Goodbye Jesus

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

3 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

Thanks for telling me that evangelism is objectionable to you. 

The key here is understanding. Do you understand why evangelism is objectionable?

22 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Welcome Penny

You and I have already started an exchange so you are off to a great start.

Browse the topics primarily in the Lions Den, Christian Theological Issues if you are wanting to respond to our conversations about religion. You can even start your own topics, ask us why we don't believe in God etc.

However be prepared, you may find material on this site, or ways of thinking that will severely challenge your beliefs. There are a number of Christians who frequent this site - @ironhorse and @end3 are the two regulars who we engage with. We generally try and be polite, but we hit hard... very hard.

As far as breaking into the clubhouse - no we welcome Christians to debate with us. The only thing I wouldn't like is if a Christian then cried that we were challenging their beliefs.

Regarding the top section around Rants and replies - be aware that certain sections have restrictions on the content that Christians can post. So while we don't mind you going into the Lion's Den and proclaiming we are all going to hell, doing so in Testimonies, Introductions, or Ex-Christian life will cop you a warning, and if you persist, a ban. Those areas are for de converting Christians to share without having Christians preaching at them.

If after some time you feel you are ready for formal debate there is the Arena and Coliseum where you may challenge a member to debate over a specific topic.

As to how can Christians be less objectionable? Stop trying to put your bronze age biblical belief's into law! Keep state and religion separate. I don't care what you believe as long as you don't try and force it on me. (This is not directed at you personally... but it is an annoying thing Christians do)

Oh and what mwc said about Totally of Topic - this is the place where dung gets thrown about at Ex C. Thick skin and willing to kick a poster in the nuts is necessary to survival in here :D 

Thanks very much for telling me where to post and not to post. I have no intention of preaching, as I am no apologist nor theologian, and extremely poor evangelist. I am here at the behest of an atheist friend who thinks I am too insulated and need to challenge my beliefs.

As to laws and Christianity, what if they happen to coincide? For example, I think murder is universally looked upon as something to outlaw, whether Christian or non Christian. There is some overlapping, I do believe. 

21 hours ago, Thurisaz said:

I'm not an atheist but if you want to hear my answer: The combination of 1. assuming the Christian view of "truth" is the only valid one, and 2. the desire to convert everyone else. The one or the other can be bearable, but the combo is what (to me) makes it obnoxious.

Quite a few will now probably want to point out the frequently-encountered holier-than-thou arrogance, habitual use of lies, and the reality denial of fanatic Christians, but arguably, I think these derive from the above-mentioned root causes.

Thank you for your answer. I believe the former is not a behavior, but a world view. Thoughts are not behaviors. Of course, if a Christian tells you that Christianity is the only truth, then that becomes a behavior. 

14 hours ago, yunea said:

Nah you're welcome on the site as others said. 

Annoying behaviors? Currently I'm the most bothered by them telling me that their god did what I did. Like when there's success with a project, especially if there was a random coincidence that somehow made things better. Or when I avoid car crashes.

Oh, and childhood indoctrination that makes children fear hell and demons, and pray with tears in their eyes for people who aren't "saved". There are so many healthier ways to teach kids about caring for the well-being of loved ones. 

Thank you for your answer. I think it would be galling if you received a reward for something and someone did not acknowledge your hard work. 

I am not privy to the doctrines of every church, but I was not taught to fear demons. I find many children afraid of ghosts, Bloody Mary, etc who are not necessarily church kids. Churches teach children to love and forgive others. I remember the Good Samaritan parable, and many other virtues that I think almost everyone would agree that these are positive things to inculcate in children. 

14 hours ago, primaryzero said:

This was pretty funny and accurate. The only thing I would disagree with is the unspoken prayer request thing, because some things you can not blurt out in church. 

11 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

Is existing considered to be a behavior? :HaHa:

No, plants exist- but don't really "behave". I don't know if phototropism and geotropism are actual behaviors. 

9 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Hi, Penny. I think it's cool of you to sign up because your friend asked you to, that's already way more decent of you than some friend responses many of us have experienced. Of course if it's your "wink wink" friend, we're cool with that too. Only god knows, right? :P

Frankly, it took me losing my faith to realize how completely uneducated I was on what it is atheists actually believe. Like I thought I knew, but I just....didn't. So any "christian OWNS atheist" videos were always powerful to me because I believed the content of the video. Any atheist watching it just laughs at the complete lack of understanding on topics like objective morality, the history of the bible, the history of the church, science (in general). I encourage you to really educate yourself on where we're actually coming from before you attempt to evangelize, many of us used to spout the SAME STUFF you will be tempted to tell us. We're just over it. It's SO ANNOYING to have scripture spouted at us when it's literally more myth than anything else. It's SO ANNOYING to be talked down to as though "we've just yet to understand how god feels about suffering, but...we'll get there." It's SO ANNOYING to be evangelized to as though we don't know where you're coming from, when you in fact don't know where we're coming from. So yeah, we've already heard all your beliefs. Sit back and take it all in for a bit, listen to what we have to say.

