Burnedout

U.S. to Recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital

U.S. to Recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital, Trump Says, Alarming Middle East Leaders

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the American Embassy there, upending nearly seven decades of American foreign policy and potentially destroying his efforts to broker peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

Mr. Trump’s decision, a high-risk foray into the thicket of the Middle East, was driven not by diplomatic calculations but by a campaign promise. He appealed to evangelicals and ardently pro-Israel American Jews in 2016 by vowing to move the embassy, and advisers said on Tuesday he was determined to make good on his word. [Snipped]

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

More blood has been split over this city than probably any other in history.

Why?

Because all the religious folks thinks its holy to their religion and God.

Watch everyone start claiming prophesy fulfilled.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Watch everyone start claiming prophesy fulfilled.

I’ve already seen so many people on Facebook say that.

4 minutes ago, Borticus said:

I’ve already seen so many people on Facebook say that.

Hmm maybe I can start claiming prophetic abilities... I can tell when people will start to claim prophesy fulfilled... that makes me a PROPHET and if I'm smart I can turn it into a PROFIT :D 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Hmm maybe I can start claiming prophetic abilities... I can tell when people will start to claim prophesy fulfilled... that makes me a PROPHET and if I'm smart I can turn it into a PROFIT :D 

Doesn’t this correlate with something in Revelations though? I haven’t read the book in ages.

Just now, Borticus said:

Doesn’t this correlate with something in Revelations though? I haven’t read the book in ages.

"Then I saw a New Jerusalem coming down from Heaven?

You could claim this is fulfilled because the old Jerusalem was wiped clean by the Romans in 70AD. Thus when it was rebuilt it was 'new'.

25 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

"Then I saw a New Jerusalem coming down from Heaven?

You could claim this is fulfilled because the old Jerusalem was wiped clean by the Romans in 70AD. Thus when it was rebuilt it was 'new'.

Was that all in Revelations? Eh maybe it was from the OT I was thinking. Good point with the Romans though.

On 12/6/2017 at 2:37 PM, Borticus said:

No.  It's just all the vague shit about Israel gathering back together and all that nonsense.  How god gave the land to Israel and then they lost it (how many times now?) and so when god is going to do his thing (again?) he'll get the band back together and show everyone what's what.  Those lame prophecies.  The same old songs that they've been singing since the first time this shit happened a few thousand years ago.

So now we have this move showing that Jerusalem really *is* the capital.  Well, boy howdy, that's the final nail that god needed to do whatever the fuck this go around...or not.  It's really up to everyone else to decide if they're pissed off enough to go to war.  If not we'll just keep poking the bears until something happens and then that will mean god was ready to act right then but not before (must have been some more to the prophecies or maybe the mystical magical clock that runs heaven was a tad off compared to what we thought it should be or something).

mwc

• Like 1

This guy and I probably disagree on 90% of issues politically, but he makes sense on this one.  

13 hours ago, Burnedout said:

This guy and I probably disagree on 90% of issues politically, but he makes sense on this one.  

Liberals refuse to openly support Hamas?  We don't support Hamas secretly either, terrorism harms the peace effort as does reversing 70 years of US policy, understanding that any two-state solution involves a splitting of Jerusalem with the Eastern portion going to Palestine.  This just made a two-state solution impossible and war will likely break out.  I don't want another intifada over this, Trump does though and all the Zionists and Evangelicals are celebrating.  

15 hours ago, mwc said:

No.  It's just all the vague shit about Israel gathering back together and all that nonsense.  How god gave the land to Israel and then they lost it (how many times now?) and so when god is going to do his thing (again?) he'll get the band back together and show everyone what's what.  Those lame prophecies.  The same old songs that they've been singing since the first time this shit happened a few thousand years ago.

