Goodbye Jesus

Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters After 37 Years

mwc

7 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Does anyone know how US Astronauts are getting onto the ISS at the moment?

In fact, the US has fallen behind with its rocket engine tech. After Russia was sanctioned congress had to go back and exempt rocket engines, otherwise NASA would have been dead in the water. 

• Thanks 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:18 PM, Vigile said:

I don't know about smarter than. The soviets were first in space. 

True enough.  They were winning the space race.  In addition to a great many of their firsts they had landed a "rover" on the moon even.

mwc

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mwc said:

True enough.  They were winning the space race.  In addition to a great many of their firsts they had landed a "rover" on the moon even.

mwc

They lost the economic race though and it cost them.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Also true.  That doesn't mean they didn't achieve a lot of firsts.  The biggest problem was they were all happening behind the Iron Curtain and they weren't widely known until long after the fact.  Otherwise, who knows, they may well have inspired people like our American space program did?

mwc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Probably more fair to say they lost the cold war. Sanctions, isolation and a serious amount of undermining both at home and abroad, including even the manipulation of oil prices using the Saudis weakened them. A little known fact is that the majority of Soviet citizens even voted to remain communist but western operatives had gained influence over Gorby and they took advantage of the crisis (which is the MO of the IC community btw) to overrule the will of the people. This influence lasted through the 90s but Putin, et al have reasserted Russian control and have made great strides in removing Western influence. This is why we are now seeing cold war II and it's not so clear which side is going to win this round. At the very least, this time the Russians are not losing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 11:57 PM, Vigile said:

Probably more fair to say they lost the cold war. Sanctions, isolation and a serious amount of undermining both at home and abroad, including even the manipulation of oil prices using the Saudis weakened them. A little known fact is that the majority of Soviet citizens even voted to remain communist but western operatives had gained influence over Gorby and they took advantage of the crisis (which is the MO of the IC community btw) to overrule the will of the people. This influence lasted through the 90s but Putin, et al have reasserted Russian control and have made great strides in removing Western influence. This is why we are now seeing cold war II and it's not so clear which side is going to win this round. At the very least, this time the Russians are not losing. 

There is no Cold War II, and now that Trump has redirected NASA towards space instead of Muslim outreach, the U.S. will win as it always does.

I know that must rankle your Islam loving Russia loving soul, Mr. I Was Born In The States! but it's true. Yes, the Soviets were the first ones in space, but where is their interstellar craft still flying? I suppose it's true that the Germans invented the first automobile too, but it took Henry Ford to make it available and affordable. How many Russian or Islamic cars pass you everyday on the freeway?

I'm sure Putin is doing everything he can to remove Western influence. I hope you enjoy your new dark age. If all it takes is a few sanctions, a little isolation, a bit of undermining, and the evil Saudis manipulating oil prices (because Mother Russia has no reserves of its own that it knew how to use) to weaken the Almighty Russia, then they don't have as much on the ball as you think they do.

To whomever is the mod here, I'm sorry to get political, but I couldn't let this one go. I'd rather this sub-forum was just about science. 

*shakes head in disbelief*

The Kool Aid is so strong with some...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, duderonomy said:

There is no Cold War II, and now that Trump has redirected NASA towards space instead of Muslim outreach, the U.S. will win as it always does.

I know that must rankle your Islam loving Russia loving soul, Mr. I Was Born In The States! but it's true. Yes, the Soviets were the first ones in space, but where is their interstellar craft still flying? I suppose it's true that the Germans invented the first automobile too, but it took Henry Ford to make it available and affordable. How many Russian or Islamic cars pass you everyday on the freeway?

I'm sure Putin is doing everything he can to remove Western influence. I hope you enjoy your new dark age. If all it takes is a few sanctions, a little isolation, a bit of undermining, and the evil Saudis manipulating oil prices (because Mother Russia has no reserves of its own that it knew how to use) to weaken the Almighty Russia, then they don't have as much on the ball as you think they do.

To whomever is the mod here, I'm sorry to get political, but I couldn't let this one go. I'd rather this sub-forum was just about science. 

LOL

I'll let most of this go as it's all quite silly. I have to mention though that it's Russia that puts US astronauts in space these days as NASA's space shuttle program is kaput. Also, the US lost its capability of building rocket engines. When the US realized that congressional sanctions barred them from buying Russian rocket engines, they did a quick 180 and made those exempt, otherwise US satellites would have been dead in the water.

Ok, wallow away. 

3 hours ago, Vigile said:

LOL

I'll let most of this go as it's all quite silly. I have to mention though that it's Russia that puts US astronauts in space these days as NASA's space shuttle program is kaput. Also, the US lost its capability of building rocket engines. When the US realized that congressional sanctions barred them from buying Russian rocket engines, they did a quick 180 and made those exempt, otherwise US satellites would have been dead in the water.

Ok, wallow away. 

Yeah, we've really screwed the pooch on a lot of this since Congress "engineers" a lot of things for NASA anymore (I'm looking more towards the SLS program but it's everywhere).  If they'd get out of the way and let actual rocket scientists build things instead of putting all their states on the dole we might get things done and in a somewhat reasonable fashion.  But that won't happen so we get what we get.

I've seen the Atlas V launch while at the cape.  It's nothing compared to the shuttle but still fun to watch.  I'm hoping to catch a Space-X launch (and landing) while I'm out there (hopefully the upcoming Falcon Heavy which should pack a punch though I don't know if they'll try try to land it right away or hold off awhile).

mwc

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Vigile said:

LOL

Ok, wallow away. 

Yet you ignore the part where I ask where is the Russian interstellar craft still flying while I was wallowing away.  Silly me, right? The U.S now has private companies launching into space with its evil capitalism. What has Russia done lately other than being a useful taxi service with its copied tech that the U.S. doesn't even need anymore to supply the ISS?

