Goodbye Jesus

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The big book of Alcoholics Anonymous invites us to believe that at the root of all our problems is self-centered pride and arrogance.

The big book of Alcoholics Anonymous also invites us to believe that "we will suddenly realize that god is doing for us the things we could not do for ourselves."

In other words, the same god who never lifted a finger to stop the suffering of 10-year-old girls in Bosnian rape camps cares so much about ME that he's going to reach down from heaven just to make sure I don't have one too many mint mojitos.

Could anything be more self-centered or arrogant?

Christianity is just self help, it never was anything else. That's why Bibles are found in the self help section at my local bookstore.

18 hours ago, realityrunt said:

Christianity is just self help, it never was anything else. That's why Bibles are found in the self help section at my local bookstore.

At their inception religions were/are  a means of controlling the masses while enhancing one's financial bottom line. Seems you are correct that, at lest in part, they are also a kind of self-help for many. I guess that's why so many people turn to/stay involved in religion in general. 

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

59 minutes ago, MOHO said:

At their inception religions were/are  a means of controlling the masses while enhancing one's financial bottom line. Seems you are correct that, at lest in part, they are also a kind of self-help for many. I guess that's why so many people turn to/stay involved in religion in general. 

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

Yes, so very true. But then I think Christianity was formed around these old testament precepts, to make a pliable spirituality. I think this kind of religion makes for a personal self aggrandizing belief system.

3 hours ago, realityrunt said:

Yes, so very true. But then I think Christianity was formed around these old testament precepts, to make a pliable spirituality. I think this kind of religion makes for a personal self aggrandizing belief system.

It does, in my opinion. When I began to think of others, I began to question Christianity, and look where that led me.

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

It does, in my opinion. When I began to think of others, I began to question Christianity, and look where that led me.

I can't believe one guy could fuck shit up so badly.

Jesus the mental nuclear weapon.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 9:56 PM, realityrunt said:

No, thats human nature, not Christ like nature.

Jesus was never comical, he was a serious dude.

You don't think some of His interactions with the Pharisees were funny?

He said that they have a two by four sticking out of their eye & yet they want to take a speck of dirt out of someone else's eye.

59 minutes ago, Thumbelina said:

He said that they have a two by four sticking out of their eye & yet they want to take a speck of dirt out of someone else's eye.

Hilarious.

• Haha 2

Christians don't annoy me. They have a right to defend their beliefs, just as I have a right to challeng their beliefs. I actually enjoy debating them that's why I'm active on a Christian site. 

Christians find atheists to be quite annoying too. They think we are trying to deconvert them,..and we are. That shoe seems fit more than one foot.  ;)

5 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

And yet Christians are the masters of hypocrisy.  Why is it that Jesus preached against hypocrisy and founded a religion full of hypocrisy?

• 2 weeks later...

If you criticize a pastor it's the same as criticizing God and he will zap you. Touch not my anointed etc. That to me makes you a cult leader.

• 1 month later...

Honouring goes up. You have to honour the pastor, but not the other way around. 🙄

What pisses me off is that the same logic TrueBelievers use to defend their moral or intellectual positions can be used against their religion in so many cases.

For instance, my wife's statement: "I don't want to go to XYZ place because so-and-so will be there, and they don't like me, but they'll give me a big, phony hello and act nice because it's expected of them."

My thought: then why should I get up early every Sunday to accompany you to church, where I'll be greeted warmly by people who never take a minute to involve themselves with my life for the other 165 hours in any given week?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The anti-gay nonsense, the hoity toity better than thou attitude most seem to embody, the hypocrisy, the youre a horrible person if you dont believe what a xtian believes. Just to name a few. 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, L.B. said:

For instance, my wife's statement: "I don't want to go to XYZ place because so-and-so will be there, and they don't like me, but they'll give me a big, phony hello and act nice because it's expected of them."

What does people's hypocrisy have to do with God? The bible said that believers should have no guile, that whatever is not of faith is sin (in other words, doing good things with wrong motives is sin.).

Thumbo,

I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about god. Just asking what fundy behaviors piss us off.

Just a way to vent.

We need to vent because we have to deal with the holier than thou, self-righteous, bow down to ME when I'm preaching bullshit at you, coke-socking, mother-trucking, Bible thumpers!

Thanx. I feel better now. :moon:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Thumbelina said:

What does people's hypocrisy have to do with God? The bible said that believers should have no guile, that whatever is not of faith is sin (in other words, doing good things with wrong motives is sin.).

This sort of behaviour. Big assertions and bible quoting as if that's the end of the argument.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, MOHO said:

Thumbo,

I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about god. Just asking what fundy behaviors piss us off.

Just a way to vent.

We need to vent because we have to deal with the holier than thou, self-righteous, bow down to ME when I'm preaching bullshit at you, coke-socking, mother-trucking, Bible thumpers!

Thanx. I feel better now. :moon:

Yes, you should be allowed to vent. I wasn't addressing the OP,  just L.B.'s post.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

This sort of behaviour. Big assertions and bible quoting as if that's the end of the argument.

Hey, certain atheistic types do that too; like quoting W K Clifford & Florduh ;).

1 minute ago, Thumbelina said:

Hey, certain atheistic types do that too; like quoting W K Clifford & Florduh ;).

If you think my quotes are an argument then you don't know how to make a good argument.

They are merely something that inspired me when I read them.

Now if I said I know exactly how life began THAT would be an unfounded assertion.

@LogicalFallacy

… so you're an agnostic?

22 minutes ago, Thumbelina said:

@LogicalFallacy

… so you're an agnostic?

Agnostic atheist

On 11/28/2017 at 8:06 PM, Guest said:

I don't really know what to talk about, so the first thing that came to mind is which behaviors of Christians are most annoying to atheists? How can Christians be less objectionable? 

It’s a little annoying when Christians claim that I am wrong, but I can get over myself. 

It’s quite objectionable when Christians claim that what they believe is absolute truth, when I know darn well that even within Christianity there are some major discrepancies about what’s what.

How can anyone claim to know “truth”? Like I said, I can get over myself and accept that other people believe what their gut says is “truth”, who am I to tell them any different?

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Agnostic atheist

Care to expound?

13 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

Care to expound?

What, you don't know what an agnostic atheist is?  As that's the view that I espouse, I'll explain from my POV.

Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge -- the ability or inability to know.

Theism and atheism deal with belief -- whether or not someone believes in a god.

I am an agnostic atheist because I do not know whether or not gods exist; however, I do not believe that they do exist.

I am also a strong agnostic because I believe it to be impossible to determine with certainty if a god-like being is what it claims to be.  If such a being did exist, at best it could be described as "god-like" by virtue of its observable traits and behaviours.  It would not be possible, for instance, to determine if the being was immortal or omnipotent, as we have no ways of measuring those traits.  The being could also be deluded as to its true nature. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Astreja said:

What, you don't know what an agnostic atheist is?  As that's the view that I espouse, I'll explain from my POV.

Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge -- the ability or inability to know.

Theism and atheism deal with belief -- whether or not someone believes in a god.

I am an agnostic atheist because I do not know whether or not gods exist; however, I do not believe that they do exist.

I am also a strong agnostic because I believe it to be impossible to determine with certainty if a god-like being is what it claims to be.  If such a being did exist, at best it could be described as "god-like" by virtue of its observable traits and behaviours.  It would not be possible, for instance, to determine if the being was immortal or omnipotent, as we have no ways of measuring those traits.  The being could also be deluded as to its true nature. 

So  you are stuck in your position or do you think there are questions we can ask or things we might measure that we haven't yet?