Also, what @yunea said.

I'm really not here to evangelize. I told my friend I actually didn't want to post here as I don't want to turn people off God, but I suppose if you are already turned off God, there is no harm. 

8 hours ago, Vigile said:

For me:

1. Assuming we deconverted because we are mad at the church, because someone hurt us, etc... We aren't so shallow and these assumptions are insults to our characters. 

2. Be pro war and nationalistic. 

On the other hand, if you guys take James seriously in terms of how he defines true religion, you're cool with me. I don't care if we don't believe the same things. As long as you're loving and want to help others we agree on a human level. 

Thanks for your answer. I don't think we all believe you are angry at the church, nor are we all pro war. Quakers are pretty much anti war. 

18 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

I'm not sure what you mean. 

It's basically when someone prays for something they otherwise can do with their own efforts.

20 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

As to laws and Christianity, what if they happen to coincide? For example, I think murder is universally looked upon as something to outlaw, whether Christian or non Christian. There is some overlapping, I do believe. 

It is universal which is the best indication that its not a god given revelation to a bunch of desert nomads. Every culture in the world going back millennia has had no murder laws. It's common sense.

I don't think murder is wrong because the bible says so, I believe it is wrong because it harms a person in the worst possible way - it takes away their right to life.

Now try Gay marriage or abortion and you might find where people are inserting their religious beliefs into the law making system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MOHO said:

Hey, @PennySerenade,

Are you asking this question in  hopes of re-packaging xianity to make it more palatable?

What irks me the most about xtians behavior is when they quote or paraphrase the Bible in a discussion and then strut about like peacocks because no one can counter THAT argument. Of course they would FIRST have to prove that there is a modicum of truth or accuracy to anything in the Bible.

Second up is when they act as though they have complete and utter control and authority over me because they "have the authority of Jesus and/or God, behind them. Of course THAT is the what all religions were invented to accomplish in the first place.

Finally when someone rants about finding a parking place at the mall because they just preyed for one and God found them one. Of course God stopped ignoring all of those starving children in Africa for a moment to find said pious, deluded, self-centered, individual a parking spot. :49:

Thanks for your answer. I am here at the behest of my friend who believes I am insulated and need to challenge my thinking. Actually not here to evangelize, and am wondering how not to be a jerk to people who do not believe as I do. 

I think quoting the Bible to people who do not believe it is as absurd as if someone quoted the Koran to me- so I agree, it is rather silly to use the Bible on this forum.

The second thing sounds weird and strange, I would think the person is a megalomaniac.

I am definitely guilty of the third thing. 

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, PennySerenade said:

...but I suppose if you are already turned off God...

This statement demonstrates the disconnect. Nobody here is "turned off" God and certainly nobody here hates your god. You assume your god exists, we have come to a different conclusion. We simply don't believe your god exists and you can't entertain the thought that perhaps we're right. BTW, that does not mean that every Ex-Christian is an Atheist. As you can see, it is difficult for believers and non believers to effectively communicate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, primaryzero said:

It's basically when someone prays for something they otherwise can do with their own efforts.

lol the old God help me find my car keys prayer.... yep.

I'll tell you what else is annoying... the thank God for everything as opposed to recognising the human effort. Thank God my friend got that job... no they worked hard and presented well. Thank god I got that loan. No the bank manager was satisfied that you could pay back the loan. Thank god for healing my headache - sure it wasn't the aspirin you took 10 minuets ago? Thank God I survived cancer... sure it wasn't the doctors and medical care that did all the hard work?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bornagainathiest said:

Hello PennySerenade.

I'm not annoyed by this but I do think it's a great shame when Christians fail to keep their word.

A Christian member of this forum called Ironhorse is currently trying to avoid keeping his word.

This thread explains it.  http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/77981-please-remind-ironhorse-to-keep-his-word/?tab=comments#comment-1161095

Thanks,

BAA.

Are you as annoyed when non Christians fail to keep their words? Do you have the same standards for all people, or higher standards for Christians?

1 minute ago, florduh said:

This statement demonstrates the disconnect. Nobody here is "turned off" God and certainly nobody here hates your god. You assume your god exists, we have come to a different conclusion. We simply don't believe your god exists and you can't entertain the thought that perhaps we're right. BTW, that does not mean that every Ex-Christian is an Atheist. As you can see, it is difficult for believers and non believers to effectively communicate.

I agree. It's not like I turned off a TV show because I got sick of the repeating storyline. In the case of God there is no TV show at all!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PennySerenade said:

Are you as annoyed when non Christians fail to keep their words? Do you have the same standards for all people, or higher standards for Christians?

