Here's an intro to paganism. I took a dip into paganism a number of years ago and really enjoyed it. But I discovered that I was more interested in the magic aspect than earth centered worship or deity worship. Moving through magical practices, picking and choosing what I liked and tossing the rest was liberating after being a Christian. :) There is no fixed dogma in paganism and solitary practice is very popular. You can create your own spiritual path from the ground up ... or pick a preexisting path. Someone wise once said that it was foolishness to try and explain their own personal pagan spirituality because nobody besides him/her would understand it anyway. Humorous and true, I think.

https://paganfed.org/index.php/paganism/introduction-to-paganism

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I remember that shortly after deconverting, my wife took me to a New Age crystal shop. I gravitated to the witchcraft aisle and the pentacle rug. No idea why, but it felt like home, rather strongly. I told the shop keeper that it felt like being hugged by mom. Since then I've been a lot more Earth/nature oriented.

• Like 1

It's such a varied subject the best way to get a handle on paganism is to talk to pagans.  Most of us go a rather individualistic path.  Some emphasise the "magic" aspect but perhaps it's less common than is generally thought.  Some who identify as pagan are avowedly atheistic.  Categorisation is particularly difficult when there is no accepted doctrine.  Arguably, paganism is not a "religion" at all, but just a generic description of ideas and practices based (however loosely) on a modern interpretation and understanding (more or less historically accurate in any given case) of pre-Christian religious and philosophical concepts.

But let's not be unbalanced.  Pagans have their share of idiots and the prejudiced as well.  A smaller share, maybe, but they are out there.

On 12/25/2017 at 3:01 PM, Fuego said:

I remember that shortly after deconverting, my wife took me to a New Age crystal shop. I gravitated to the witchcraft aisle and the pentacle rug. No idea why, but it felt like home, rather strongly. I told the shop keeper that it felt like being hugged by mom. Since then I've been a lot more Earth/nature oriented.

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I'm new here and wanted to respond. My story is similar to yours in that I also felt drawn to witchcraft and nature beliefs. I just started this journey, but I am finding that I am a much happier, more relaxed person since I accepted who I truly am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still very nature loving (no so much hiking, but just being in it, gardening and feeding birds). I haven't done much with the witchcraft since then. I know a handful of people that are loosely witches, but more tarot readers, psychics, and mediums. I just tossed a bunch of books and incense stuff in a general house cleaning, because I wasn't using them anymore and no one seems to want books these days (and they all have too many of their own in this crowd). I still have quite a collection of crystals and minerals, but I don't do anything with them now. I am going to put some in our water feature for the beauty aspect of them, and just hang onto a few of the choice ones. I have an outstanding large celestite geode that is gorgeous.

I do wonder if I've "lost connection". I used to experience some powerful things when I was a believer, and I attributed them to the bible god at the time. Now I wonder what I was actually experiencing, and why I felt so at home among the witchy things. The shop owners said that I was standing over an energy vortex, which is why they had the shop there. I don't know. These days I don't experience anything noticeable in that realm, but I am far more aware of how my thoughts and emotions seem to be occasionally manipulated by what feels like another personality. So I have to make choices about what kinds of energy, thoughts, or emotions that I choose to embody, and make conscious consistent choices against some things and for some other things, based on what I want to be as a person. In the past I might have described that as temptation, but it is more subtle than that, more like something wants to use my being to play out its odd thoughts and desires, until I notice it and say No. I realize that sounds mental, but the witchy folks I know say it is common among those of us who are "sensitive" to other realms. They have all kinds of beliefs about what these things can be, and I'm not sure I ascribe to that, but it's interesting to know I'm not the only one feeling like something wants to use me as an avatar.

I've also been interested in the concept of Tantra and the kundalini power that is said to rise up from the base of the spine to make connection with the "god" or life from which all life comes, and then circles back down to fill the person with a tremendous sense of connection and a changed view of self and purpose. I have not pursued it much, but have friends who have experienced it.

• Like 1

@Fuego, life is a continuous journey. I think our beliefs change as we grow. And we need to go where we feel drawn, even if some things change. From what I understand, a Wiccan chooses their own beliefs, they don't always follow everyone else (or other Wiccans). This is common with those who practice alone. Not sure about other groups or covens, since I am still learning. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneBlueSky said:

@Fuego, life is a continuous journey. I think our beliefs change as we grow. And we need to go where we feel drawn, even if some things change.

Our beliefs change as we grow. I think that is a profound statement. I'm not sure why I would need to choose one belief and stick with it as my final conclusion. My life is in flux. Let my beliefs go with the flow.

• Like 2