Goodbye Jesus

Greetings

androgynousApocalypse

I'm not all that good at introduction but my name is Jess and I'm an eighteen year old from Colorado. I was raised in a Christian family (as in pretty much the entirety of my family is either Christian or Catholic). I started questioning Christianity when I was maybe 6 or 7, stopped identifying as Christian at 12, and started identifying as agnostic at 16. I've been struggling to de-program myself for quite a while but it's proven to be quite a challenge. I wanted to join ex-christian.net so I could hopefully find support and helpful advice. 

Thanks for letting me join.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, androgynousApocalypse said:

I'm not all that good at introduction but my name is Jess and I'm an eighteen year old from Colorado. I was raised in a Christian family (as in pretty much the entirety of my family is either Christian or Catholic). I started questioning Christianity when I was maybe 6 or 7, stopped identifying as Christian at 12, and started identifying as agnostic at 16. I've been struggling to de-program myself for quite a while but it's proven to be quite a challenge. I wanted to join ex-christian.net so I could hopefully find support and helpful advice. 

Thanks for letting me join.

I've noticed people here have kick ass avatar's, that's got to mean something. I frequent Christian forum's, and a lot of their members avatar's are so cheesy.

Sorry you are having a hard time deprogramming, took me about 3-4 years to get that junk out. But there is always residual memory left over (I got that from Ghost in the shell) Hey, you know what cheers me up?

Laughing.

Watch some comedians who debunk Christianity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Jess

Deconversion is very rarely easy but there is plenty of combined wisdom and experience on this forum. Ask questions and read through the many topics here.

I agree with primary zero - watching comedians shred religion is great education and entertainment. Watch some of George Carlin who in my opinion was the king of atheist comedians. 

Cheers

LF 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Jess, I hope this site will be of as much use to you as it has to me. I'm more or less on the tail end of disconcerting myself, but am an "atheist in the closet" as it were, amidst a family of fundamentalist Christians. 

And comedians are always fun, I've actuallky been listening to a lot of Tim Minshin recently who has a lot to say about religion. I'd also recommend listening/reading the works of Christopher Hitchens if you haven't already. His book "God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" really went a long way to help me deconvert.

• Thanks 1

Welcome. Glad you found this site. I think you will find this site helpful. 

• Thanks 1

Hey, @androgynousApocalypse!

Welcome to the Ex-C! Glad you found us!

Deprogramming is a bitch - we all know. Took me about two years and I was never "on fire for Jesus!" My biggest challenge is getting on with the fams. Bunch of screaming fundy-ass, uneducated (for the most part), verbally violent, misguided coke-soccers they are.

If you want to see a picture of them grab any encyclopedia (or google) and look under SELF-RIGHTEOUS. :3some:

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2017 at 1:45 AM, primaryzero said:

I've noticed people here have kick ass avatar's, that's got to mean something. I frequent Christian forum's, and a lot of their members avatar's are so cheesy.

Sorry you are having a hard time deprogramming, took me about 3-4 years to get that junk out. But there is always residual memory left over (I got that from Ghost in the shell) Hey, you know what cheers me up?

Laughing.

Watch some comedians who debunk Christianity.

That actually sounds like some really solid advice, thank you. Do you have any specific comedians that you could recommend?? 

2 hours ago, androgynousApocalypse said:

That actually sounds like some really solid advice, thank you. Do you have any specific comedians that you could recommend?? 

Go to YouTube and search for comedian's debunk religion.

That's how I started, back when I was deprogramming. 

Also look up

Thunderf00t

Darkmatter2525

The cult of dusty

The Amazing Atheist

33 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

Go to YouTube and search for comedian's debunk religion.

That's how I started, back when I was deprogramming. 

Also look up

Thunderf00t

Darkmatter2525

The cult of dusty

The Amazing Atheist

On the topic of youtube atheist channels the following are great for debunking religion

Cosmic Skeptic (Young but brilliant)

RachelOates

The Atheist Experience

Potholer54 (For science related stuff, the guy is awesome)

Answers in Insanity (has many debates linked to his channel)

Viced Rhino

Armored Skeptic 

I found a link on this site that listed many youtubers: