Goodbye Jesus

Which Christian Behaviors Most Annoy Atheists?

4 hours ago, ContraBardus said:

The short answer is that most of us don't want to talk about God or your Faith, or our lack of it in most cases. That's pretty much it. Any other normal topic of conversation is fine.

We don't want to talk about God for the same reason you probably don't talk about whether Santa Claus or Unicorns are real with other adults. Atheists don't hate god for the same reason adult Christians don't hate Santa for not bringing them a toy they wanted when they were six. This is hard for a lot of Christians to get their heads around.

A lot of us don't like the church and some of the ideals it promotes, or what the idea of God enables some people to do, but we don't hate God for the same reason we don't hate Darth Vader for cutting off Luke's hand in the Empire Strike's Back.

We definitely don't want to have constant arguments about it and spend very little time thinking about it. Again, for pretty much the exact same reason most people don't spend time thinking about elves, what elves might think about what they're doing, or whether elves helped them find their lost keys. Again, this is another things some Christians can't quite get their heads around. Atheists don't spend a lot of time thinking about the idea that there is no God any more than any other person thinks about the idea that there is no Superman.

Christians don't generally have to defend their beliefs. They are pretty much accepted at face value. Atheists, if they are known to be atheists, are constantly having to defend their beliefs in conversation. Its exhausting and annoying.

Many Christians think that they do, it's what they are often told from the pulpit, but most people don't really care to argue with you about it as long as you accept the idea that "Jesus is God". Atheism is another matter entirely.

At the end of the day, your friend will be fine talking about pretty much anything but God. We don't even care if you mention God in passing such as "I thank God for that", or say something like "Bless you" when someone sneezes, or "Merry Christmas" as a greeting around the holidays. Most of us just accept those as expressions, and don't really put any more thought into it than that, and generally don't want the conversation on the subject to go any deeper than that.

Thanks very much for your answer. I figured this was the case. Weirdly, when I try to drop the subjects of God and Christianity, this is all he wants to talk about- when I would be happy to agree to disagree. He seems to be hell bent on proving me wrong, for whatever reason. Pun is intentional. 

48 minutes ago, florduh said:

Well, duh. Would you enjoy constant "invitations" to experience the wonders of Islam or the joys of Scientology?

No, I would not. 

48 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

Thank you for your answer. I believe the former is not a behavior, but a world view. Thoughts are not behaviors. Of course, if a Christian tells you that Christianity is the only truth, then that becomes a behavior. 

Ah yes. Point taken. :)

49 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The key here is understanding. Do you understand why evangelism is objectionable?

Yes, I think so. It is jamming one's beliefs onto another. I can not agree that all evangelism is objectionable. If two people are close friends, and one asks about the other's faith, and how it came to be- that is not objectionable in my mind. The beating one over the head with a Bible is objectionable. I am not sure if this is what you meant. 

28 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

It's basically when someone prays for something they otherwise can do with their own efforts.

Oh, so if someone prays to lose weight, but does not exercise? 

29 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

It is universal which is the best indication that its not a god given revelation to a bunch of desert nomads. Every culture in the world going back millennia has had no murder laws. It's common sense.

I don't think murder is wrong because the bible says so, I believe it is wrong because it harms a person in the worst possible way - it takes away their right to life.

Now try Gay marriage or abortion and you might find where people are inserting their religious beliefs into the law making system.

Thanks for clarifying. So some overlap is unavoidable I would think. 

Just now, PennySerenade said:

Oh, so if someone prays to lose weight, but does not exercise? 

If prayers did work no one would do anything.

But yes, what you said.

28 minutes ago, florduh said:

This statement demonstrates the disconnect. Nobody here is "turned off" God and certainly nobody here hates your god. You assume your god exists, we have come to a different conclusion. We simply don't believe your god exists and you can't entertain the thought that perhaps we're right. BTW, that does not mean that every Ex-Christian is an Atheist. As you can see, it is difficult for believers and non believers to effectively communicate.

It's actually difficult for me to communicate with anyone, so this is nothing new. I have a faulty transmitter. 

25 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

You would have to be us debate Christians constantly to get what BAA means.

And if you hang around here long enough you'll find BAA holding all of us to the same standard - just watch someone try and make an unsubstantiated scientific claim.

