Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

On 12/16/2017 at 7:38 AM, Margee said:

I had a beautiful Catholic lady in my shop yesterday. I've known her for a long time and she is the most wonderful 'do-gooder'. You could not help but love her. She knows that I lost my faith. We got talking yesterday and she explained to me that she couldn't hear what I had to say because she totally understood all my reasons for questioning god. But she also told me that she absolutely had to hold on to her faith or she would die. She told me she wouldn't be able to make it here on earth without believing in god. She is purposely putting on the 'horse blinders' and can't even look at the destruction of the Catholic church. All she said is she thought those priests were terrible. She knows nothing about the bible.

She has to have god in her life. I told her I understood. 

On some level, I understand this. And I understand because I remember how impossible it felt at the beginning of my deconversion (at least for a little bit there) that there would be no heaven, and that suffering in this world wouldn't be rewarded in the next one. It seemed unfair somehow. But honestly, I think people who hold on to this view just can't seem to empathize with all the suffering of those around them in the world - how could you look at that, and think that God does nothing to help them? I find it truly bizarre that Christians can on one hand hold a great deal of empathy for the suffering in the world, (well, some of them; I've seen enough to know some of them only profess to care) and wear complete blinders while doing so in regards to who they truly believe has willed that suffering and does nothing to relieve it.

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The big book of Alcoholics Anonymous invites us to believe that at the root of all our problems is self-centered pride and arrogance.

The big book of Alcoholics Anonymous also invites us to believe that "we will suddenly realize that god is doing for us the things we could not do for ourselves."

In other words, the same god who never lifted a finger to stop the suffering of 10-year-old girls in Bosnian rape camps cares so much about ME that he's going to reach down from heaven just to make sure I don't have one too many mint mojitos.

Could anything be more self-centered or arrogant?

Christianity is just self help, it never was anything else. That's why Bibles are found in the self help section at my local bookstore.

18 hours ago, realityrunt said:

Christianity is just self help, it never was anything else. That's why Bibles are found in the self help section at my local bookstore.

At their inception religions were/are  a means of controlling the masses while enhancing one's financial bottom line. Seems you are correct that, at lest in part, they are also a kind of self-help for many. I guess that's why so many people turn to/stay involved in religion in general. 

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

59 minutes ago, MOHO said:

At their inception religions were/are  a means of controlling the masses while enhancing one's financial bottom line. Seems you are correct that, at lest in part, they are also a kind of self-help for many. I guess that's why so many people turn to/stay involved in religion in general. 

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

Yes, so very true. But then I think Christianity was formed around these old testament precepts, to make a pliable spirituality. I think this kind of religion makes for a personal self aggrandizing belief system.

3 hours ago, realityrunt said:

Yes, so very true. But then I think Christianity was formed around these old testament precepts, to make a pliable spirituality. I think this kind of religion makes for a personal self aggrandizing belief system.

It does, in my opinion. When I began to think of others, I began to question Christianity, and look where that led me.

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

It does, in my opinion. When I began to think of others, I began to question Christianity, and look where that led me.

I can't believe one guy could fuck shit up so badly.

Jesus the mental nuclear weapon.

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2017 at 9:56 PM, realityrunt said:

No, thats human nature, not Christ like nature.

Jesus was never comical, he was a serious dude.

You don't think some of His interactions with the Pharisees were funny?

He said that they have a two by four sticking out of their eye & yet they want to take a speck of dirt out of someone else's eye.

59 minutes ago, Thumbelina said:

He said that they have a two by four sticking out of their eye & yet they want to take a speck of dirt out of someone else's eye.

Hilarious.

Christians don't annoy me. They have a right to defend their beliefs, just as I have a right to challeng their beliefs. I actually enjoy debating them that's why I'm active on a Christian site. 

Christians find atheists to be quite annoying too. They think we are trying to deconvert them,..and we are. That shoe seems fit more than one foot.  ;)

5 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

And yet Christians are the masters of hypocrisy.  Why is it that Jesus preached against hypocrisy and founded a religion full of hypocrisy?

6 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

How do you know that Jesus even said any of these things?  

• Like 2