or are you instead acknowledging that it appears as such to other people (along the lines of 1 Corinthians 1:18-25)?

If she says it's the latter she's full of it because she's repeatedly said that she can't justify, defend, explain, or rationalize her beliefs. That ship sailed several pages ago.

11 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

If she says it's the latter she's full of it because she's repeatedly said that she can't justify, defend, explain, or rationalize her beliefs. That ship sailed several pages ago.

Yeah, but it's difficult to grasp the thought processes of such an irrational person, so what she actually means may be up in the air.

2 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Yeah, but it's difficult to grasp the thought processes of such an irrational person, so what she actually means may be up in the air.

Dude, did you miss the Santa Claus post????

1 hour ago, Fweethawt said:

Dude, did you miss the Santa Claus post????

Nope, I saw that. She's clearly loony; no doubt whatsoever about that. Like I said, it's difficult to grasp the thought processes of such an irrational person. 

The difficulty is only because of the wasted effort of trying to understand.

Just let it go.

Oh, I definitely don't plan to be involved in this much longer, but I am curious about that particular distinction.