Vigile, I seriously am done doing the Spy vs. Spy thing in this sub-forum. You knock yourself out.

20 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

What has Russia done lately other than being a useful taxi service with its copied tech that the U.S. doesn't even need anymore to supply the ISS?

Define "lately".

Would "lately" mean something like "since the early 90s when Russia got opened up to predator capitalism which dumped the nation into the worst crisis since the end of Stalin's reign"?

If so, will you ask next why, say, Afghanistan doesn't have its own space program?

Even if we see all this as some kind of contest that Russia lost so ha haa! we ignore that it was all but a fair contest from the very start. Someone indeed seems to knock themselves out but I wouldn't be that sure it's Vig.

4 minutes ago, Thurisaz said:

Define "lately".

Would "lately" mean something like "since the early 90s when Russia got opened up to predator capitalism which dumped the nation into the worst crisis since the end of Stalin's reign"?

If so, will you ask next why, say, Afghanistan doesn't have its own space program?

Even if we see all this as some kind of contest that Russia lost so ha haa! we ignore that it was all but a fair contest from the very start. Someone indeed seems to knock themselves out but I wouldn't be that sure it's Vig.

Nice try, fellow that has turned into a bit of an asshat. Not going to do it here.

Define "lately" indeed. smh 

2 hours ago, Thurisaz said:

What has Russia done lately

Oh, just advance 3-4 generations ahead of the US in terms of anti missile tech and rocket tech. 

Dude seems to think the world is a football game and he's rooting for the patriots. Winning doesn't mean being the richest, most powerful, able to tell the rest of the world what to do. Winning simply means being safe from outside influence and creating a nurturing, healthy environment where kids can be raised to get a good education and contribute to the next generation. Sadly, America is failing badly here. Kids in Baltimore can't even get heat in their schools now while the government spends its money on jails and weapons. 

2 hours ago, duderonomy said:

...fellow that has turned into a bit of an asshat...

Well see it like that (if you will)... if this new cold war they're pushing everywhere ever goes hot, guess who'll certainly be fucked no matter how that war proceeds and in which way?

Therefore, yes, I'm kind of allergic against people playing along with this pissing contest. I have more to lose than you, or at least I more certainly have things to lose.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Yet you ignore the part where I ask where is the Russian interstellar craft still flying while I was wallowing away.  Silly me, right? The U.S now has private companies launching into space with its evil capitalism. What has Russia done lately other than being a useful taxi service with its copied tech that the U.S. doesn't even need anymore to supply the ISS?

Actually, we do need the Russians unless you want to simply supply an empty station.  We don't have any vehicles that can safely take human cargo.  We're almost back in that game but at this point we have nothing.

For decades the Russians had a great many accomplishments that went unrecognized in the West.  It doesn't hurt us to recognize that they did those things.  Sure, it takes away some of our "firsts" but does that really matter?  As you've already noticed we've managed to do a whole hell of a lot.  More than any other nation on the planet.  More than all the other nations combined.  To recognize what everyone else has done, and is doing, doesn't impact us or our accomplishments.  Space is more than big enough for all to explore.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2017 at 12:00 AM, Fweethawt said:

Well look at them go! Yay them.

Should all of humanity get credit for what they're doing? 

Let's not forget these guys too who the USA borrowed!

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/nazi-scientists-space-program-2014-2?r=US&IR=T

On 1/8/2018 at 12:54 AM, Thurisaz said:

Well see it like that (if you will)... if this new cold war they're pushing everywhere ever goes hot, guess who'll certainly be fucked no matter how that war proceeds and in which way?

Therefore, yes, I'm kind of allergic against people playing along with this pissing contest. I have more to lose than you, or at least I more certainly have things to lose.

Thurisaz, my first thought was to say that if you have so much to lose there, then pay your NATO bill! Then I realized that my saying such a thing would just provoke you to respond, and then the race would be on.

I remember you saying a few days ago that you were going to try to stay out of "political" threads, and I said I was going to as well, and now here I am in the middle of this one. 

I've really thought about this today, and I think you had the right idea.

Look, I get rankled when you say ISA instead of USA. That's why my come back about Muslim Germany. It occurs to me that we aren't that much different than the people running our respective countries. We are all human and flawed. There isn't a lot of sense in sniping at each other here all the time, and I don't mean just you and I, I mean myself and anybody.

The reason I'm saying this here is because I called you a "fellow that turned into a bit of an asshat" here. I want to apologize for that. I should save such comments for people who actually are asshats, and I don't for a second think you are one, just because we disagree. I know from other subjects that have come up over the years that we also have a lot in common.

I really think you a good person from what I've seen here on Ex-C, and we can disagree until the cows come home, but I'm tired of all of the swipes being taken at people by other people and I'm one of the worst at doing it sometimes. 

Anyway, I hope you accept my apology for calling you a name in such a childish way. I'll still argue and be a pain to some people in ToT about abortion, "Man Made Climate Change" and other subjects including even some politics, but when it comes to this sub-forum? I don't want to do that here , and I barely want to do it in ToT anymore unless it's for fun. 

Apology accepted and point taken. Yeah I trust you know, on the rational level, that when I said ISA I didn't mean to imply that every single citizen of the nation is happy about the shit happening on the US government level, so in my ideal world everyone realizes that and just shrugs. Admittedly though this world is anything but ideal, so there. :)

I'm 100 % sincere now in stating: If you catch me using the ISA term again feel free to remind me of this very posting where I announce that I will do my best to not keep using that term ;)

• Thanks 1

Humanity means being human, it doesn't mean including all humanity.  These achievements shows what humans are capable of.