Goodbye Jesus

Blasphemous rumors

realityrunt

Christians

How can you tell one spirit from another "Test the spirits" it says.

But what tests do you implement to discern what spirit is what.

Do you just open your heart/mind on confession and hope that you ain't filled by a unclean spirit.

Now don't just say that our spirit discerns what's what. Because before you had the spirit you think is the right one, what tests did you do to make sure you were not possessed by the Devil itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing Believer's advocate here: It is written, "no man can come unto me unless the Father who sent me draws him", so it has to start with God initiating understanding. With that enlightenment, we can choose to follow God. Then Jesus said "If anyone desires to do His will, he will know whether My teaching is from God or whether I speak on My own", and the Spirit indwells us once we come to Him, and we can then see and understand things that seem stupid to unbelievers because God's spirit enables us. 

[Taking off the role of believer's advocate, anything is possible if you believe in magic invisible friends smiling down on you, and have a book of verses that can mean just about anything, and are willing to ignore the inconvenient problems of the complete absence of answers to prayers for much needed things and instead interpret them as tests, God having a better plan that he won't tell you about, that that non-answer really is an answer, etc.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 8:49 PM, realityrunt said:

Christians

Do you just open your heart/mind on confession and hope that you ain't filled by a unclean spirit.

Now don't just say that our spirit discerns what's what. Because before you had the spirit you think is the right one, what tests did you do to make sure you were not possessed by the Devil itself.

The spirit of jesus will rob you of your free time on sunday as well as steal your common sense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, midniterider said:

The spirit of jesus will rob you of your free time on sunday as well as steal your common sense. 

And your MONEY (but that goes along with your common sense)! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

And your MONEY (but that goes along with your common sense)! 

...and maybe your spouse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Super Moderator

jesus never robbed me of anything... in much the same way as Hitler never killed any Jews.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, realityrunt said:

Christians

Unchecked Copy Box1Jo 4:2 - This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

Unchecked Copy Box1Jo 4:3 - but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, end3 said:

Unchecked Copy Box1Jo 4:2 - This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

Unchecked Copy Box1Jo 4:3 - but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

So, all I have to do is say, "jesus christ has come in the flesh" and you will listen and believe everything I say?  That would certainly make arguing with you a lot easier.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, end3 said:

I think the OP has a valid point. When was John written, and how were people supposed to discern before that? Granted, he did ask how Christians were to know, and despite your answer there were Christians many years before the books of John were written but let's go deeper.

What about the people that were possessed by demons and had never heard of Jesus until he came along and "set them free"? 

• Thanks 1

realityrunt,

"Christians,

How can you tell one spirit from another "Test the spirits" it says.  But what tests do you implement to discern what spirit is what."

Although I am not a Christian I would like to throw my hat in the ring here.  My spirit recommendations: The only good way to discriminate between spirits is a taste test of your own. You cannot take anyone else word for it.  Uncle Jack is one of my favorites, but Jamison Irish Whiskey is also very good and smooth. I like a number of tequilas, and some Russian vodkas, which are also smooth and taste very good.  There are also a number of good Gins, Rums, Brandies, as well as Cognacs.  There are countess other good mixed spirits and liqueurs.  Some wines are called spirits but usually not beers. Most all well-known spirits anyone can trust according to my recommendations, not just dedicated Christians.

But maybe only Christians can go to AA, with its twelve steps and all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Super Moderator
17 hours ago, MOHO said:

...and maybe your spouse.

Sad, but often true when one "loves" their imaginary friend more than their real spouse. 

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, end3 said:

Translated:  Only listen to those that believe as you do.

How profound and helpful.  :wacko:

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, sdelsolray said:

Translated:  Only listen to those that believe as you do.

How profound and helpful.  :wacko:

Well I think we give heed to the Spirit whether we acknowledge it or not.  We can't readily define the Spirit but we use and define "spiritual" regularly.  One would gather that the Ark of the Covenant is now the Holy Spirit...

On 1/1/2018 at 12:07 PM, end3 said:

Well I think we give heed to the Spirit whether we acknowledge it or not.  We can't readily define the Spirit but we use and define "spiritual" regularly.  One would gather that the Ark of the Covenant is now the Holy Spirit...

End, that's just crap off the top of your head, isn't it.

One would gather that the Ark of the Covenant is just what the Bible says it is, and the Holy Spirit is God Almighty, not a man made box full of trinkets.

But to each their own, I guess. You seem to be much more New Agey these days than fundamental Christian. You might bring up Biblical "types", but that's my point. 

• Super Moderator

Didn't the ark of the covenant kill a man just for touching it?  If the holy spirit is, in fact, the transfiguration of the ark, how can it dwell inside us and yet we live?

And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.  And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.  2 Samuel 6: 6-7

On 1/1/2018 at 9:07 AM, end3 said:

Well I think we give heed to the Spirit whether we acknowledge it or not.