You would have to be us debate Christians constantly to get what BAA means.

And if you hang around here long enough you'll find BAA holding all of us to the same standard - just watch someone try and make an unsubstantiated scientific claim.

5 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

lol the old God help me find my car keys prayer.... yep.

I'll tell you what else is annoying... the thank God for everything as opposed to recognising the human effort. Thank God my friend got that job... no they worked hard and presented well. Thank god I got that loan. No the bank manager was satisfied that you could pay back the loan. Thank god for healing my headache - sure it wasn't the aspirin you took 10 minuets ago? Thank God I survived cancer... sure it wasn't the doctors and medical care that did all the hard work?

Funny now, not so funny then.

7 hours ago, florduh said:

Welcome to Ex-C. No, you don't have to be an Ex to hang out.

Annoying Christian behavior? Generally anything under the umbrella of insisting (sometimes through force of law) that non-Christians comply with their religious beliefs. This would include efforts to teach Creationism as science rather than religion and Christian morality legislation.

I could care less what people do on their own dime and time. Pray over dinner, I'll be respectful. Invite me to church, I'll politely decline. Tell me gays are going to Hell or insist the Lord's Prayer open our city council meeting, we have a problem. And please stop promoting the lie about how you're so persecuted; for example, there is no war on Christmas so just stop it.

Thanks for your answer. I don't know that Creationism is taught as science in public schools, perhaps in some places. I live in the very conservative state of Alabama, and it is not taught in our district. Yes, evolution is taught, yes the Big Bang Theory is taught, as is Pangaea, and heliocentrism- believe it or not! Law is a bit sticky, as I find that Christian ethics and ethics in general tend to overlap in some areas, like laws against murder and theft of property. 

The war on Christmas mantra is a little irritating to me, as well- I tried to point out to my mother that "Happy Holidays" is just as reverent as "Merry Christmas" as the word holiday comes from the phrase holy day- but to no avail. 

19 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

I think that the Christian life sets such high standards, that the blow that comes with never living up to the god of the bible is self defeating.

You naturally hate anything you do, because nothing is better than perfection in your gods eyes.

6 hours ago, SkipNChurch said:

Penny,

I'm going to have to put my six and a half Outer Srbishastankovik Zoltoys into pot.  (>.002us cents)

Fucking religious folks preaching and pretending that "SEX IS A SIN!!!!!!".  That with all the lack of life that goes with not being able to dress as one wants, hang with who you'd prefer,  date a favorite list of possibles, being told that "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!", use your dime and time as yours. 

Sex. Not being able to fool around and play as kids experimenting. Dating when ready. having someone else's moral code jammed down your undies as a chastity belt. Forbidden in many cases to make decisions with whom, how many, often, when and when. Being shamed as a female when that lil flap of vestigial skin breaks before your MAN takes your virginity...
Told that women are to be pure and clean while we men get to fuck around and that be ignored or covered up when they did what hard cocks little heads cause big heads to seize up.

Seriously, being told as a kid at home in sunday (Pick a day!) classes youth groups pastoral counselling that you exploring how good your body feels when it is self explored or touched by an other or others IS B A D.

Nothing fucks up a good religious kid when  he or she reads some good science fiction and discovers the Big O about same time.

Do I espouse kids being taught to jack or jill off at any opportunity? Nahh, do let them know what might be considered private best done when others won't be so damn offended.

kevinL

This is something that bothers me, as well. The guidelines for behavior in the Bible are not meant for people who are not Christians, so have at it. 

5 hours ago, primaryzero said:

Are you saying this YouTubion is a Christian? What are you saying exactly, damn my Homer brain.

Yes, he seems to be a Christian. I thought it was rather funny that you posted this video as this seems like Christian humor. 

5 hours ago, bornagainathiest said:

How about hypocrisy?

That is, Christians saying one thing, but doing another.  Claiming to hold to a certain standard, but living by another.  

Such as Christians saying that no evidence would shake their faith, but living their lives by evidence.

Every day heeding the evidence of their eyes and ears, but then rejecting any evidence that would falsify their faith.

This hypocritical double standard is quite objectionable.

Thank you. I think we are all hypocrites, to be honest. Christians, non Christians, but that is my own opinion. 

Just now, PennySerenade said:

Yes, he seems to be a Christian. I thought it was rather funny that you posted this video as this seems like Christian humor. 

Yeah I know.

Now.

Just now, PennySerenade said:

Thank you. I think we are all hypocrites, to be honest. Christians, non Christians, but that is my own opinion. 

Hi Penny, and welcome.

You think Christians are hypocrites? As I understand it, the term hypocrite means "actor", but nevermind that. Why do you think Christians are hypocrites?