I wondered if he had higher standards for Christians. Thanks for answering. 

22 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

I think that the Christian life sets such high standards, that the blow that comes with never living up to the god of the bible is self defeating.

You naturally hate anything you do, because nothing is better than perfection in your gods eyes.

Actually, I know perfection is unobtainable. I know there are Christians who believe in sinless perfection, I am not one who ascribes to the belief that perfection is obtainable. 

2 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

It's actually difficult for me to communicate with anyone, so this is nothing new. I have a faulty transmitter. 

Where do you get this gross dissatisfaction with yourself? Numerous times you side line your own human nature, as if your "A failure" now where does this view of yourself come from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PennySerenade said:

Actually, I know perfection is unobtainable. I know there are Christians who believe in sinless perfection, I am not one who ascribes to the belief that perfection is obtainable. 

Yes you do, because your whole faith hangs on the premises that one day you'll be perfect in heaven.

And you must toe the biblical line to obtain that perfection.

"Be perfect, as I am perfect"

16 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Hi Penny, and welcome.

You think Christians are hypocrites? As I understand it, the term hypocrite means "actor", but nevermind that. Why do you think Christians are hypocrites?

I think everyone is a hypocrite- to some degree or another. I think we all have ideals we don't always live up to, this is what I meant by hypocrite- believing one thing, but doing another. If I believe I should not waste time on the job, yet I waste time- I'm being a hypocrite. I am not behaving as I believe I should behave. 

2 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

Does it surprise you that Christians are able to make fun of themselves? 

No, thats human nature, not Christ like nature.

Jesus was never comical, he was a serious dude.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

If prayers did work no one would do anything.

But yes, what you said.

Thanks very much for your answer. I think praying should be looked upon as not only petitioning God- most of the time it is communing with God. Petitioning prayers are not the majority of most Christians' prayer lives (I think, I am going by myself, only). 

6 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

Where do you get this gross dissatisfaction with yourself? Numerous times you side line your own human nature, as if your "A failure" now where does this view of yourself come from.

It comes from 38 years of faulty communication. It is a faulty transmitter problem. Perhaps it is not my fault, but my Designer's. God comes in handy, sometimes. 

Thanks very much for your answer. I think praying should be looked upon as not only petitioning God- most of the time it is communing with God. Petitioning prayers are not the majority of most Christians' prayer lives (I think, I am going by myself, only). 

As George Carlin said.

"Most of this praying happens on a Sunday, his day off"

6 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

Yes you do, because your whole faith hangs on the premises that one day you'll be perfect in heaven.

And you must toe the biblical line to obtain that perfection.

"Be perfect, as I am perfect"

Why do you quote the Bible if it is meaningless? I thought a poster said that he hated when Christians post verses from the Bible to provide proof for arguments. I don't understand why you are using it. If it is meaningless, then it can not further your arguments. 

5 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

No, thats human nature, not Christ like nature.

Jesus was never comical, he was a serious dude.

I don't think the Bible chronicled every word and every thing Jesus ever did in His 33 years of life. He had a lot of fans and got asked to dinner quite often. I'm sure he was a cool guy, charming and funny and magnetic. Kind of like Ronald Reagan (apologies to Democrats). 

It comes from 38 years of faulty communication. It is a faulty transmitter problem. Perhaps it is not my fault, but my Designer's. God comes in handy, sometimes. 

I remember that feeling of safety, when you believe god is watching out for you. I understand.

3 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

As George Carlin said.

"Most of this praying happens on a Sunday, his day off"

I did not know Carlin prayed, that is rather amusing- an atheist praying. 

3 minutes ago, PennySerenade said:

Why do you quote the Bible if it is meaningless? I thought a poster said that he hated when Christians post verses from the Bible to provide proof for arguments. I don't understand why you are using it. If it is meaningless, then it can not further your arguments. 

Show Christians the logical fallacy of there own beliefs, it's how I rejected the bible. 

Just now, primaryzero said:

I remember that feeling of safety, when you believe god is watching out for you. I understand.

You misunderstood my remark (evidence of my faulty communication system). I meant that God can be blamed for making me with a faulty transmitter- therefore not my fault. 

Just now, primaryzero said:

Show Christians the logical fallacy of there own beliefs, it's how I rejected the bible. 

Ah, so you are interested in de converting me?