Goodbye Jesus

What do you believe

realityrunt

It still amazes me how the Christians I talk to keep pushing their theology down my throat, even though they know I'm not interested. It seems to them that the key is I've just got to "Believe" in it all.

Hang on a second.

If your god is real, why is this real thing to be believed in? Shouldn't it rather be something I actually know, and what I know substantiated by facts. I mean how in the world Christians do you think you know your god is real if you only trust in your beliefs, and never take it any further.

You don't seem to care to much about building a solid case for your god, doesn't he say that "My people perish because of lack of knowledge"

Yeah the Bible does.

Hosea 4:6

Strange it says "Knowledge" and not belief.

• Like 2

Most Christian sects promote both vertical and horizontal spreading of the particular God Virus strain which already infects them.  It's hardly surprising that many Christians will attempt to spread that virus strain.

• Super Moderator

The scientific name of the virus is fundamentalis evangelicus, in case you were wondering.  It is both pathogenic and extremely virulent; and we seem to have been seeing a widespread epidemic here in America since 9/11.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think they do it because of fear of hell. I came across an interesting set of survey results from Pew Research Center that showed about 70% of people believed in heaven and about 50% believed in hell. So half of Americans are scared if they don't convert you that you're going to hell. That's a lot of people, which is why it's so annoying.

• Super Moderator
36 minutes ago, end3 said:

You don't want people going to hell do you...

No.  But we aren't afforded the same opportunities to prevent it that god has.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

No.  But we aren't afforded the same opportunities to prevent it that god has.

I'm starting to think salvation is not as difficult as it's made out.  We all know we are faulty, but breaking trust between others is, imo, the narrow vs. wide path.  I may realize you are and ass and you likewise, but not giving up on the other is the key.  This outside the prescribed trust in Christ.... 

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

I think they do it because of fear of hell. I came across an interesting set of survey results from Pew Research Center that showed about 70% of people believed in heaven and about 50% believed in hell. So half of Americans are scared if they don't convert you that you're going to hell. That's a lot of people, which is why it's so annoying.

Believed in things are real thing's, then what are real thing's?

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, realityrunt said:

It still amazes me how the Christians I talk to keep pushing their theology down my throat, even though they know I'm not interested. It seems to them that the key is I've just got to "Believe" in it all.

Hang on a second.

If your god is real, why is this real thing to be believed in? Shouldn't it rather be something I actually know, and what I know substantiated by facts. I mean how in the world Christians do you think you know your god is real if you only trust in your beliefs, and never take it any further.

You don't seem to care to much about building a solid case for your god, doesn't he say that "My people perish because of lack of knowledge"

Yeah the Bible does.

Hosea 4:6

Strange it says "Knowledge" and not belief.

I don't think knowledge is limited to facts... see below.

knowl·edge
ˈnäləj/  
noun
noun: knowledge; plural noun: knowledges
  1. 1.
    facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

1 hour ago, end3 said:

You don't want people going to hell do you...

Go to a place you believe in, and that Jesus believed in. 

1 minute ago, end3 said:

I don't think knowledge is limited to facts... see below.

knowl·edge
ˈnäləj/  
noun
noun: knowledge; plural noun: knowledges
  1. 1.
    facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Are you referring to experience here?

7 minutes ago, realityrunt said:

Believed in things are real thing's, then what are real thing's?

Well no, if I believe in unicorns one does not appear. But beliefs can affect people's actions, even if the beliefs are not true.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Well no, if I believe in unicorns one does not appear. But beliefs can affect people's actions, even if the beliefs are not true.

No one's seen hell, no one's experienced hell (With their senses), no one's visited hell, not even Jesus. So I'd say it's up there with the flying spaghetti unicorns.

13 minutes ago, realityrunt said:

No one's seen hell, no one's experienced hell (With their senses), no one's visited hell, not even Jesus. So I'd say it's up there with the flying spaghetti unicorns.

I think there are things that even science points to as fact, but are only believed to be true. 

5 minutes ago, end3 said:

I think there are things that even science points to as fact, but are only believed to be true. 

If it is pointing to facts then it will have a hypothesis at the very least. What hypothesis do you have End3 to base the comment on you made about hell.

17 minutes ago, realityrunt said:

If it is pointing to facts then it will have a hypothesis at the very least. What hypothesis do you have End3 to base the comment on you made about hell.

Just makes me wonder when the Bible talks about levels of Heaven and we postulate multiverses....

17 minutes ago, end3 said:

Just makes me wonder when the Bible talks about levels of Heaven and we postulate multiverses....

Let's get back to the question about substantiating facts. (Lets use the hell belief for instance) How do Christians substantiate hell as a fact, when there is no sensory evidence for it. 

47 minutes ago, end3 said:

Please think more about this statement. 

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, end3 said:

I'm starting to think salvation is not as difficult as it's made out.  We all know we are faulty, but breaking trust between others is, imo, the narrow vs. wide path.  I may realize you are and ass and you likewise, but not giving up on the other is the key.  This outside the prescribed trust in Christ.... 

If we can understand this, why does it seem like your omniscient god cannot?  What is hell if not god giving up on us because he thinks we're assholes?

44 minutes ago, end3 said:

In my father's house there are many mansions.

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

If we can understand this, why does it seem like your omniscient god cannot?  What is hell if not god giving up on us because he thinks we're assholes?

23 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Please think more about this statement. 

Was trying to describe a statement like "thermodynamic equilibrium".  In my limited mind Jeff, (and feel free to help me out), this is a theoretical "point" or truth, but in reality, nothing is static.

33 minutes ago, realityrunt said:

Let's get back to the question about substantiating facts. (Lets use the hell belief for instance) How do Christians substantiate hell as a fact, when there is no sensory evidence for it. 

I don't think they do substantiate it as fact.  As I said before, a centuries old book talks about levels of Heaven and we are now postulating multiverses.  That personally makes me think the dots are connected.  Some folks, no.

4 minutes ago, end3 said:

I don't think they do substantiate it as fact.  As I said before, a centuries old book talks about levels of Heaven and we are now postulating multiverses.  That personally makes me think the dots are connected.  Some folks, no.

Well levels of heaven are different than the multiverse. I think you're making a inaccurate connection.

40 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I don't have a good answer Prof.  I gather it's something we need to learn as individuals.  And I gather it's rather important to God that we do.  I'm also dismayed at the method he has chosen for class/school.