Goodbye Jesus

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, Astreja said:

What, you don't know what an agnostic atheist is?  As that's the view that I espouse, I'll explain from my POV.

Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge -- the ability or inability to know.

Theism and atheism deal with belief -- whether or not someone believes in a god.

I am an agnostic atheist because I do not know whether or not gods exist; however, I do not believe that they do exist.

I am also a strong agnostic because I believe it to be impossible to determine with certainty if a god-like being is what it claims to be.  If such a being did exist, at best it could be described as "god-like" by virtue of its observable traits and behaviours.  It would not be possible, for instance, to determine if the being was immortal or omnipotent, as we have no ways of measuring those traits.  The being could also be deluded as to its true nature. 

Thanks for explaining. You saved me from Googling :) .

On 8/8/2018 at 1:32 PM, end3 said:

So  you are stuck in your position or do you think there are questions we can ask or things we might measure that we haven't yet?

Regarding the strong agnosticism, I probably am stuck.  I've done a lot of thought experiments over the years, and I just don't see any way around the problem of "Yes, but what is it, really?"

I'm open to encountering god-like beings, and if I ever do encounter one, the "What is it?" question would probably be a minor consideration.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, end3 said:

So  you are stuck in your position or do you think there are questions we can ask or things we might measure that we haven't yet?

Not to speak for or answer what you asked here of Astreja, but you are free to ask questions about any God you believe in, and measure anything you can measure.

Until you can show up with any measurement  that we all can measure you have no more than the agnostic has by definition. That is to say, no knowledge.

• Like 1