Goodbye Jesus

BAA

duderonomy

farewell mark. 

who knows our atoms may fused together lihht light years away and become a bright star. 

my science is up to atoms and earth level only

• Like 3

:( I always enjoyed reading what Mark had to say.

Till we meet again, fellow stardust.

• Like 6

Tough to hear this.  I remember how BAA was one of the first people to respond to my initial post on this site, and how much I learned from him in reading his commentary here.  My condolences to Mark's family.

• Like 4

Gawd, I am still having a really hard time with this.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, mymistake said:

Gawd, I am still having a really hard time with this.  

Me too. It's been a kick to the gut, and it's not going away.

I'm posting this here because it reminds me of the way that BAA operated on this board. Always taking the risk of thinking for himself, and always engaging in "the only conversation worth having". His perspective is missed by us all.

• Like 5

I also have to agree with you. He left an indelible mark on my life. I never met him, never even saw him, have no idea what he looks like and all I know of him is words he typed on a screen, yet he impacted me so much. It's profound to think that someone I know so little about has helped me so much. I think of him every time I log in. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Mods, if anyone has the hard facts of what happened, I'd like to be informed of the circumstances surrounding the accident, even if PM is the only appropriate way of relaying that info. I just like to have things given to me straight, I sit around wondering what exactly happened. I feel like I'm better off knowing rather than wondering. 

If anyone here knows, please PM me. We can keep it unsaid if that's the way it should be left on the public boards. 

Thanks. 

I'm not sure if anyone knows all the details, other than what Maureen wrote (see above). And if one knew... dunno, what good would it be? But yeah, if someone does know and will tell you via PM, fine with me ;)

• Super Moderator

@Joshpantera    Maureen PM'd me via BAA's account.  I posted what she said, verbatim.  I don't even know why it was me she PM'd.  First alphabetically on the Moderator list?  I wish I knew more.

9 hours ago, buffettphan said:

@Joshpantera    Maureen PM'd me via BAA's account.  I posted what she said, verbatim.  I don't even know why it was me she PM'd.  First alphabetically on the Moderator list?  I wish I knew more.

Thanks. 

These circumstances are bizarre, to say the least. Does anyone know Mark's last name? Can we find an obituary? 

2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Thanks. 

These circumstances are bizarre, to say the least. Does anyone know Mark's last name? Can we find an obituary? 

It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure it out. His last post was somewhere around the last couple of days in November and we know his accident was at the end of November, so you could probably google his first name plus car accident along with the date. 

I'm grieving for BAA too but let's not pry too much.  If he wanted me to know his last name I think he would have told me in a PM.  He obviously cared about his family and would want us to respect their wishes and privacy.

I was in envy of BAA because he had this talent for robust, tour-de-force analysis.  He approached problems in the polar opposite to the way that I do so his insight was always useful to me.  I told him how much I appreciated it on several occasions but now that feels so inadequate.  I'm in tears.  He was as good a friend as somebody could have on the internet.  I only wish I had known him offline in the real world but it was not meant to be.

• Like 4

I know Mark wasn't a fanatic about Spock, but he chose that character as his avatar because he looked at things logically. He was also a gardener and he said so here publicly more than once.

Here is Leonard Nimoy's last Tweet:   "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

Can't we just let BAA rest in peace? Do we have to know every personal detail?  Myself, I think we should just cherish what he gave this forum and us personally.   

If any among you want to play cyber sleuth please, out of respect, keep your findings to yourself. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We know what happened folks - Mark died in a car crash on the 29th/30th November.

Is knowing anything else going to ease the pain or help?

I do think being able to read obituaries from people who knew him real life would be nice, but that is not our prerogative being internet friends.

I'm sure if Maureen wanted us to read such she would have posted it already.

• Like 6

Like I said, PM me if you know. 

I know that most of you don't want to know the details and they wouldn't be mentioned in public anyways. At this point I'm assuming no one here knows anything beyond what I already know. 

• Like 1

Ah man. A huge loss for this forum.  I loved his ability to make his argument with amazing clarity. He will be missed, but he left us all much to ponder.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saying that I still miss BAA. The Lion's Den and the Science vs. Religion sub-forums aren't the same. I don't think anyone will ever fill his shoes.I'm glad his posts are still here though, because I'll be able to learn from them for years to come. 

• Like 5

Just now, duderonomy said:

Just saying that I still miss BAA. The Lion's Den and the Science vs. Religion sub-forums aren't the same. I don't think anyone will ever fill his shoes.I'm glad his posts are still here though, because I'll be able to learn from them for years to come. 

Me too Dude, me too. I catch myself thinking about BAA, what he'd be posting in certain topics. The wisdom he'd be able to impart. One of a kind and sorely missed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm also still missing him and his contributions here. He was, and remains, an inspiration.

• Like 4

Preach that (ha ha) brother!

I just caught this thread.  I wasn't going to read it at all since I thought it was just another call-out thread considering the forum.  I have to say I'm a bit shaken by the news.  I guess you've all had time to adjust but for me it's all new.  I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already other than I'm sorry I didn't read this sooner.

mwc

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...