Speak for yourself.

We can't readily define the Spirit....

How convenient.

but we use and define "spiritual" regularly.

Do "we" now?  Perhaps you could grace us with your definition.

One would gather that the Ark of the Covenant is now the Holy Spirit...

Yes, just one, not two, or three, or seven hundred.  That "one" would be you, and no other.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:49 AM, end3 said:

This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

:jerkit:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard this line before.....By age 5 I was told the antichrist had already been born (and was more than likely in his 20's....in 1975). I'm 47 now. I guess he must be waiting until he's a bit older to take over the world? Oh...and in the late 80's Mikhail Gorbabachev was suppose to be a good candidate for antichrist or so I was told. Something to do with him coming from the evil empire Russia (Vigile will love that one;) and has the birthmark on his head AND he spoke positively about the Catholic church (all Catholics were going to hell....I was told). Gorbachev is 86 right now so he better act fast if he wants to win the position of antichrist. 

Don't hold your breath waiting for the antichrist or rapture. Or do...How you choose to waste your time is up to you.

17 hours ago, duderonomy said:

End, that's just crap off the top of your head, isn't it.

One would gather that the Ark of the Covenant is just what the Bible says it is, and the Holy Spirit is God Almighty, not a man made box full of trinkets.

But to each their own, I guess. You seem to be much more New Agey these days than fundamental Christian. You might bring up Biblical "types", but that's my point. 

No actually not.  I, maybe not everyone, see "arks" for carrying God's plan/word through history.  Moses's basket, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Jesus, and now, what I am describing, are individuals carrying, and are God's arks of the Spirit.  Take it or leave it, no biggie. 

15 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

1) Speak for yourself.

2) How convenient.

3) Do "we" now?  Perhaps you could grace us with your definition.

4) Yes, just one, not two, or three, or seven hundred.  That "one" would be you, and no other.

1) You give heed to some "spirit"....spirit being wonderfully undefined.

2) Not just convenient, just a reality.

3) Words....let's say the word "joy" for example.  We have a word joy, with a definition.  Joy is essentially spiritual, and here we have a word and definition for it.  And  there are others, many others.  Why do we have words and definitions for things that are not facts. 

4) You might revisit the uniqueness discussion...

• Super Moderator
29 minutes ago, end3 said:

I, maybe not everyone, see "arks" for carrying God's plan/word through history.  Moses's basket, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Jesus, and now, what I am describing, are individuals carrying, and are God's arks of the Spirit. 

I agree that there are different "vessels" employed throughout the story. I think it's a valid viewpoint. My only disagreement is the use of the word "history" rather than "story." :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, florduh said:

I agree that there are different "vessels" employed throughout the story. I think it's a valid viewpoint. My only disagreement is the use of the word "history" rather than "story." :D

The FSM uses plates to carry his noodley spiritual Truth to the masses.

Can I get a R'amen?

Just now, midniterider said:

The FSM uses plates to carry his noodley spiritual Truth to the masses.

Can I get a R'amen?

Ok, lol, that's a little funny...  Can only comment....Christians can't upvote..

10 minutes ago, florduh said:

My cross to bear is having to flesh these observations out for the less apt, the legalists of this world.....  You saw what I did there right S?

5 hours ago, end3 said:

1) You give heed to some "spirit"....spirit being wonderfully undefined.

2) Not just convenient, just a reality.

3) Words....let's say the word "joy" for example.  We have a word joy, with a definition.  Joy is essentially spiritual, and here we have a word and definition for it.  And  there are others, many others.  Why do we have words and definitions for things that are not facts. 

4) You might revisit the uniqueness discussion...

Your passive-aggresive personality disorder is well indicated, and, not surprisingly, you relish in it.

As an alternative, try communicating.  Although simple communication can be difficult, learning how to do it and wanting to do it should help you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, end3 said:

No actually not.  I, maybe not everyone, see "arks" for carrying God's plan/word through history.  Moses's basket, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Jesus, and now, what I am describing, are individuals carrying, and are God's arks of the Spirit.  Take it or leave it, no biggie. 

Do you see yourself as one of these arks?  Like the Pope or something? 

My point is and has been for a while that you use psycho babble and the ideas that come to you as if they are Gospel, and you ignore the Bible. The Bible, whether true or false, has its own contradictions and its own assertions, and you are just imagining stuff to make yourself feel better. 

You as a Christian should know that you have no belief, no ground to stand on, and no anchor in reality for what you believe without the the Bible. Wouldn't you agree that your faith lives or dies in what the Bible says, or do you claim that some Christian hope you may have, or some idea of what Christianity should be like is more important than the Bible that told you of Jesus? 

It doesn't matter what you "see". It only matters what the Bible really actually says, and if you can't defend that all you have are fantasies that you can't even jack off to.

• Haha 1