So now we have this move showing that Jerusalem really *is* the capital.  Well, boy howdy, that's the final nail that god needed to do whatever the fuck this go around...or not.  It's really up to everyone else to decide if they're pissed off enough to go to war.  If not we'll just keep poking the bears until something happens and then that will mean god was ready to act right then but not before (must have been some more to the prophecies or maybe the mystical magical clock that runs heaven was a tad off compared to what we thought it should be or something).

mwc

The best part about this for Evangelicals is that it makes war more likely with Israel, which is necessary for the revelation.  That is what is worth celebrating if you believe in prophecy.  For the rest of us, just more young men to be shipped off to be slaughtered in an avoidable conflict.  

• Like 1

What a stupid move. Why do this Mr. Trump? A lot of people are going to die because you wanted to please your whacko base, and this move will accomplish absolutely nothing worthwhile. ^_^

9 hours ago, Geezer said:

What a stupid move. Why do this Mr. Trump? A lot of people are going to die because you wanted to please your whacko base, and this move will accomplish absolutely nothing worthwhile. ^_^

And there was any real peace as it stood?  This may be just a kind of acknowledgement of the obvious.  To a Muslim, peace means everybody is Muslim or dead.  To a Jew, a Christian, an athiest, or virtually all other religious or non religious, peace means a cessation or non activity in warfare or hostilities.  There have been negotiations with the Palesenians for 70 years, no matter how many times the Israelis offered concessions, the Palestenians still didn't want peace.  If there are two sides in a conflict and one of the two sides doesn't want peace, no matter how much the other side or the observers of the two want it, it isn't going to happen.  So, if it is war they want, GIVE IT TO THEM. 

I don't think anyone goes to war over this. The hoi polloi who will be offended by this doesn't have the power to go to war. Those who use their anger do. They may or may not use their anger to if it's in their interest, but it won't be the primary motivation. 

Where Trump fucked up is he forced the Palestinians to reject the US as a viable broker out of hand and will cause them to rely further on the Russians. He will also further stress the relationship with other Muslim partners in the region, such as the Saudis and the Turks. In terms of cold war strategy, he played the US a losing hand. Or, should I say, AIPAC played a losing hand using its US assets. 

7 hours ago, Burnedout said:

And there was any real peace as it stood?  This may be just a kind of acknowledgement of the obvious.  To a Muslim, peace means everybody is Muslim or dead.  To a Jew, a Christian, an athiest, or virtually all other religious or non religious, peace means a cessation or non activity in warfare or hostilities.  There have been negotiations with the Palesenians for 70 years, no matter how many times the Israelis offered concessions, the Palestenians still didn't want peace.  If there are two sides in a conflict and one of the two sides doesn't want peace, no matter how much the other side or the observers of the two want it, it isn't going to happen.  So, if it is war they want, GIVE IT TO THEM. 

I'm not sure you understand the situation and I'm pretty sure you'd be on the Palestinian side if this happened to you.

Maybe go back to see where most of the Jews were before and at the end of the war, how it was decided (mainly Zionist policies) that landed them back where they are and how it is the people that really were living there weren't given any real say in the matter but just had to deal with the flood of refugees.

Here's the nice version from the Holocaust Encyclopedia.  It leaves out all the stuff about Jewish terrorism (look up Irgun (sp?) or King David Hotel bombing for examples).

mwc

• Thanks 1

Dont the surrounding nations also refuse to let the refugees enter and build their lives?  If so, why isnt egypt also condemed for not letting them build and live there. 

Seems like a humanitarian crisis might warrant all countries in the area pitching in to help?

I should google this

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Dont the surrounding nations also refuse to let the refugees enter and build their lives?  If so, why isnt egypt also condemed for not letting them build and live there. 

Seems like a humanitarian crisis might warrant all countries in the area pitching in to help?

I should google this

Israel isn't just refusing to allow refugees in. Israel is launching a full on attack of the people it keeps stealing land from and is exerting a system of apartheid inside the country. Israel is building on land that belongs to the Palestinians and breaking international law in the process.