Goodbye Jesus

BAA

duderonomy

May you visit a multitude of Stars during your long journey. 

Goodbye BAA/Mark, you are missed already. 

Jeff

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow. This is a shock and very sad news. We are left with a BAA-shaped hole that none can fill, but may we all take comfort in knowing that his contributions have been immortalized on this board.

R.I.P. Mark

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Words fail me now. I'm shocked and saddened. 

I enjoyed our conversations and I learned so much from him. I enjoyed the way he challenged me and my way of thinking. His attention to detail and how he carefully crafted his posts and responses will forever impact my way of participating in these forums. 

Rest in peace, Mark. You'll be missed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well... fuck.

BAA was one of the bright spots here at Ex-C, a person that made it worth visiting. His never-tiring commitment to fighting scientific bullshit was something I admired, but he was always able to be so damn nice about it, too, which is something I always envied.

I think it was Carl Sagan that said that life is the Universe observing itself. Now, it has one less person's perspective. You'll be missed, BAA.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

The immortality of the dead is in the memory of the living.  Rest in peaceful memory, my friend, my mentor, my muse.

John

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My deepest, deepest sorrow for BAA's passing. I know I don't hang out much nowadays, but I always looked forward to BAA's very patient takedowns of Christian apologetics talking points. They were an education of inestimable value--just as he himself was an ex-Christian of inestimable compassion and intelligence. I cannot imagine the pain Maureen faces and offer my most profound condolences to her and the rest of BAA's circle of friends.

I'll always remember this eulogy - and its optimism and forward-thinking. In these and many other ways, it was a perfect reflection of BAA himself. I will miss him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thought2Much said:

I think it was Carl Sagan that said that life is the Universe observing itself. Now, it has one less person's perspective. You'll be missed, BAA.

We are a way for the cosmos to know itself. - C. Sagan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

BAA certainly left a very positive mark on this site.

Call it religious if you want, or call it poetic, but a certain stanza from the Poetic Edda's "Havamal" comes to my mind. In memoriam!

Cattle die, | and kinsmen die,
And so one dies one's self;
One thing now | that never dies,
The fame of a dead man's deeds.

Viewed with the eyes of a man of the Vikings' faith... may he be carried to Valhalla, maybe not because he was a brave warrior (though perhaps he was... what do I know?), but for his wisdom. The sagas say Odin is, among other things, the God of wisdom so the two should like each other :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m sadden about hearing of the passing of Mark. My prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I didn’t have much interaction with Mark but I appreciate the great contribution he made here.  He was a smart, articulate voice for reason and for defending and encouraging ex-Christians.  His sudden loss is a shock.  I hope that Maureen’s pain, and the pain of others who loved him, will in time be eased by the happy memories and by the knowledge of the good he did. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The world has lost a great mind. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

I am so sad.  :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

WTF? 

I literally just read this. Unbelievable! I've been busy after the hurricane and with the snow bird season. I started a new business and haven't been on much. I did notice that I wasn't seeing any BAA posts. But a car accident? 

RIP, buddy. 

BAA had the right idea, though. He put it as clearly as it can be put. 

But I'm still going to miss the hell out of him nonetheless.....

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Sorry for turning this into a "let's remember the good times with BAA" thread but...what am I saying? Of course I'm not sorry!

I was digging through old PMs between BAA and me. We used to chat every so often about astrophysics and cosmology, as well as argumentative strategies for dealing with specific Christian claims here in the Lion's Den. Once I was out of touch for a couple months because I was off in rural India getting married, and when I was back in civilization I sent him a message to let him know why I'd ducked out in the middle of one of our strategizing sessions. He replied by talking about a time when he and his partner Maureen had been on vacation and encountered a Hindu wedding party. Looking back on it, his ability to convey imagery via the written word was remarkable. Here is his message to me:

-----------------

Bhim,

About eight years ago my partner Maureen and I were visiting our British friends Neal and Katy and we spent a long weekend with them in London.  One afternoon we dined at the Belvedere, a fine restaurant in the middle of Holland Park.  http://www.belvedererestaurant.co.uk/Intro.html  It's a lovely place and every so often the staff have to shoo the peacocks out, because they wander in from the park! 

Anyway, while we were there I noticed a small group of very elegantly-dressed Hindi (is that right?) gentlemen entering the hotel foyer.  They all wore dazzling white, formal outfits with what Neal told me were Gandhi collars.

Later we saw that a large private room had been booked by them for what was clearly some kind of family celebration.  Because it was high summer, all the doors leading out to the park were left wide open and we caught glimpses of the party moving to and fro as they circulated and mingled, chatting and laughing.

What caught Maureen's eye was the sheer beauty and vibrant colors of the ladies sari's.  Peach, aquamarine, cobalt blue, rose and many other gorgeous shades.  Many decorated with delicate filigrees of gold.  They wore exquisite and elaborate jewelry too.  We soon realized that we were seeing a post-wedding celebration involving the bride and groom's extended families and their many guests and friends. 

OK Bhim, what I'm describing here happened in an urban setting, but if your wedding was anything like this colorful and joyous occasion, then I'm very, very happy for you.

-----------------

BAA, I must say your ability to freely absorb the grandeur of your surroundings knew no distinction between the terrestrial and the astronomical. I wish I had taken even more opportunities to converse with you while you were with us. I regret that I didn't take the time to reciprocate your profound musings on the seemingly trivial activities of life during our conversations, but now that you're gone I'll do my best to learn from your example.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

By the way BAA. Apologies for correcting you a bit too late, but it's Hindu, not Hindi. :lol:

On 1/13/2018 at 4:52 PM, Thought2Much said:

In light of Mark’s final letter, perhaps the cosmos will someday have a new perspective on itself from his atoms.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I give a military salute to BAA. He was a fine champion of Ex-Christianity.

I also give a Vulcan salute to BAA, logician as well as Star Trek fan.

It was good to know you. :)

-Midniterider

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cousin Ricky said:

In light of Mark’s final letter, perhaps the cosmos will someday have a new perspective on itself from his atoms.

That's a nice sentiment. My grandfather, who was also an atheist, was similar to Mark in that he too was a self-taught scientist. He taught himself quantum mechanics, among other things. After my grandmother died, he liked to wax on about the fact that energy never disappears, just changes form. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I never posted directly to any of BAA's posts but I read much of his content here and, I can say, that it was a source of ammunition when debating the fundies.

Mark's posts were also a source for bolstering my convictions during those times when the indoctrination would gain a foothold. There's nothing like clear-concise logic and reason to repel the impact that religious brain washing can sometimes have.

BAA/Mark will be missed...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When words are insufficient, silence is all I can contribute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just read this and I can't believe it - I think I'm still in a state of shock.  I've mostly been lurking here, so people don't know me, but I feel like I know some of you pretty good by reading your posts.  Those posts have been very important to me and have helped me a lot.

BAA was one of those people that I paid a lot of attention to his posts, and enjoyed them a lot.  His understanding of science and his use of logic have been so valuable.   I feel like a really big hole has been left here by his loss.  He will be so missed.  :(

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

On 1/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, ConsiderTheSource said:

I am so sad.  :(

I'm still so sad. Even today. I couldn't get BAA out of my mind.

I read so much on the board about what he was trying to teach about the cosmos but it was so over my head and he knew that. Lol I got just enough to understand a bit, thanks to BAA.

It's like one of our friends is vacant in the room. Someone who was always there. :( For the rest of my life when I see Spocks' face from  Startrek, I will think of BAA.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3